Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:30 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times

Advertisements

Have them come south to visit you too. Trust me, everytime my family comes south to visit, the "Oh I really think we should move here too" comments start becoming more serious. It won't be long, never is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Have them come south to visit you too. Trust me, everytime my family comes south to visit, the "Oh I really think we should move here too" comments start becoming more serious. It won't be long, never is.
That is exactly why I don't want my family visiting here....

They are safely 700 miles away...

Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 PM

417 posts, read 432,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmoresun View Post
So finally after many years of planning and thinking, and thinking and planning some more...we are making the move to Charleston next month. I have missed it ever since I graduated from CofC and am happy to be moving back with my husband and our 3 kids. Unfortunately we have to leave our families who are in NJ and PA to follow our dream...Needless to say, no one is very happy about this, especially the grandparents. We are going to miss them too, so we are going to put in lots of effort to keep in touch and visit for holidays and summer breaks. We go on road trips often and will take trips via plane or train as well. I am just wondering for those of you who have relatives who are a long distance away, how often do you visit them? Do you see them more or less than you planned? Any tips or advice to help with this transition?
almost never. mostly visit parents and if someone happens to visit them at the same time.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 PM

49 posts, read 101,149 times
It will be hard to be away from family, but funny thing is at first everyone was so resistant and in denial...now that they have accepted that we are really going, they have started looking at apartments/condos down there...it won't be long before someone follows us...

Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmoresun View Post
So finally after many years of planning and thinking, and thinking and planning some more...we are making the move to Charleston next month. I have missed it ever since I graduated from CofC and am happy to be moving back with my husband and our 3 kids. Unfortunately we have to leave our families who are in NJ and PA to follow our dream...Needless to say, no one is very happy about this, especially the grandparents. We are going to miss them too, so we are going to put in lots of effort to keep in touch and visit for holidays and summer breaks. We go on road trips often and will take trips via plane or train as well. I am just wondering for those of you who have relatives who are a long distance away, how often do you visit them? Do you see them more or less than you planned? Any tips or advice to help with this transition?
im from mt pleasant, but have lived in ny, rhode island and phildelphia and so travel took 14 to 20 hours to go back home, so once a year maybe twice.

just moved to the west coast, ugggh, and boy to i miss the distance to home every day.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
That is exactly why I don't want my family visiting here....

They are safely 700 miles away...
I'm with Tom! When I moved from Los Angeles to Seattle most of my family eventually found their way North. I'm going to have a strict rule about family only visiting in July or August to prevent that from happening again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area