U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2007, 04:22 PM

267 posts, read 532,757 times

Advertisements

I think we've narrowed down our decision to live in the Dorchester Two District because the schools look good and my husband has a chance to teach there. However, it seems like every school's before/after care program is already filled!! I've called around to some of the day cares that bus, and some have availabilities and some have waiting lists.

We're planning a trip in September and a possible move in November. Does anyone have any insight into this, whether openings come up or not? Should we get on waiting lists when we come down to see what will open up? We kind of need to know what's going to be available before we find somewhere to live. Two of the schools said they have availabilities in their programs now, but I don't know what will be the case when we come down. I'd hate to find a house that we like and no available child care for our kids.

If anyone has dealt with this firsthand, I'd love to hear from ya. We're probably going to rent for a year to see what the area is like, so if we have to rent in an area that has a school that can do the before/after care, that's what we'll do.

Just one more thing to stress about. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 PM

15 posts, read 44,387 times
Hello. I am also planning a move to Summerville, but I will be staying home with my children for the first few months after the move...to settle in. However, here in PA, I teach pre-school in a private elementary school Although our program is considered full day (8-2), many parents need before and after school care. Most of the children in my class are dropped off and/or picked up by private at home care providers, not actual daycares or "programs". In our county, one can get a list of these privately owned daycare homes from the county's office for children's services. Perhaps you could try contacting Dorchester county's services for children or the public welfare office in the area. They may provide the same type of list of certified daycare homes in the area.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 PM

Thanks. Where in PA are you now? We're in Pittsburgh, and since my husband hasn't been able to get a full-time teaching job, we've been lucky enough to have neighbors and teenagers do the before/after thing on an as needed basis.

I'll definitely look into that. I'm such a type A that I've definitely got to have a plan to fall back on or else I just kinda fall apart Not sure when that started, as I was always a seat of the pants kinda girl back in the day.

We're planning a trip down soon, and I just can't wait. I think once we're in town and find an actual house to rent, things will just kind of fall into place. Some of the folks I spoke with today at the day cares mentioned that since there's lots of military folks around that openings come up rather frequently. I keep telling my husband that we're working on all these little pieces of the jigsaw puzzle and pretty soon they'll all fit together and we'll be good to go.

Oh, I'm so type A that I forgot to mention that I don't have an actual job offer yet. I've got an interview on Monday and a realtor here ready to list the house here ASAP. Not sure what I'll do if things fall through, but I've got a feeling that the good Lord is looking out for me.

Thanks for that insight. Anyone else?

Old 08-21-2007, 11:21 PM

22 posts, read 66,076 times
Default Child Care In Summerville

My niece, along with several of my friends children attend this day care:

Childrens Learning Center

They do all ages, including before and after school care. If I lived in Summerville, I would have my children at this center- it's wonderful!

I'm not completely sure, but I think this is in the Dorchester 2 District- if not in it, it's right next to it.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the link. I called them and they do bus to/from certain schools. I've actually found a couple of day cares that have open spaces; I guess I'll just have to see where we can live and go from there.

I actually wrote down all my worries about the move today and possible solutions/answers to them. I'll be sure to review this list often, since it seems to help

Old 08-23-2007, 05:18 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,994,516 times
Congrats on finding those open spaces. I'm glad that's one thing at least that you can cross of your list. Nice work Rizen.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:49 PM

15 posts, read 44,387 times
Hello again...We are from East Stroudsburg PA..it's in the Pocono Mts.....We are way across the state from you! Glad you seem to have found childcare!!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:37 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,865,169 times
there are also tons of church's in the S'Ville area that do day care, my daughter went to Miles Road Baptist pre/aft school from the time she was three yrs old until she was old enough to go to Flowertown Elem in Dorch2

and then Flowertown and Newington have pre/aft care as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: