Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 PM

344 posts, read 1,045,004 times

Advertisements

I'm living in Boston right now. I don't care if people are democrat, republican, etc. But I do like being around educated people who aren't ignorant, racist, etc. etc. (and I'm certainly not saying there is no racism here in Boston cause I see plenty).

But overall I like being in an area that's accepting of different choices, lifestyles, opinions, etc. So I definitely don't want to move somewhere that only has 1 way of doing things... places where it's weird if you don't go to church, or if you date somebody of a different race, or whatever.

Charleston looks like an awesome city and I'm interested in finding a warmer climate than Boston. Can anyone describe the attitude and people of the city of Charleston?

nice, accepting, etc? or not so much

Also culture is a plus. I love eating different foods, going to museums occasionally (okay maybe once per year. ha!) but it's nice to have cultural stuff around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 PM

315 posts, read 621,238 times
Charleston has a huge transplant and tourist population. Most people aren't from there, and most people don't stay longer than 5 years. So it's fairly open to anything because most people don't know each other. That said......there is a quiet, behind closed doors attitude of public conservatism, but a private party life. Strange WONDERFUL city though!!!

Old 10-08-2011, 06:55 PM

315 posts, read 621,238 times
It is very accepting though. Not nearly as judgemental as the rest of state. You'll hear racism is bad, and the usual vocal groups preach it in the media. But interaction between races here are fine, go downtown and party you'll see all races and cultures partying right along side each other having a blast!!!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:37 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,276,068 times
seabass08: How do you come by your statement that "most people don't stay longer than 5 years"?
Do you say this because of CofC or MUSC? Not disputing, just wondering...
And your phrasng seems to state that you're not "from there" either. So again, how do you come by your knowledge?

Last edited by joyeaux; 10-08-2011 at 08:42 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 08:06 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,732,167 times
I think you will find a blend of political and religious values and beliefs here, but for the most part everyone is accepting of one another's differences. We are not the backward, racist people that some ignorant people want to portray us as. Charleston is rich in arts, history, cuisine, and music as well as theater and night scene.

The comment about "most people not staying here more than 5 years" may apply to college students or military families, but for the typical person/couple/family who relocates here to make a better life for themselves......they stay much longer. My family moved here 28 years ago and made this our permanent home. Love it and don't plan to move. I would say that 95% of the other transplants I know have also been here for at least 15 years and plan to stay permanently also. Charleston has so much to offer any type of person and there is something (festivals, shows, fairs, etc.) going on just about any given weekend. If anyone is bored here, it is because they choose to be.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:21 PM

45,680 posts, read 23,810,621 times
I would say it would depend on your attitude. You could ask 20 of us and get 20 different answers.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:41 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,276,068 times
Permanent ... virtually retired... ah, home, again!

Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,577,995 times
I just moved here in March from Massachusetts. I have lived my whole life in Massachusetts until now. I can tell you about the differences. First, it is much more laid back here. I'm not saying that people don't work hard, because they do. It just seems like "life" is more important than work here. People are also not in a big rush to go nowhere like in MA. In all the jobs I worked at in MA, it was "go, go, go" because everything had to be done now. My job now, which is the same that I did in MA, seems more organized. We are just as busy, but the work is handled more thoroughly and in a more organized manner.

As far as the church thing, the only times I was ever asked my religion was during my interviews (I flew down for 2 interviews). I have never been asked where I go to church, if I go to church, or what my religion is since my interviews. I think that there are so many transplants in the area, that it just doesn't seem to be an issue.

I think that the racism is worse in MA. I'm sure there is racism here, but I just don't see it the way I saw it in MA. It just seems different here, I really don't know how to explain it.

Everyone here are much more friendly than in MA. My biggest thing that I am still getting used to is polite teenagers. If I am walking my dog at night and I see some teenagers, they always say hi. And the kids also have manners here and appear to respect others.

I like the way everything works here much better than in MA. For instance, you will rarely see a police officer on a detail for road work. They use flaggers here and they do a great job. Something else that really struck me recently was an article in the paper, or somewhere online that I read. It stated that there was talk about raising the gas tax and that it hasn't been raised since sometime in the 80s. Governor Haley stated that she would not approve raising the tax unless other taxes were cut because everyone is struggling enough in this economy. You know that in MA they would all approve raising the gas tax, along with every other tax. Things just run a lot more smoothly and to me it seems like the government really tries to do what is best for the people, and not their wallets like in MA.

Restaurants - There are some great places to eat around here, but just don't expect Chinese food like up there. You will not find it here. I also haven't found a good Vietnamese restaurant yet. I have really started to love southern food though. I like okra, hushpuppies, frogmore stew, biscuits and gravy, and grits from certain places.

I don't know what you have for health insurance, but it seems like the big thing for insurance are HRAs and not HMOs. I'm not crazy about that, but I pay a fraction of what I paid up north.

Overall, Massachusetts just can't compare to here. The quality of life is so much better in this area. I am not completely stressed every day anymore. The weather is great here. Sure, it's really humid for a few months, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. When I came down in the middle of March, my windows were open from then until I had to shut them to use a/c in the summer. In March I left a pile of snow that was above my head to come to beautiful spring like weather. If you want to enjoy life instead of rushing for nothing all the time, this is the place to be.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:05 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,732,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I just moved here in March from Massachusetts. I have lived my whole life in Massachusetts until now. I can tell you about the differences. First, it is much more laid back here. I'm not saying that people don't work hard, because they do. It just seems like "life" is more important than work here. People are also not in a big rush to go nowhere like in MA. In all the jobs I worked at in MA, it was "go, go, go" because everything had to be done now. My job now, which is the same that I did in MA, seems more organized. We are just as busy, but the work is handled more thoroughly and in a more organized manner.

As far as the church thing, the only times I was ever asked my religion was during my interviews (I flew down for 2 interviews). I have never been asked where I go to church, if I go to church, or what my religion is since my interviews. I think that there are so many transplants in the area, that it just doesn't seem to be an issue.

I think that the racism is worse in MA. I'm sure there is racism here, but I just don't see it the way I saw it in MA. It just seems different here, I really don't know how to explain it.

Everyone here are much more friendly than in MA. My biggest thing that I am still getting used to is polite teenagers. If I am walking my dog at night and I see some teenagers, they always say hi. And the kids also have manners here and appear to respect others.

I like the way everything works here much better than in MA. For instance, you will rarely see a police officer on a detail for road work. They use flaggers here and they do a great job. Something else that really struck me recently was an article in the paper, or somewhere online that I read. It stated that there was talk about raising the gas tax and that it hasn't been raised since sometime in the 80s. Governor Haley stated that she would not approve raising the tax unless other taxes were cut because everyone is struggling enough in this economy. You know that in MA they would all approve raising the gas tax, along with every other tax. Things just run a lot more smoothly and to me it seems like the government really tries to do what is best for the people, and not their wallets like in MA.

Restaurants - There are some great places to eat around here, but just don't expect Chinese food like up there. You will not find it here. I also haven't found a good Vietnamese restaurant yet. I have really started to love southern food though. I like okra, hushpuppies, frogmore stew, biscuits and gravy, and grits from certain places.

I don't know what you have for health insurance, but it seems like the big thing for insurance are HRAs and not HMOs. I'm not crazy about that, but I pay a fraction of what I paid up north.

Overall, Massachusetts just can't compare to here. The quality of life is so much better in this area. I am not completely stressed every day anymore. The weather is great here. Sure, it's really humid for a few months, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. When I came down in the middle of March, my windows were open from then until I had to shut them to use a/c in the summer. In March I left a pile of snow that was above my head to come to beautiful spring like weather. If you want to enjoy life instead of rushing for nothing all the time, this is the place to be.
Great post.....I feel the same way!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,617,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post

I am from MA (also lived in NY, CA, OH, IL), and I agree.

Traffic here is sissy traffic. Property taxes very, very cheap. More house for the money. Auto insurance also much cheaper.

Charleston is the most open minded, liberal city in the state.

Plus plenty of under 35, good looking, single women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area