Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:52 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,694 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking lately about getting a dog and need some advice.

I don't want to get a puppy for a number of reasons. I also don't want an old dog that's about to die sometime soon.

I would like to get a rescue or maybe a dog that someone needs to find a new home for because they are getting transferred overseas or something.

I want a dog that is already housetrained because I have light carpet and some old oriental rugs that can't really be replaced if they get ruined.

I had a husky before and don't want another one because it's too hot for them here in the summer (she would lay down in the middle of our walks from exhaustion and we only went 2 miles or so) and they shed all over the place.

I don't mind some shedding just not a huge amount.

I was thinking along the lines of a beagle or a bassett hound. Anyone know where I could start looking. I've already tried pet finders and didn't see much that grabbed my attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
Try any of the local animal shelters.
There is an SPCA shelter in Summerville....Home
There is also an SPCA in Mt. Pleasant....Pet Adoption - Search dogs or cats near you. Adopt a Pet Today. Pictures of dogs and cats who need a home. Search by breed, age, size and color. Adopt a dog, Adopt a cat.
Also try the Charleston Animal Society...Charleston Animal Society - Home - Media Menu
Good luck!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,083 times
There is also an SPCA in Goose Creek.... I've never been so I don't know much about them but I do drive by it.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:26 PM

My only hangup with the SPCA route is that you really don't get to know the dog's history much.

With rescues, a lot of times, the dog has been in foster care somewhere so someone can tell you everything you could want to know about it. With an SPCA you don't really get that.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
I would research breeds, decide on which breed I wanted, and contact reputable breeders who have adult dogs that need good homes. That way if things don't work out the breeder will take the dog back. But it's less likely things won't work out if you read up on different breeds and know in general what to expect before you get the dog.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:57 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
There are rescue agents for just about all the major breeds locally, just do a search 'Breed X' rescue and you should find one in the area......

As for your two choices, Beagles are always hyper unless fixed then they become lumps, bassets are very short legged and do not do well with a lot of fast paced activity, may want to check into labs or one of the other middle sized sporting breeds they tend to need lots of exercise...

Old 10-22-2011, 01:34 AM

431 posts, read 929,503 times
I have a Basset and they are a great breed.

Heres a Basset Rescue for the area.
http://www.cbhr.com/

Old 10-22-2011, 09:43 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
They are a great breed, I personally love them, but they are not the most active breed in the world, while there stamina is relentless their speed is lethargic.....

My wife wanted one a while back after her Yellow Lab passed, but she still isn't ready for another dog, especially since we still have the Chocolate and Black Labs.....

Old 10-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Well Tom, I'm not much of a runner. I will walk 2-5 miles anytime but I don't run unless something that has a good chance of hurting me is chasing me. SO energy enough for a long walk but not run is ok with me.

As beagles go, a fixed beagle may not be a bad idea. I don't want a dog that will tear my house to shreds if he gets bored when I'm not home just one that I can keep as a companion and that I can play with and walk and such.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:26 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
My brother has 2 bassett/beagle mixes that he adopted from the SPCA in Summerville 8 or 9 years ago. They were sisters from the same litter (which, btw, he and his wife named Lucy and Ethel LOL)...anyway, they are sweet, well-mannered, were easily housebroken and trained. The downside is that they ALWAYS have a strong odor. These girls go to the vets regularly, are bathed weekly, go to the groomers monthly, and are almost always in the house or backyard. Within 30 minutes of their baths, they have that "outside dog" smell. My sister-in-law is a neat and clean freak and is constantly cleaning and deoderizing the house and this drives her up the wall. They have tried everything on the market and everything the vet and groomer recommended, but unfortunately Lucy and Ethel are just smelly dogs. Everyone in the family loves them to death and tolerates their smell, but because of that I would not have a beagle or basset hound inside.

I have a German Shepherd/terrier mix that I found as a stray 11 years ago and also an Irish Setter/Golden Retriever mix (rescue) and neither of them have any odor whatsoever.

I'm glad you want to adopt a dog who needs a home instead of buying from a breeder or pet store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area