Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 AM

35 posts, read 83,765 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I live in West Ashley (we've been in this house for 2 years, in Charleston for 5) and I'm looking for a church.

Here's what we do want:

More traditional (especially the music)
Family (kid) friendly with an approach to kids programs from infant to college
Programs or events held in addition to Sunday/Wednesday
An active church that has lots to offer and lots of support
A very open, accepting, and genuine attitude
Lead by example, not force it down people's throats type of approach

Anyone go to this type of church? Know of one like it? We are not particularly insistent upon "type" of church, more something that fits us very well. If you know of one, that matches the above characteristics please do share. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,279,343 times
Any particular denomination?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,253,541 times
Try Monck's Corner First baptist. They are in a transitional period, seeking a new pastor, but an old friend is their transitional pastor. I think you will enjoy it.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,739,729 times
St. Johannes Lutheran on Hassell Street downtown Charleston. I was looking for a new church for over a year, started visiting St. Johannes and love it! It seems to fit everything you are looking for:
* traditional service and music
* warm and friendly people
* lots of opportunities for community involvement and activities outside of Sunday morning worship
* children's Sunday School and choir
* open-minded, genuine, accepting congregation

I have been going since the beginning of August and joined 2 weeks ago....LOVE it! I really look forward to going every Sunday. We are having a traditional (Lutheran) German Feast with Christmas sing-along in a few weeks, which I am really looking forward to! (complete with German bier!)

If you want more info. you can send me a message.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 PM

23,896 posts, read 32,199,228 times
Never been to St Johannes, but I will second it for two reasons 1. SCBeaches review sounds very much like what you are looking for.
2.It is a member of the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) a very open minded, grace filled denomination, with many family friendly Churches. I am a member of one and have been all of my life.

3. Check of the ELCA website. If you put in your zip code under "Find a Congregation" several churches and their websites will come up.
A few I found besides St Johannes ( which seems nice!) are Advent Lutheran Church, and Redeemer Lutheran Church. They also seemed active and family friendly.

If you have any Youth Group age kids, this Spring there will be a National Youth Gathering in New Orleans Louisiana.

The Christmas Sing at St. Johannes sounds wonderful, and as you will notice, no one will look down on you if you occasionally enjoy a social drink - OR - if you don't! We are a loving celebratory denomination. We dance, we play, we learn, we work for justice and equality and we proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:33 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,933,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
St. Johannes Lutheran on Hassell Street downtown Charleston. I was looking for a new church for over a year, started visiting St. Johannes and love it! It seems to fit everything you are looking for:
* traditional service and music
* warm and friendly people
* lots of opportunities for community involvement and activities outside of Sunday morning worship
* children's Sunday School and choir
* open-minded, genuine, accepting congregation

I have been going since the beginning of August and joined 2 weeks ago....LOVE it! I really look forward to going every Sunday. We are having a traditional (Lutheran) German Feast with Christmas sing-along in a few weeks, which I am really looking forward to! (complete with German bier!)

If you want more info. you can send me a message.
I have to say, this sounds intriguing. I've had "colorful" times in my life during which I was asked to leave the church I attended. New home, maybe new church as well. If I visit I'll behave...I do miss community worship.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
I have to say, this sounds intriguing. I've had "colorful" times in my life during which I was asked to leave the church I attended. New home, maybe new church as well. If I visit I'll behave...I do miss community worship.
Our service begins at 11:00, so try to arrive around 10:50, parking is mostly on the street or in one of the small lots nearby (who allow church parking for free), just try to behave and don't do anything crazy like grabbing the communal cup and chugging all of the wine during Holy Communion! LOL

(We had a man walk in off the street and announce that it looked like someone's car was getting towed one morning, right in the middle of prayer! The car didn't turn out to belong to anyone in the congregation, but can you imagine just opeining the door of a church during service and yelling inside? LOL Caused quite a laugh!)

Old 12-02-2011, 07:19 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,404,395 times
Quote:
Our service begins at 11:00, so try to arrive around 10:50, parking is mostly on the street or in one of the small lots nearby (who allow church parking for free), just try to behave and don't do anything crazy like grabbing the communal cup and chugging all of the wine during Holy Communion! LOL

(We had a man walk in off the street and announce that it looked like someone's car was getting towed one morning, right in the middle of prayer! The car didn't turn out to belong to anyone in the congregation, but can you imagine just opeining the door of a church during service and yelling inside? LOL Caused quite a laugh!)
Well I think that man's heart was in the right place and if the car being towed HAD been someone's there, wouldn't people have been happy for the interruption? Imagine if it had been your car. Certainly I think the Lord would have approved of the gesture.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Well I think that man's heart was in the right place and if the car being towed HAD been someone's there, wouldn't people have been happy for the interruption? Imagine if it had been your car. Certainly I think the Lord would have approved of the gesture.
Emily, it was just a little light-hearted church humor. You don't know the whole story....there were ushers standing at the door who he could have told and they would have waited until the prayer was over to make the announcement. Also, it turns out that the lady whose car was being towed was out there just a few doors down and had already been ticketed but refused to move her car because she was walking to the Market and didn't believe she should be towed on a Sunday. Lots of factors involved.....but because who I was responding to referred to "behaving her/himself" in church, I thought I would share a funny story. It's all good.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,933,242 times
Quote:
...but because who I was responding to referred to "behaving her/himself" in church, I thought I would share a funny story. It's all good.
LOLOLOL, SC that "colorful" behavior was most certainly not inside the church....it was my personal activities that I'm refering to. It's surprising how word gets around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area