Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:02 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times

Advertisements

Well, I had an old thread, http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...d-discuss.html, and there was a little talk of our home builder having HVAC related issues.
Well, now I know why. Our HVAC unit is too small for the home, and the vent ducting was routed wrong. Basically, the cool air coming of the ac is sucked right back in via the register, we have no damper functionality as it is a two story. There is more.
After 2 quotes through trusted companies friends have dealt with, we are at 13k for new system done right. Not band aided, but done right.
I am disgusted with the lack of care companies have. This is my second home, and both were obviously not built correctly and or inspected correctly during build and purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 AM

35 posts, read 98,065 times
Law suit is your pathway. unfortunately

Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 AM

259 posts, read 554,090 times
prior to "law suit"..contact the builder explain the situation and see if they have a resolve...If not then check to see if the builders bond also contact L&I (don't know the name for it here in SC)as there is a bond there as well. This would only apply if they are still in business....to the best of my knowledge.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:26 AM

212 posts, read 415,083 times
Who's the builder? That way if we ever can find a way to build up here I'll know who to stay away from!

Old 11-27-2011, 04:33 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
In 2002 I bought a home in a well known sub-division of Mount Pleasant. Shorty after I moved in, I was approached by some fellow neighbors whom were trying to start a class action suit against the builder.

Not to go into a long story, but I felt they were expecting Champagne at Beer prices. I moved out of that area neighborhood early this year (some 9 years later) and it is still alive, doing well, and 99% of all residents are happy.

I think my evaluation of them expecting Champagne at Beer prices was correct then, but buyers/consumers are now feeling even more entitled. I actually blame the retail business for going so overboard to get customes (no question asked returns, price guarantees, etc.) that consumers are spoiled. They will not own up to nor accept responsibility for their own purchases.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
In 2002 I bought a home in a well known sub-division of Mount Pleasant. Shorty after I moved in, I was approached by some fellow neighbors whom were trying to start a class action suit against the builder.

Not to go into a long story, but I felt they were expecting Champagne at Beer prices. I moved out of that area neighborhood early this year (some 9 years later) and it is still alive, doing well, and 99% of all residents are happy.

I think my evaluation of them expecting Champagne at Beer prices was correct then, but buyers/consumers are now feeling even more entitled. I actually blame the retail business for going so overboard to get customes (no question asked returns, price guarantees, etc.) that consumers are spoiled. They will not own up to nor accept responsibility for their own purchases.
I am not going to sue, class action or by myself. I am looking at approaching the company when I return from overseas, to see what was done to resolve the issues. If they were at fault, then I am sure we can assist each other in the knowledge and getting things done properly if it comes to that.
It was plainly poor design and execution to make a buck. Our home inspections, 2 of them, said everything was fine. Also, at 2700 sq ft, our homes electricity bill was/is lower than two relatives in same area with smaller homes. So, I had no reason to see or fear problems in my purchase.
But, I am having another quote tomorrow, and will probably redo the whole damn thing, correctly with 2 units as recommended so far and new ducting put in the right place etc.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Before I spent any cash i would approach the builder and explain the situation. No company --even one that may consider compensating you, will be thrilled with you first spending to change it and then asking them about it. They would want to see the existing system first and get back to you. Maybe their contractor screwed up......who knows.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Before I spent any cash i would approach the builder and explain the situation. No company --even one that may consider compensating you, will be thrilled with you first spending to change it and then asking them about it. They would want to see the existing system first and get back to you. Maybe their contractor screwed up......who knows.
I already have plans to call Monday to Pendley Homes INC on red bank.
I doubt I will get more than the standard out of warranty, no idea what you are talking of....
I doubt too the contractor who built it screwed up. I think it is a design flaw, and no one second guessed it.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,331 times
Don't back down. You have tradesmen in the field telling you it was done improperly.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Don't back down. You have tradesmen in the field telling you it was done improperly.
Pendley homes has no data on the install. LOL
Previous owner, no returns on calls. Not harassing her, just asking if she can remember what company may have done it. My wife is very good at keeping files on everything. But there isnt any paperwork on the HVAC system..
I am just going to fix it ASAP. My wife and kids health is more important than fighting incompetent companies.
Goodman HVAC systems wont warranty the unit, as the serial number is not legible. Just laughable.
I am putting in a new 4 ton, new ducting , rerouting the ducting and more insulation..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area