U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,640 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 year old male from NY looking to move to Charleston after the new year. I have never been there but have heard great things. I would like to find out before I go down there where I should look to live. I have a diverse background (valet, retail, bartender, sales, construction) and a college degree. A town somewhat inexpensive where I can find somewhat cheap rent ($700-$800 max in rent) is what I am looking for. I like to go downtown to bars and have a good time. I am very into sports and watching sports. I want to live in a safe-ish area with easy access to downtown (if not downtown). I am also single and want to live where there are a lot of young professionals like myself that I can meet. A place with a good social scene and restaurants etc. PLEASE...any advice or information would be very much appreciated. Also, I would consider Myrtle Beach. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM

162 posts, read 321,154 times
I am so sorry I can not help you out here...we are considering a move to Charleston as well, and I honestly do not know why you have not rec'd a reply as yet

I see you are in the correct forum...maybe do a search under 'relocating to Charleston SC and see what pops up. Then you could *join* in on a thread and go from there?

Sorry I could not help! I know what it feels like to have a post missed by those who could be helpful.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 AM

167 posts, read 270,045 times
It's the holidays folks - people are busy. Give it some time.

I'm not much help myself because I just moved here myself. I settled on James Island which is 5 minutes from downtown. I'd recommend perusing this board & getting some ideas, see what kind of replies you get and then get yourself on a plane down here and spend a couple days looking around so you can get an idea of what you are considering.

Good Luck to you in your search.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:06 PM

1,924 posts, read 3,018,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy17 View Post
I am a 26 year old male from NY looking to move to Charleston after the new year. I have never been there but have heard great things. I would like to find out before I go down there where I should look to live. I have a diverse background (valet, retail, bartender, sales, construction) and a college degree. A town somewhat inexpensive where I can find somewhat cheap rent ($700-$800 max in rent) is what I am looking for. I like to go downtown to bars and have a good time. I am very into sports and watching sports. I want to live in a safe-ish area with easy access to downtown (if not downtown). I am also single and want to live where there are a lot of young professionals like myself that I can meet. A place with a good social scene and restaurants etc. PLEASE...any advice or information would be very much appreciated. Also, I would consider Myrtle Beach. Thank You!
The people at work that like to go to bars and have fun love living in West Ashley. I am told there is a lot going on there. Since I don't go to bars anymore, I can't tell you what types of bars are there. West Ashley is also very close to downtown.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM

6 posts, read 7,009 times
Hi I am a young female professional in my early 20s and my job hits a low season in the summertime so that is when I take all my vacations. I have visited Charleston Sc a lot in the past but only for a couple of nights or so and this summer I've been thinking about subleasing a room with either another professional person or a student downtown. I won't be working and pay deposits and rent all in full I'm just looking for an 2 month long experience in a city I really love! My question is, is Charleston a busy place during the summertime, are there many young people still around? I dont think I'd get a part time job or anything..maybe if I got bored or to meet some people. Thanks

Old 06-01-2013, 04:34 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,673,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlustgirl View Post
Hi I am a young female professional in my early 20s and my job hits a low season in the summertime so that is when I take all my vacations. I have visited Charleston Sc a lot in the past but only for a couple of nights or so and this summer I've been thinking about subleasing a room with either another professional person or a student downtown. I won't be working and pay deposits and rent all in full I'm just looking for an 2 month long experience in a city I really love! My question is, is Charleston a busy place during the summertime, are there many young people still around? I dont think I'd get a part time job or anything..maybe if I got bored or to meet some people. Thanks
Yeah. A lot of college students stick around in the summer to do summer classes or because they have year-long leases.

BTW, you might want to start a new thread for this. This series of posts is from 2011.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 9,883 times
Hey NY guy-
I just posted something similar. I am looking for jobs right now in Charleston, SC as I really want to relocate soon. I am a native NYer (Westchester County) and work in Manhattan. I am about to be 28 and I'm looking for a fresh start. Where are you from in NY? Do you have a job opportunity in Charleston? Any helpful hints on how to land a gig down there would be great. I am having difficulty hearing back from employers. I've applied and LikedIn with health care professionals there (I work for major medical center in NYC, within HR management). I really can't afford to move without a job though...
Can't wait to make the move. When are you heading down?
Thanks,
Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area