U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 12:52 PM

5,168 posts, read 1,969,288 times
Default Charleston ranked 11th in best performing cities in US

2011 Best-Performing Cities - 200 Largest Metros

Charleston economy takes off | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

Charleston is really hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 07:44 PM

7,108 posts, read 5,445,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata
USC economist Doug Woodward says employment growth, not the unemployment rate, is the best indicator of economic progress. Columbia is in the state's top three metros this year in the category of total employment growth, at 1.9%. The area's retail employment growth is up by 7%.

More jobs, better pay, stronger home values predicted - Business - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/12/08/2072827/2012-looking-pretty-good.html - broken link)

University of South Carolina - News

Since this is a South Carolina thread and not a city thread, I'll share the above article and an earlier post of mine from the Columbia thread. So far in 2011, Myrtle Beach, Anderson and Columbia have been hot as well. The attached article has stats from all S.C. metros for this year. Charleston has done very well over the past five years, as the Millken report shows, but some success in other S.C. metros seems to be kicking in now.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:41 PM

7,993 posts, read 6,785,318 times
Excellent for Charleston! That Milken link you posted also showed Columbia as one of the biggest decliners. Not good for them.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,587,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Excellent for Charleston! That Milken link you posted also showed Columbia as one of the biggest decliners. Not good for them.
Do you understand economic metrics at all? By most measures over the past decade, Columbia has done very well. Don't believe me, look it up on Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of Economic Analysis, Dismal Scientist (Moody's),US Census Bureau, or The Moore School of Business Economic Database.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:10 AM

By the Milken Report's measures, Greenville is only one spot higher than Columbia, but I'm more interested in what's going on this year than in what has happened over the last five, and Columbia is now among the best performing metros in the state according to the state's own statistics.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:52 AM

3,172 posts, read 3,273,705 times
Subjective, but any positive is good.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:18 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,224,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Subjective, but any positive is good.
I would have to agree with this sentiment. Most of these surveys are quite subjective. However, what is very evident is that Charleston ranks high on many of them. Isn't that a good thing for South Carolina?

Old 12-18-2011, 01:38 PM

3,172 posts, read 3,273,705 times
Absolutely, and it always will. It's Historic Charleston.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:48 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,587,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I would have to agree with this sentiment. Most of these surveys are quite subjective. However, what is very evident is that Charleston ranks high on many of them. Isn't that a good thing for South Carolina?
You and red are right. The publicity is great but, these lists typically focus on a few factors. And, to get a true picture of a region's economy, there are more factors at play than can be summarized in a quick summary. Also would look over a longer period of time and the economic drivers to get a true picture.

That is exactly why GSUPSTATE's comment about Columbia is irrelevant.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Excuse me. My bad. I said earlier that Greenville ranked only one spot better than Columbia. Actually it ranked two spots better: 113 to 115 out of 200. Columbia had some decent growth in wages.

It's good when any S.C. city ranks well on any of the good lists. Overall, though, you can pretty much pick a different time frame to analyze within different topics and get different results for most any city. What I can't understand is looking for the bad to post about another city while omitting the bad about your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area