U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-24-2011, 06:33 AM

82 posts, read 55,566 times
Default closest beaches to Hanahan?

We are moving to Hanahan in a few days and I'm trying to find the quickest route to the beach. We are coming from the Myrtle Beach area, so I'm used to having tons of public beach access with free parking. I've never had a problem! Which beaches does everyone recommend for a short walk to the shore from parking? I have two young children, so I'll be carrying gear! I tend to go at least once a week in the summer. I noticed that the county park might be a good place to park and walk to the beach. Also important is the shortest drive from the Otranto area to the beach. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 09:04 AM

646 posts, read 772,914 times
Probably Isle of Palms. It's about 30 minutes or so with little traffic. It's a nice beach, has lots of parking, but if you park close it will be easy for you.

Folly Beach's county park is closed through 2012 because of the damage it suffered during Irene. The pier and the rest of the beach are still open though. Folly is between 40-45 minutes from Hanahan.

Sullivan's Island is actually the closest beach, at about 30 minutes, but there's no county park there, and not as many facilities unless you go to one of the many restaurants along the beach.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,903,987 times
I agree. IOP will be the closest and easiest to get to for you. From Hanahan, just take 526 towards Mt. Pleasant, then take 17N until just past Towne Center and turn right onto the IOP connector. Straight shot to the ocean from there.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:17 PM

82 posts, read 55,566 times
Thanks so much! I was thinking Isle of Palms was the way to go. Sounds perfect!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM

149 posts, read 138,772 times
IOP. I assume you have a buggy of some sort. Ours is a lifesaver.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:41 PM

505 posts, read 908,422 times
I agree with everyone...Isle of Palms is the most "family friendly" county park with showers, bathrooms etc. Have fun with your kiddos! We love it when we get to take the grandkids to the beach.
Foster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area