Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 PM

7 posts, read 38,668 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with this situation they could share? Do you know how long it may take to receive an eviction notice? What if you have a lease? Do the tenants have any rights (e.g., can they live in the house for the duration of the lease)? Or, is this just one of those situations you face and have to deal with the consequences (e.g., forced to move prematurely) as a renter?

Is the renter able to break the lease so they can find a new rental property?

Do you know of any offices that provide free or low cost help in this type of situation? Please PM me if you do.

I just learned of someone who is facing these unfortunate circumstances and would like to pass some factual info along to help during this stressful time. Sadly, they moved in not too long ago.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 PM

210 posts, read 748,831 times
I just did a general search online. You can too. Here is an article from Smart Money which may help you.

Renters Face Eviction as Lenders Foreclose on Properties at SmartMoney.com

Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 PM

194 posts, read 748,448 times
It might be a good idea to find out if the foreclosure was just filed or if the property already sold at auction. If the property has already sold at the Foreclosure auction the tenant will have to move since they do not have a valid lease since the bank is the new owner.

They should seek legal advise and might be able to check with a local magistrate regarding the evicition.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 38,668 times
Thanks for the link, RadiatorSprings.

I'll pass that info along, creekgirl4life. I guess you can see the forclosure status on the county website? I have no idea where to look if the property has been sold at auction. I'd imagine they'd let the renter know soon if it had.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 9,574 times
my unit will go to public sell june 1, do i still have to pay the may, june rent or just wait untill the notice eviction

Old 08-17-2009, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,883 times
My daughter is leasing an apartment in RHode Island. She signed a 1 year lease to end in May. The property is now up for sale. If it is sold, does she have any rights to stay until her lease is up in May?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:54 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
This is the Charleston SC area site, you may be better off asking that in a Rhode Island area site...

Old 12-17-2011, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,148 times
I live in an townhouse unit that has gone into forclosure, the property management company that took over did not tell me. I was told to just make a good faith payment every month, my lease is about to expire the end of dec. I have not received any information from the bank to let me know what is going on and the property managers want me to sign a lease with them.I feel a little disturbed by this, can someone point me in the direction to find out what my rights are because I don't want to renew a lease on property that is being sold.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inchs View Post
Thanks for the link, RadiatorSprings.

I'll pass that info along, creekgirl4life. I guess you can see the forclosure status on the county website? I have no idea where to look if the property has been sold at auction. I'd imagine they'd let the renter know soon if it had.
If it is Charleston County, go to this link, click "accept," and then search by name:

Public Index Search

Old 12-17-2011, 08:22 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,646,616 times
FWIW... Back in Orlando a friend of mine and his sister were renting a house. It got foreclosed, they lived in it for like 12-14 months rent free. Lol. I think "squatters rights" come into play that they have to give you notice. They moved because they didn't like worrying they may have to move every other day.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area