Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:13 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,146 times

Advertisements

We're coming into town tomorrow for a real estate hunt. Almost certainly at this point we're going to be somewhere near the Ashley river, west of 526, and out to say, Bees Ferry. (including the evil North Charleston side of the river )

My question is this, where would we likely be hanging out for dinner or lunch living over in that area? What are your favorite places to go when you just don't feel like cooking?

We're going to High Cotton on one night, but the remainder of the time we want to just hit some places that are very close to where we'll land.

Speaking only for myself I want shrimp, shrimp, and more shrimp!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 02:15 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
You will love High Cotton. Ask if Danielle is working, she is the absolute best!!!
Tell her Bob and Angela from Charlotte recommended her.

Enjoy!

Capt. Rick can give you some great eats ideas for that end of the river.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,638,598 times
I cant think about food right now,,,,I just ate and I'm full! Ha-Ha-Ha

Ya gotta try "Trotters" at the Town and Country Inn. They will only have the buffet open for lunch. Ill bet you money you'll eat to much! The food is VERY good!

Google Maps

Old 12-27-2011, 07:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
Easterby's used to have a great all you can eat shrimp plate...

Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 AM

You dont hear to much about Easterby's any more. (Its down Hwy 61 on the right going towards Summerville)

Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
I like Ladles (soups are the specialty) which is in the shopping complex at the intersection of 61 and Bees Ferry. At the other end of Bees Ferry- on 17 about 4 plots from Rantowles Creek is a complete dive of a fish place (in an old gas station) that rocks. You can't eat in but you can pick your oiwn fish from the market side- and by side I mean side of the same room- and have them cook it to order. Might be called Anchor Line- help me out folks.

There are a number of Asian place sin the Food Lion complex accross from Roper.

Also closer in- Red Orchid (between Sam Rittenberg and Old Town Road) is my favorite chinese, The Taco Spot (61 about 5 lights from downtown) my favorite burritto/taco place) and A di La (Avondale area on 17) my favorite Italian. Actually A Di La is my favorite restaurant in West Ashley and favorite Italian restaurant in Charleston, period. (Pan e Vino downtown does come very close.)

Another option is taking Bees Ferry to Main Rd and going onto Johns Island a couple of miles to Tomato Shed Cafe. It has local food with fresh ingredients. Similarly once your past Bees Ferry its not a big deal to just go the extra 10 minutes to Summerville (10 minutes during non-traffic hours/ probably 45 at the wrong time of day.)

I've driven by Easterby's dozens of times & never stopped but one day I'll have to give it a try. Usually I'm not in that part of WA at meal time.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 AM

The "Red Orchid" is a very good place. Its been a while, but I think Ill go there this week for dinner.

As far as a Italian restaurant, I like LaFontana on the corner of Wapoo rd and Hwy 17 (Where Chancy's used to be)

Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I like Ladles (soups are the specialty) which is in the shopping complex at the intersection of 61 and Bees Ferry. At the other end of Bees Ferry- on 17 about 4 plots from Rantowles Creek is a complete dive of a fish place (in an old gas station) that rocks. You can't eat in but you can pick your oiwn fish from the market side- and by side I mean side of the same room- and have them cook it to order. Might be called Anchor Line- help me out folks.

There are a number of Asian place sin the Food Lion complex accross from Roper.

Also closer in- Red Orchid (between Sam Rittenberg and Old Town Road) is my favorite chinese, The Taco Spot (61 about 5 lights from downtown) my favorite burritto/taco place) and A di La (Avondale area on 17) my favorite Italian. Actually A Di La is my favorite restaurant in West Ashley and favorite Italian restaurant in Charleston, period. (Pan e Vino downtown does come very close.)

Another option is taking Bees Ferry to Main Rd and going onto Johns Island a couple of miles to Tomato Shed Cafe. It has local food with fresh ingredients. Similarly once your past Bees Ferry its not a big deal to just go the extra 10 minutes to Summerville (10 minutes during non-traffic hours/ probably 45 at the wrong time of day.)

I've driven by Easterby's dozens of times & never stopped but one day I'll have to give it a try. Usually I'm not in that part of WA at meal time.

Mr. Peatie,
The name of the delicious fish dive on 17 is the Fish Net , the soft shell crab when is season , can't be beat!
On US 17 south of Charleston, look for a dilapidated former gas station with a large parking lot outside where the pumps used to be. The parking lot is important because it is where you will dine if you are just passing through. There is no place to eat inside Fishnet Seafood, which is primarily a raw seafood market.

However – and this is a big however – there is a good-size menu of dinners, sandwiches, and by-the-pound fare that the fishmongers will cook for you. Breaded and fried when ordered, this is some wildly delicious stuff: brittle-crusted shrimp, local oysters, crab cakes, filets of flounder, bone-in or bone-out croaker, and Jesus crab, which is the management’s name for what other places refer to as devil crab.

… and that brings us to the unusual décor of this store/eatery, which includes not only the usual nautical nets and buoys, but signs everywhere reminding guests of Jesus’s goodness and ultimate importance. We’ve seen a lot of barbecues where religion is a fundamental aspect of the dining experience, but not so many seafood places. This is one where the original fisher of men is the star of the menu.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:18 PM

Well it's been a grueling couple of days. Seems we're going to be in Grand Oaks Plantation.

We ate at Fleet Landing last night. I've read some opinion that FL is too touristy, I thought the place was terrific. Good food, good beer, everyone was smiling.
Locally we ate lunch at JB Smokehouse. Really good food! Down home place where you pay, grab a plate, and fill that puppy....till you can't fill it any more.
We tried for Fat Hen, but it's dinner only.

Tonight we'll swing into High Cotton, and back home in the morning.

Lot of work, but won't be long till I can supply some answers, instead of asking questions

Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM

Back to the mid-west for the time being.

Just wanted to wrap things up a bit. Thank you for the suggestions.

The list of local (recommended) West Ashley eateries:

Trotters
Easterby's
Ladles
Fish Net
Red Orchid
The Taco Spot
A Di La
Tomato Shed Cafe
LaFontana

Oh this is gonna be fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area