U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 09:24 AM

469 posts, read 719,098 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. First post here finally so it's nice to officially be on here. I've been lurking ever since my son interviewed with a company there in November (and it became his favorite place). He took his time and weighed his various offers and has just officially accepted the Charleston offer (he starts in June). I've been looking online for months - I'm a message board kind of person, he's not. I told him that the closest place for him to live to where he would be working (Daniel Island) would be Mt Pleasant. He took a 2 day exploration trip on his own the week before Christmas and said he could see himself in West Ashley (it reminded him most of where we live specifically), but he wasn't going to rule out Mt Pleasant - or really anywhere for that matter. He'll be a 22 year old new college graduate and will probably be living alone in an apartment, but he wouldn't rule out a rental townhouse. He's not the typical 22 year old - he's not a party person, he's not a club or night-life kind of person.

All I see is a map, and it looks like West Ashley is the furthest from his destination. He said in driving, that nothing seemed really all that far away from one another. We're from the Charlotte area though so we're used to traffic and we're used to driving distances if we have to - we just don't have the bridges.

What's the commute like from West Ashley to Daniel Island (specifically Blackbaud)? Of course, I suspect it will be very congested, but how much time are you looking at? I've seen West Ashley be divided into inside Mark Clark and outside - is it better to look on one side rather than the other? Is there any place to avoid as he continues to explore his options (I've seen to avoid North Charleston). Is there anyplace else that anyone would particularly recommend?

Thanks for anyone's input in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM

435 posts, read 716,714 times
I am 100% sure that he will like rental in DI than West Ashley (there should be plenty of condos and townhouse for rent). He probably think all West Ashley is like Avondale area which is not true. Also, Highway 17 is under construction and the traffic is slow, you are looking at least 20-30 minutes.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Hi Jimmy - just because I have no idea what those places are like, where is Avondale? He told me that he looked on both sides of 526 - that's why he said it reminded him of home - we've got a major road that borders us and split us from another suburb of Charlotte. And even though people told him to not check out North Charleston, he did go there too as well as downtown near the colleges, James Island, and Mount Pleasant. He didn't look at Daniel Island as a possible place to live just because he said there's not much there. He wasn't looking specifically at apartments anywhere. He was just looking at areas. Thanks for replying.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,835,776 times
Hi Go To Girl,
I drive from West Ashley to Mt Pleasant every morning and I pass Daniel Island on my drive to work. I wouldn't recommend the commute to Blackbaud from West Ashley if your son will be working the typical morning shift. Some mornings it's not too bad, and when it's not too bad it'll take about 20-25 minutes. Many mornings it's just a nightmare with accidents or incidents on the Don Holt Bridge that really back traffic up. Then there is the drive home between 4:30-5:30 and it's horrible getting back to West Ashley. The Mark Clark Expressway (526) really isn't equopped to handle to traffic load at peak rush hours. Then you take into account the insane drivers ( and they are from all over not just here) and it's a nightmare. Daniel Island or Mt Pleasant would be the better option by far.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 PM

Thanks Patti - so I take it that you're driving up past the airport. When he looked at it, he didn't think it would be that bad of a commute. He thought going the other way through Charleston would be real bad. This is the kind of info I want. Thank you.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
Thanks Patti - so I take it that you're driving up past the airport. When he looked at it, he didn't think it would be that bad of a commute. He thought going the other way through Charleston would be real bad. This is the kind of info I want. Thank you.

Yes I drive up past the airport to the Glenn McConnell Highway, which also can be backed up also. he probably loves Avondale, in West Ashley, but it will be pricier, and be careful..not all area of West Ashley are nice. My vote is for Mt Pleasant or Daniel Island. Good Luck!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 AM

I looked to see where Avondale was, and that doesn't sound like the area where he looked in West Ashley, but he drove all over the place so that might be one of the sections. Does Avondale encompass that entire area to the right of 526, or just that small area closer to downtown. It was hard for me to tell from google maps? He told me that he looked on both sides of 526. I'll have to ask him for more specifics of where he drove. He's very laid back and would probably be tolerant of pretty much anywhere. That's why I'm jumping in because I don't want him to have to tolerate a place - I want him to really like it. And of course, he's telling me that it's much too early to be thinking about this right now - which it is - but I do know time is going to fly. I hope in the end he'll be in Mt Pleasant as well. But since he's mentioned West Ashley, I'm just going to try to find something nice to suggest to him in that area as well.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 PM

508 posts, read 1,298,402 times
My daughter has two friends that work at Blackbaud. (They are in their mid-20's) They live on Daniel Island in order to avoid commute nightmares. They are able to get into Charleston and to all the social events no problem and do it when the traffic isn't a nightmare like it would be for your son if he lives off of the Island.
Just a suggestion.
Foster

Old 12-30-2011, 01:59 PM

Thank you Foster - I haven't seen that many apartment complexes in Daniel Island - do you know what kinds of places they live?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:36 PM

Go To Girl,
There would probably be some townhome or condo rentals on Craigslist for Daniel Isalnd. There are many apartment complexes in Mt Pleasant. Avondale is the first area in West Ashley you reach after you cross the bridge from the downtown area on Rt 17. Areas off of 61 can be dicey in West Ashley. There is definitely more crime in West Ashley than Daniel Island. No place is perfectly safe but Daniel Island is pretty safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area