Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
You'll be happy to know that we are about 30% into construction on an apartment complex that includes an asphalt walking path
It is happening where you are. I see none of it happening where I live. I am thinking about what is happening where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
There was a guy rollerblading on a major road today

Old 03-06-2012, 03:35 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Natural selection was out today. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day to catch up with him.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is happening where you are. I see none of it happening where I live. I am thinking about what is happening where I live.
I'm thinking of the greater Charleston Metro area ... this IS the Charleston Area Forum afterall

Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
I'm thinking of the greater Charleston Metro area ... this IS the Charleston Area Forum afterall
I know this is the Charleston forum. I came because this had to do with the hatred of cyclists. It is an issue that is very personal for me, because I am a cyclist. Because it is personal, I felt the need to say something. The hostile mentality towards cyclists isn't just a Charleston problem.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
My cousin lives in Florida and has been riding his bike to work while he saves up to buy a car. He says the Florida drivers honk and yell at him all the time. He also says the bus made him late several times and took twice as long sometimes ... he didn't want to get fired, so started riding his bike and it works.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
My cousin lives in Florida and has been riding his bike to work while he saves up to buy a car. He says the Florida drivers honk and yell at him all the time. He also says the bus made him late several times and took twice as long sometimes ... he didn't want to get fired, so started riding his bike and it works.
I've been honked at, harassed and almost run over living in the suburbs of Atlanta. I understand how your cousin feels. I've also dealt with buses, and still have to deal with them. They aren't reliable. I think many people don't understand or care because of the society we live in.

I have an internship. It is 4 miles away from my university. I bike there because the nearest bus stop is over a mile away and there is no guarantee that the bus will be there on time. In fact, Cobb County's bus system has been cutting routes and raising the fare. For this reason, unless I'm taking a trip to the southern end of Cobb County and I have all day, it's not worth it.

In saying all of this, I am trying more to obey the law in regards to bicycles. One law is that bicycles don't belong on the sidewalk. They belong on the street. I've learned that the further out I live, the more barbaric traffic feels. Drivers have honked at me, harassed me, and I've almost gotten run off the road. What I have noticed is that the drivers who have harassed me the most are often young men around my age(I'm in my 20's) to about 40. Many are driving really fast cars or muscle cars and the really big pickup trucks(mainly Ford F-150s and Dodge Rams). This isn't to say every driver of those vehicles is like that. In fact, some people with pickup trucks have offered to help me out(if it's a really cold night or a rainy day). I just often notice that the scariest drivers often drive the biggest vehicles or muscle cars.

On the street my university is on, there is a bicycle lane. However, the lane is not wide enough. It isn't kept up with properly, so it can be hard to see from some places. Many cases, cars don't know the bike lane is there, or don't care. I'm not some adrenaline junky. For me, a bicycle is a means to an end.

I know what it feels like. That is why I want places to become more bicycle friendly.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
.....The hostile mentality towards cyclists isn't just a Charleston problem.
Did I mention I hate you?

.. kidding .. KIDDING .. lol

Old 03-06-2012, 02:55 PM

here's my bike story for the day ...

About an hour ago coming into Windsor Hill a bike rider pulls out of the Food Lion onto Windsor Hill Blvd.

No biggie ... EXCEPT that he ran a stop sign, went straight into the lane of traffic and cut off a motorist who had to slam on their brakes nearly creating a 4-car pile up and nearly swerve into oncoming traffic.

That's not the good part though ...

The best was when someone went around him and he had the nerve to cuss the driver who, at three feet away, was too close to him as oncoming traffic went by.

And this wasn't a kid on a bike .. this was a middle aged man in bike shorts and 'jersey' with a helmet, 'saddlebags' (or whatever you call them on a bicycle) and reflectors and lights etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Default Ode to spandex people - from a former hosteler

Quote:
I know this is the Charleston forum. I came because this had to do with the hatred of cyclists. It is an issue that is very personal for me, because I am a cyclist. Because it is personal, I felt the need to say something. The hostile mentality towards cyclists isn't just a Charleston problem.
When I was a lass in my teens,
I bicycled 'cross many mountains,
With my saddlebags full,
50 miles I'd pull
in a day on the road for the scenes.

Now back then we were nothing but hippies,
wearing cut-offs and halters, quite zippy,
catching drafts off of trucks,
or trying our luck,
with our thumbs when the route got too hilly.

Up in Maine they didn't look kindly,
on scraggly teens riding blindly,
they'd open car doors,
knocking us to the floor,
and cursing us most unkindly.

We followed the rules of the road,
Obeyed stop lights and signaled quite bold,
we rode single file,
on the shoulder, every mile,
even braved round-abouts in the cold.

But now that I'm cranky and old,
and my car is my transporting mode,
there is nothing more rude,
than these bicycling dudes,
who think they own the whole road.

God forbid I encounter a "club"
on a bicycle "route", here's the rub,
they will not give way
for the drivers who pay
to drive cars to make money for grub.

I don't want to hear greenies whine,
I'm polluting the air all the time,
Your spandex looks stupid,
you're rude and obtrusive
and I can't think of any more rhymes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area