Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, that would be the inaccurate version of me. Who I am is someone who is sick of how things are and wants to change them. I am someone who can't afford a car right now, and has learned that the bus system where I live isn't all that reliable, and in some cases, more harm than good. Here is a question: Why do many people want a society that is car-dependent?

I don't know about the adrenaline stuff, but what goes through my mine when I am on the road is this: I'm not an adrenaline junkie. I am genuinely angry at the way this society is and am frustrated at how hard it is to change things. I'm not some adrenaline junkie, but rather, someone who is legitimately upset much of the time.

Yes, I am thinking about what helps me. So do you. You think about what helps you and so do I. Until there is a solution that helps BOTH you and me get what we are looking for, conflict will continue. At the end of the day, if I am not happy, I am the one having the problem, not you.
Well there are people that want no bikers on the road, they don't want them slowing up traffic, risking accidents, clogging up ERs, etc...

They want to make a change of no bikers on the road.

So they are wrong and you are right. I bet they feel they are right and you are wrong.

Not to be a jerk, but that road you should in amsterdam, would cost a crapload in taxes. An insane amount of money.

Quick google search, Amsterdam charges, a federal, state, and city tax. Looks ike for a average family, what I assume(less then 33,500 Euro) gets taxed about 42% If you make $50k Euro, you get taxed 52%.

If that is what appeals to you, then move there. Excuses on why you can't do it, are just that excuses. Bust your ass for what you want.

BTW, those nice wide open streets, and bike paths, I bet they aren't like that in the older parts of Amsterdam, I bet they are worse then they are here. A large part of those places aren't even ADA complient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
But the fact is, I'm here, where I am. I don't have the money to go anywhere else. I figure as long as I'm here, I am going to try and change things. And by the way, Atlanta isn't really that bicycle friendly either.
You don't have the money to go anywhere else and we don't have the money to accommodate every whim of every niche of society.....

Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
You don't have the money to go anywhere else and we don't have the money to accommodate every whim of every niche of society.....
I also wanted to bring this up.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 AM

315 posts, read 623,483 times
Quote:
But the fact is, I'm here, where I am. I don't have the money to go anywhere else. I figure as long as I'm here, I am going to try and change things. And by the way, Atlanta isn't really that bicycle friendly either.

I'm gonna break this down real simple for you, and other cyclists: Different cities and states have different priorities. When you sought out Charleston, you obviously saw it first, and came anyway. Just like if you sought out a new subdivision or apt complex. Each is unique. You wouldn't move to Nebraska then ***** about there being no ocean. You wouldn't move to New York City and whine about too few golf courses. Unless a large majority want something, tax money probably wont be spent on it.

For example, here in SC, we probably wouldn't support a 200% raise for all cops. No offense to cops, my old roomy was one, but it's just true the public probably wouldn't. HOWEVER, we dont whine much about spending millions on a USC football stadium. Just priorities.

WE DONT CARE ABOUT CYCLIST RIGHTS. Sorry. It's just true. You can lobby all the college environmentalists you want, but the 4,000,000+ people in SC just dont care. In fact, the harder you all push, the more entrenched most of us become in wanting you all OFF the main roads.

Other places, like Portland or Amsterdam, have more people who agree with you. Move there when you can. But for now, STOP risking your life and ours (yes, swerving to miss a bike can cause auto-on-auto wrecks, and you all disobey stop and red lights all the time). Take the cheap bus, or walk, or jog, or suck it up and buy a Hyundai.

But dude....you aint gonna get your way here. Sorry.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Well there are people that want no bikers on the road, they don't want them slowing up traffic, risking accidents, clogging up ERs, etc...

So they are wrong and you are right. I bet they feel they are right and you are wrong.

Not to be a jerk, but that road you should in amsterdam, would cost a crapload in taxes. An insane amount of money.

Quick google search, Amsterdam charges, a federal, state, and city tax. Looks ike for a average family, what I assume(less then 33,500 Euro) gets taxed about 42% If you make $50k Euro, you get taxed 52%.

If that is what appeals to you, then move there. Excuses on why you can't do it, are just that excuses. Bust your ass for what you want.

BTW, those nice wide open streets, and bike paths, I bet they aren't like that in the older parts of Amsterdam, I bet they are worse then they are here. A large part of those places aren't even ADA complient.
Couldn't have been more right. Some states and cities value bike lanes, other value other way of spending tax money. Here, we dont value it. Cyclists should give it up and move, or, stop risking their lives AND ours.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
Couldn't have been more right. Some states and cities value bike lanes, other value other way of spending tax money. Here, we dont value it. Cyclists should give it up and move, or, stop risking their lives AND ours.
Charleston official take on cyclists:

City of Charleston, SC » Planning & Neighborhoods

No matter what you say, the law says cyclists have a right to the road here in Charleston.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Charleston official take on cyclists:

City of Charleston, SC » Planning & Neighborhoods

No matter what you say, the law says cyclists have a right to the road here in Charleston.
Unfortunately, thats true. The law also says I can swim in the Goose Creek reservoir, where alligators swim. Both are still stupid.

I'm just an advocate for banning morons on bikes from my roads. My taxes on my vehicle registration pay for those roads. And until arrogant cyclists are FORCED either A) Off the road, or B) To buy insurance, then my cause will go on.

Otherwise, what happens when a dipsh*t College of Charleston hippie blasts through yet another stop sign and t-bones my new car? Leaving damage? And HE has no insurance to pay for it?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:08 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

I'm busting my butt for what I want at this moment. Why else would I bike 4 miles to an internship, take a full course load of classes, and hold a job at the same time? Why else would I write a letter to the student body president about bicycle lanes, and try to get the environmental groups at my school organized with a plan to connect with other groups in other universities?

They might get taxed more in Europe, but they get more in return. I look at taxes like this: You take the good with the bad.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna break this down real simple for you, and other cyclists: Different cities and states have different priorities. When you sought out Charleston, you obviously saw it first, and came anyway. Just like if you sought out a new subdivision or apt complex. Each is unique. You wouldn't move to Nebraska then ***** about there being no ocean. You wouldn't move to New York City and whine about too few golf courses. Unless a large majority want something, tax money probably wont be spent on it.

For example, here in SC, we probably wouldn't support a 200% raise for all cops. No offense to cops, my old roomy was one, but it's just true the public probably wouldn't. HOWEVER, we dont whine much about spending millions on a USC football stadium. Just priorities.

WE DONT CARE ABOUT CYCLIST RIGHTS. Sorry. It's just true. You can lobby all the college environmentalists you want, but the 4,000,000+ people in SC just dont care. In fact, the harder you all push, the more entrenched most of us become in wanting you all OFF the main roads.

Other places, like Portland or Amsterdam, have more people who agree with you. Move there when you can. But for now, STOP risking your life and ours (yes, swerving to miss a bike can cause auto-on-auto wrecks, and you all disobey stop and red lights all the time). Take the cheap bus, or walk, or jog, or suck it up and buy a Hyundai.

But dude....you aint gonna get your way here. Sorry.
I never said I lived in South Carolina. I looked at this and found that the way some people feel about cyclists in Charleston are not much different than where I live now(Atlanta area, alot of people don't care about cyclists rights either).

I'm aware alot of people don't care about cyclists rights. That is why I am trying to make changes.

I didn't seek out Charleston. I didn't seek out the Atlanta area either. I'm here because my parents moved there, not knowing that this area wasn't to their liking or my liking. I was a kid when I moved to the Atlanta area, and have pretty much felt stuck. My parents also have other children to worry about, so I don't expect to have money for a car. My father might have a decent job, but he's in another state, and he has to send money to GA to pay for a house, the bills on it, and two cars, in addition to where he is staying now. He might make decent money, but he also has alot of bills to pay as well(two tuitions in addition). There are only two cars. I didn't seek out to live where I am living. It was all about the money.

I may not get my way, but I'll bust my rear trying. I don't give up. It's like my father says about me: I'm stubborn as a mule. I'm proud of being stubborn.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, thats true. The law also says I can swim in the Goose Creek reservoir, where alligators swim. Both are still stupid.

I'm just an advocate for banning morons on bikes from my roads. My taxes on my vehicle registration pay for those roads. And until arrogant cyclists are FORCED either A) Off the road, or B) To buy insurance, then my cause will go on.

Otherwise, what happens when a dipsh*t College of Charleston hippie blasts through yet another stop sign and t-bones my new car? Leaving damage? And HE has no insurance to pay for it?
And until I get what I want, my cause will go on too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area