Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 PM

110 posts, read 778,613 times

Advertisements

[quote=Leone;1432205]

West coast people I wouldn't advise relocating. Vast difference between the two coast. Cultural wise, people, bad business ethics, food.

Some political figure is always in hot water.
May have great schools, but a lot of crime in Charleston.

It is like they are finally stepping out of the stone age and just don't get it, yet/QUOTE]

My daughter & son-in-law just moved to Charleston from the west coast (california to be exact) and they absolutely loves it. The two states may be very different, but that is what brought them across the country to SC (a better way of life there than the rat-race of California). Rat-race is my wording....I've been in California way too long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 07:42 PM

24 posts, read 98,038 times
If living in LA sure that is a vast difference. In deed a rat race...a lot of major cities are. Charleston..if it was so great why is the population so low. And well known department stores and businesses haven't set up shop here.
Sure if you like Chinese Buffets, drive up restaurants, no lakes...sure Charleston is the place to be.

But the whole cultural and diversity doesn't exist like it does on the west coast. West coast being Oregon, Washington and northern California.

My warning was what about your money.

Some people here are not telling the whole story.

Example, the paper mill..you can smell it for a 30 mile radius and that about covers the whole charleston and it's suburbs.

I read someone referring another to N. Charleston. That is so crime ridden, my friend who is a deputy told us to stay away from there at night. Stay on Rivers shopping area just after Goose Creek he advised at night.

For its size, I say it is a pretty scary place in N. Chalreston.

Prices have sky rocketed for everything. I have yet to meet an honest contractor.

I suppose if you like the stink, like less variety and like you stay on your side of the tracks (prejudices), buying a resale it is the place to be.

I can think of other slow places to live that would be better. Unfortunately our company brought us here. Trying to get back to the west coast region of our international company. We are hoping my company will buy our home..or we will have to wait till the market improves and bail.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:41 PM

308 posts, read 1,039,331 times
Default A few more questions.... (thanks)!!

Thanks for the responses! I keep hearing from people (heard it while I was out for a visit recently too), that Summerville H.S. and Wando H.S. are the only decent schools. How bad can the others be? Looking at homes online, and of course knowing little about the area, I see some in West Ashley? Is that a bad area? Would I need to go private school? I was also surprised to see a post on here about crime. When we decided to relocate, I was told there was very little crime. Is that not the case? We really want a good family neigborhood, preferably custom homes, that is Safe. If I need to spend less and go with private school, can anyone suggest a good area and private school? Searching online, James Island Christian School looked good. Any feedback? And, what is a good neighborhood within a fairly short distance? Thanks so much for any help!!!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:40 PM

899 posts, read 3,482,246 times
Hi Beth,

Don't be put off on moving here due to reports on crime. Find me a city that has our population (I include North Charleston as part of our city) and then move 30 miles outside. Then compare the crime rate.

It's a city. There is crime. I know cities & I know crime. I moved here and have had absolutely no trouble. I moved my kids here, to two different areas; same thing, no trouble.

Do I walk alone at 2am in certain parts? Nope.
Can I walk alone at 2am where I live and get to my unlocked home? Yep.

You just need someone who knows the different areas and can see the better parts of a city while being cognizant of the difficulties.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:54 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,661,948 times
Hanahan H.S and Stratford H.S. are also good schools. My child is a senior at Stratford. Stratford H.S. is in Crowfield Plantation in Goose Creek. As for custom homes, there maybe a few lots left in the Hamlets that you could do a custom. You may even want to check out Lakeview Terrace, there are beautiful homes in that neighborhood that I believe were customs. One of the real estate agents on here could answer that question.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 AM

899 posts, read 3,482,246 times
The answer to your search, I think, is in Summerville.

You spend less for your house, and you can have one custom built if you like.
The schools are rated the best in the area, or you can still go to a private school.
RH Rollings Middle School of the Arts or Pinewood Preparatory School are just two.
There are church programs for the kids ALL over the place.
New schools are being built and the sports teams are growing daily.

Have you visited yet?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM

397 posts, read 1,068,429 times
I have clients that moved to both Summerville and to Mt. Pleasant, the things to consider are your own personal tastes, is beach access important to you? If so, then Mt. P is for you. If home prices are more important, then Summerville will get you far more for your money - will a great school system in Dorchester II. Many people I know go to Holy Cross church on Sullivans Island that has a fantastic active youth group, and that would be closer to Mt. Pleasant. Overall, you can get a 3 bedroom home around 1700 sq ft for as little as $265,000 in Mt. Pleasant, so obviously budget and sq footage are a factor, the same sq ft in Summerville will cost around $180,000. Taxes are as little as $1,000/year in both areas. Proximity to downtown Charleston is great in MtP, 20 min, and there is great shopping, etc. Summerville has a very charming downtown, but the surrounding areas are very commercial (N. Chas). So my best advice is to come on down, and it's very easy to have your realtor show you both areas in detail so that you can make the most informed decision! Best of luck, I relocated here 4 years ago and have never regretted a moment!

Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,706 times
Hi All,
My fiance and I are thinking of moving to the Charleston area. We are currently located in southern Connecticut but looking to possibly make the move in a year. My future in-laws just moved to downtown Charleston and while that is not in our price range, we are looking at Mt. Pleasant and James Island. Would love to stay close enough to downtown if possible. Our biggest concern is about schools. No children yet but hopefully soon. The feedback you've all given for schools in Mt. Pleasant is very helpful - thank you!
Any insight into schools on James Island?
Any other advice you have is most welcome!

Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,993,653 times
James Island and West Ashley have some very good elementary schools. There are also the charter schools/magnet schools to look into in those areas. But if there's no kids yet, you'll probably have sold and moved once already in the Charleston area. The current average looks to be about 3 years in Charleston. It's a very mobile society, or has been, people love to buy a place, live in it for 3 years or so, then move to another spot in the lowcountry. It's like watching a dance, sometimes.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,184 times
Default Summerville Schools

Hi-
I'm new to this so I apologize if I mess up! Anyway, we are planning to move to Summerville or Mt. Pleasant from NJ. The people seem so nice, the weather is great and we are looking for a less hectic pace. Although our boys are in elementary school I'm concerned about the high schools. They seem so big (2000+ students). Are they overcrowded? Will the new schools just accomodate the growth or will it lower the number of students at the established schools? Does anyone know what neighborhoods will go to the new school? My boys play Pop Warner football. I know - a zillion questions! We like Ashborough and Legend Oaks. We are looking in the 275k - 325k range, preferably with 1/2 an acre or more. Any suggestions? THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area