Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:40 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times

Advertisements

If he was so concerned for the citizens of this country in regards to this bill, then one he would have disputed the comments made in the video that I posted and most importantly he would have forced a verbage change in the bill. You simply don't sign something this significant, of this magnitude with "reservations", you just simply don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Gee, Chrome, I have no reason to say I saw a video when I didn't. And I looked at both of them, they were plenty short to go through! The videos were taken from one of the seven reworks of the bill, when Congress was trying to get the wording right and managed to leave out some of the original powers granted to government to stop terrorism, and in the process some of them misconstrued what the President was concerned about in that particular instance. They eventually fixed it. And I don't mind if you think my attempt to console your concerns was some sort of pathetic gesture, because I only tried to show you Republicans were behind the signed bill, too.

In the end, I'll repeat, if we read what President Obama said before the bill was worked on seven times and afterwards, which I have quoted in my posts, he clearly stated he WANTS to protect the rights of Americans suspected of terrorism. And as for the basic idea of granting anti-terrorism powers to the military, FBI, CIA, and Special Ops, there is no difference in the bill under President Obama and President Bush. That part of the bill is the same. And in fact the ACLU objected to the bill when Bush signed it, just like they objected to it when Obama signed it. The difference is President Obama made it clear he wants Americans not to automatically be detained indefinitely without trial, which the Congress changed the bill so that would not happen, and thus the President signed it, with reservations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:37 AM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Apparently the P&C is having problems with its new website design. It hasn't changed much if at all in three days.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:54 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,019 times
Just refresh the page and it'll change.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
It worked. Thank you. They might want to fix that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area