Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:27 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times

Advertisements

Charleston is a much bigger city than Wilmington and there's a lot more to do. I would not consider it to be more stereotypically Southern. One thing about Charleston, that I've observed, is that it's difficult to break into the inner circles in the community. In that manner it's much different than Columbia, Charlotte or Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 07:31 PM

252 posts, read 282,186 times
Wilmington's downtown has lot more trees than Charleston. Both towns are pretty similar but Wilmington's riverfront area has a cooler vibe than Charleston's more inland "old slave market" area.

Charleston is probably more closer to NYC just because it is bigger and downtown is more urban. Both areas have a lot of transplants.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:23 PM

15 posts, read 41,597 times
klysik,
I know your post is old, but did you ever move to Charleston and are you happier that you did (vs Wilmington). My husband and I are ALSO from CT, and are debating on moving to Charleston or Wilmington. We are in our late 30's, no kids, middle class/high end blue collar (if that is such a thing), and our primary concern is that Charleston has gotten SO expensive, it seems like it would be difficult to enjoy the city or the water unless you can afford a 350k home (which we can't). We have 3 dogs, so townhomes and apartments are not an option, and we require at least 1/3rd an acre of land. Long story short, do you believe Charleston was the right fit for you and why? We currently live on the CT shoreline, and I have also lived in Boston & Pittsburgh. I definitely want to be able to enjoy city amenities and the water, but being mostly blue collar, places like Mt. Pleasant are not an option, and I fear our budget would land us in Goose Creek or Summerville, which might as well be like living in Hartford, CT and thinking that it is "near the water". Let me know your thoughts on your move if you could! Wilmington seems like a lot more bang for your buck when it comes to real estate, but I would love to know why you ultimately didn't enjoy it.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:35 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,009,330 times
Wilmington has more crime than Charleston (but not more than North Charleston) & SC is a more tax-friendly state than NC.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:44 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
They fly? I haven't seen them fly. I'm really going to scream when I see that happen! I do spray them with Home Defense before I beat them, so maybe that's why I haven't seen them fly?
We have a lot fewer since we got bimonthly bug service. Well worth the money.

Anyway, OP would like Wilmington, or Charleston. We moved to Savannah, but will probably move to NC someday, because the heat in Savannah and Charleston is so oppressive. I personally prefer the NC climate. It is southern, but not too southern.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
The temp in Charleston today will be 90 with a real feel of 107. Wilmington will be 89 with a real feel of 107. Better go further north.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 AM

973 posts, read 915,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We have a lot fewer since we got bimonthly bug service. Well worth the money.

Anyway, OP would like Wilmington, or Charleston. We moved to Savannah, but will probably move to NC someday, because the heat in Savannah and Charleston is so oppressive. I personally prefer the NC climate. It is southern, but not too southern.
Hehe, I've never had a problem with the heat here in Charleston. It's sucks for sure, but it doesn't feel like I could cry an egg on my forehead like it did in CA, and having worked in Asia, Charleston climate is a godsend.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:50 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,593 times
The heat here in Charleston is crazy hot. BROILING HOT. I hate it. Gimme 50F to 80F any day.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:20 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Hehe, I've never had a problem with the heat here in Charleston. It's sucks for sure, but it doesn't feel like I could cry an egg on my forehead like it did in CA, and having worked in Asia, Charleston climate is a godsend.
Ha ha, all I remember is a horrific day in Charleston, in July, and being dragged through that stinky old battleship.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:25 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,593 times
I would hate to be in the Yorktown in the heat or any other day. ack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area