Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:59 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times

Advertisements

I came down here first. I loaded my car with clothes, pillows, blankets, kitchen items, laptop, and other smaller items. I have a small car and I packed it full! Six weeks later I flew back north to pack and help load the uhaul. My fiancee, niece, and niece's husband drove the uhaul here. I priced out the pods, and found it was cheaper to get a uhaul and pay for my niece to fly back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lace323 View Post
Here is something different, for those that moved to the Charleston area, how did you move? Not why, but how?

I know many move long distances to get there, and we are going to in July.

Did you use one of the container companies you fill up and they transport? Or did you use a semi company like ABF? Or did you go the old fashioned way and drive a truck yourself from a rental company?

Whats best when moving long distance?

We will be going Colorado to Mt Pleasant.

Thanks!
We moved here by airplane. Household goods were loaded up and shipped here, arriving somewhat intact when we had a house to put them in. Most noticeably, minus a 6ft x 3ft, 100lb king size headboard. Both cars and one truck were shipped. No damage noticed, but the truck is 42 so short of it running into a wall nobody could've spotted the difference anyway.

It was corporate relo. When I've self-relo'd I've lugged everything into a Budget truck and driven across the country hopped up on Red Bull, In and Out Burger and Jack in the Box. The truck drank gas the whole way there (it wasn't a diesel model). Not the most fun thing you can do for about 48 hours straight. A coworker loaded up all of his stuff into a POD and had that shipped, which seems to have worked out far better than the method I used.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Here is something different, for those that moved to the Charleston area, how did you move? Not why, but how?

I know many move long distances to get there, and we are going to in July.

Did you use one of the container companies you fill up and they transport? Or did you use a semi company like ABF? Or did you go the old fashioned way and drive a truck yourself from a rental company?

Whats best when moving long distance?

We will be going Colorado to Mt Pleasant.

Thanks!
Who will be paying for the move? How many rooms of stuff? How many people and their ages? How many cars? Will you have a place to move directly into when you get here?

Over the years we have done it all from renting a truck, to sit back corporate moves.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 PM

48 posts, read 91,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Who will be paying for the move? How many rooms of stuff? How many people and their ages? How many cars? Will you have a place to move directly into when you get here?

Over the years we have done it all from renting a truck, to sit back corporate moves.
Thanks for those with serious replies. It is helpful - and thats what I was hoping it would be. We have discovered long distance moving is a major expense and thought info on the options may help the many people who relocate to Charleston.

We are a family of five - kids are 8,6, and 4 and we are paying to get ourselves here.

We are selling more and more stuff to only have as little as possible come packing time. Maybe just a couple of beds, tables and family heirlooms - so what, 2-3 rooms?

We think we are selling one car to leave us with one - because it seems moving them is another huge cost

We will do all we can to secure a place before hand yes - already talking to places and leaving standing applications / wait lists etc

Old 01-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for those with serious replies. It is helpful - and thats what I was hoping it would be. We have discovered long distance moving is a major expense and thought info on the options may help the many people who relocate to Charleston.

We are a family of five - kids are 8,6, and 4

We are selling more and more stuff to only have as little as possible come packing time. Maybe just a couple of beds, tables and family heirlooms - so what, 2-3 rooms?

We think we are selling one car to leave us with one - because it seems moving them is another huge cost

We will do all we can to secure a place before hand yes - already talking to places and leaving standing applications / wait lists etc

My suggestion. Rent a U-Haul type truck and load it yourself. Have a few friends help for beer and pizza. If not friends then hire a couple of local young teens. Simple minds, strong backs, $5.00 per hour and pizza but no beer.

One adult and one nipper drive in the truck. Other adult and two nippers in the car. Switch off driving and kids as you go. Communicate via cell phones. Buy throwaway, card type phone(s) if needed.

Denver to Charleston 1700 miles and I say 60 actual miles an hour is a good average rate so I would expect maybe 3 nights on the road. Motels, two double beds. Adults in one bed, two nippers in another bed, 3rd nipper in sleeping bag on the floor. Park the truck upfront in a well lit area. Use the car to go out to eat. The kids will go for quick serve foods. Available and reasonable. More pizza.

Any problems with new place not being ready, then it will cost another day(s) of the truck and motel room.

Should be easy peezy.....

Best of luck.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
Used professional movers - but beware -- professional doesn''t get you done right, necessarily. In another thread, I told the story of finding a few "additional" items delivered: a microwave & lamp that weren't ours as well as a box of miscellaneous household goods. It took 3 phone calls for the movers to come & take them back from us. I have no confidence that the actual owners ever received them back, though.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:28 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Communicate via cell phones. Buy throwaway, card type phone(s) if needed.
You can also communicate with an inexpensive pair of walkie-talkies. Just load up on whatever type of batteries they take (The ones we used took AAA batteries and if you talk a lot, you may have to change them every four hours or so).

Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Used professional movers - but beware -- professional doesn''t get you done right, necessarily. In another thread, I told the story of finding a few "additional" items delivered: a microwave & lamp that weren't ours as well as a box of miscellaneous household goods. It took 3 phone calls for the movers to come & take them back from us. I have no confidence that the actual owners ever received them back, though.
My aunt moved from Wisconsin to Massachusetts and used "professional" movers. When the movers arrived in Massachusetts, the cost conveniently went up drastically. My aunt could not get her things until she paid the price increase. They also didn't have everything of hers on that truck. She had to wait a couple months to get the rest. She moved in the winter and her snowblower and ATV with the plow were on the second truck.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
You can also communicate with an inexpensive pair of walkie-talkies. Just load up on whatever type of batteries they take (The ones we used took AAA batteries and if you talk a lot, you may have to change them every four hours or so).
Tried those walk talkies one time when driving two cars. They do not work well and if you get separated there will be issues.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
My family and stuffed stayed in FL 5 hours away. I rented a house, stayed in it, and brought stuff in car load at a time to make my living more comfortable(I traveled back and forth on the weekends). 2 trips were in a quad cab Dodge Ram with a topper.

2 Months later when my wife and kid could join me, my stuff was shipped by a moving company(paid for by my company)

I self moved just recently and it realigned my thoughts, don't care how much it costs... pay someone to move your stuff. Its too much work, especially with a kid. Only reason that kept me from paying someone, is i had a 3 week overlap, and my move was a 1/4 mile.

A previous move, I moved 75 miles away, self moved that. I had an overlap and did a few truckloads of uhaul stuff with friends. The last truckload, the "final move day" was stressful as hell, we made it but it was a tight fit.

On all moves, when I made "trips" I staged up truckloads of stuff in my garage, so when I had a truck I just loaded it and went. It also helps you get an idea of how much crap you actually have when you pack, pile and stack it all up in a spot. Two car garages and anything but the largest Uhaul trucks start to look really small, quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area