Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:06 PM

455 posts, read 669,937 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Knoxville, TN and are planning to move from the area. Husband and I are in our 50's and son will be graduating college in May. We had relocated from Northern NJ and have found Knoxville, while a pleasant place to live, a bit too quiet for us, as well as having some enviornmental issues. We like a bigger city with a little more going on than Knoxville.
We are both retiring and may look for a small business to run, while son will be looking for a job. (Liberal arts major, so who knows with that one!).
We want to live either near the ocean or at least near some lakes/mountains. Not quite sure what Charlotte offers in terms of outdoor activities, but we know we've got the beach in the Charleston area!
We are planning to take a trip to both places in the spring. Any suggestions what neighborhoods and places to check out in the Charleston area? We've been there as tourists, but need to find out what it would really feel like to live there full time.
Also, any advice about the airport? One of the things we really dislike about Knoxville is that there are few direct flights. I know Charlotte would be alot better to travel from, but is Charleston as bad as Knoxville?
All suggestions about our potential move would be welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,567 times
I haven't found that there are any direct flights from Charleston to the places I want to go. I can get a direct flight out of Myrtle Beach to fly north and see family, but that is around 85 miles away. Thankfully, it is an easy ride. I have found that I can get flights cheaper from Myrtle Beach. Charleston seems kind of on the high side.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
I have lived in Charlotte and now reside in Charleston. If you want a lg city Charlotte is the one. But mts are several hrs away as is the coast.... outdoor activities w/water not easily available.

Charleston is smaller but quite in contrast with Charlotte as far as history and architecture etc. and also outdoor activities-there are a lg no. of great parks in Charleston county and of course water/beach activities.

I truly enjoyed Charlotte as a young, working professional... I now enjoy Charleston as a retired and avid nature lover!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:31 AM

157 posts, read 322,309 times
Great blue heron is right except for outdoor activities w/water. There is Lake Norman about 20 mi. north of Charlotte which is HUGE and a boating mecca. We know because we are in the exact same place as you (weighing Charlotte against Charleston). We are ONLY considering the Lake Norman area (if we choose Charlotte) because we want to be near water too, and the city of Charlotte holds no charm for us.

He is also correct in characterizing Charlotte as better for working; Charleston for retiring. Yes, you can make a living in Charleston, but my research shows that the average wage there falls well below Charlotte (US baseline=$46,742; Charlotte=$54,388; Charleston=$40,476), so regardless of what you make, that differential could mean a lot of money (i.e., double those numbers and the annual difference is almost $30,000 a year less in Charleston vs Charlotte). If you are retired, maybe this isn't important.

Beach - great, but....and this is a hard pill to swallow when looking at the waves...hurricane and flood insurance. I just called my insurer this morning to ask about my car - $756 in Charleston vs $482 in Charlotte, same coverage. Homeowners difference likely much bigger.

As of last weekend, gas was pretty much the same.

Charlotte offers mountains about 90 minutes away, I don't know where decent mountains are in proximity to Charleston.

Politically...Charlotte is pretty blue...Charleston is definitely red.

Weather. Avg. highs in summer are close enough to be a wash. Charlotte averages 10 degrees colder in a few winter months.

Travel. Stands to reason flights out of Charlotte will be cheaper with more options. Southwest just announced they will start here too!

Character. Here is where Charleston shines. There is little to compare it too. Charlotte is a smaller version of a big city. Decent, tall buildings, reasonably clean, easy to navigate...looks no different than two dozen other large cities around the county. Charleston is altogether unique. Much smaller, densely packed, old historic homes and buildings reflecting history out the wazoo. Cobblestone streets...I could go on and on, but you'll see by just googling and selecting "images."

However...it's also very easy to get lured by her beauty and charm! If I was retiring tomorrow, no question, I'd be there in a NY minute, but my wife and I have a good 12-15 years to work (ages 53 and 45), and so we are having to be more realistic and objective about employment, salaries, taxes, etc. I look at it this way...some places impose a "paradise" tax to live there (higher costs, lower wages, less home for the $), while other places need to pay you more to get you there, a "misery" tax (Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland). Charleston is in the former. Charlotte is neither.We were in Charleston last weekend, and as much as we are trying to make it work, the numbers are dampening our hopes. We haven't made a final decision yet and if I wasn't opposed to making half of what I made in California, we'd be there.

Final points:
Don't underestimate hurricanes, humidity and tourists
Charlotte sits between the ocean and mountains if you want both
SC has lower income tax, but significantly higher (esp. near the beach) insurance costs
As of today, Charlotte unemployment = 10% (slight downward trend); Charleston = 7.8% (steeper downward trend)

It may sound like I'm a bit negative on Charleston...I'm not...frankly, I think it's great, and if I were sitting on a pile of cash, retired, kids were grown up and /or I worked in the airline industry (Boeing) I'd choose it over Charlotte. It has 10x more character than most cities, including Charlotte.

Hope these insights help. Who knows, we could end up there ourselves!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
I don't think Lake Norman holds a candle to the two lakes we have here in the Low Country, our third largest lake in the state is nearly twice it's size.....

When filled to capacity,(lake Norman) its surface area is 32,510 acres with a shoreline of 520 miles and a main channel 34 miles in length

Lake Moultrie is the third largest lake in South Carolina covering over 60,000 acres

Lake Marion is the largest lake in South Carolina, centrally located and with territory within five counties. The lake is referred to as South Carolina's inland sea. It has a 315-mile (507 km) shoreline and covers nearly 110,000 acres

Stats are from Wikipedia so take them with a grain of salt until you can verify them....

Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedmiston View Post
Great blue heron is right except for outdoor activities w/water. There is Lake Norman about 20 mi. north of Charlotte which is HUGE and a boating mecca. We know because we are in the exact same place as you (weighing Charlotte against Charleston). We are ONLY considering the Lake Norman area (if we choose Charlotte) because we want to be near water too, and the city of Charlotte holds no charm for us.

He is also correct in characterizing Charlotte as better for working; Charleston for retiring. Yes, you can make a living in Charleston, but my research shows that the average wage there falls well below Charlotte (US baseline=$46,742; Charlotte=$54,388; Charleston=$40,476), so regardless of what you make, that differential could mean a lot of money (i.e., double those numbers and the annual difference is almost $30,000 a year less in Charleston vs Charlotte). If you are retired, maybe this isn't important.

Beach - great, but....and this is a hard pill to swallow when looking at the waves...hurricane and flood insurance. I just called my insurer this morning to ask about my car - $756 in Charleston vs $482 in Charlotte, same coverage. Homeowners difference likely much bigger.

As of last weekend, gas was pretty much the same.

Charlotte offers mountains about 90 minutes away, I don't know where decent mountains are in proximity to Charleston.

Politically...Charlotte is pretty blue...Charleston is definitely red.

Weather. Avg. highs in summer are close enough to be a wash. Charlotte averages 10 degrees colder in a few winter months.

Travel. Stands to reason flights out of Charlotte will be cheaper with more options. Southwest just announced they will start here too!

Character. Here is where Charleston shines. There is little to compare it too. Charlotte is a smaller version of a big city. Decent, tall buildings, reasonably clean, easy to navigate...looks no different than two dozen other large cities around the county. Charleston is altogether unique. Much smaller, densely packed, old historic homes and buildings reflecting history out the wazoo. Cobblestone streets...I could go on and on, but you'll see by just googling and selecting "images."

However...it's also very easy to get lured by her beauty and charm! If I was retiring tomorrow, no question, I'd be there in a NY minute, but my wife and I have a good 12-15 years to work (ages 53 and 45), and so we are having to be more realistic and objective about employment, salaries, taxes, etc. I look at it this way...some places impose a "paradise" tax to live there (higher costs, lower wages, less home for the $), while other places need to pay you more to get you there, a "misery" tax (Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland). Charleston is in the former. Charlotte is neither.We were in Charleston last weekend, and as much as we are trying to make it work, the numbers are dampening our hopes. We haven't made a final decision yet and if I wasn't opposed to making half of what I made in California, we'd be there.

Final points:
Don't underestimate hurricanes, humidity and tourists
Charlotte sits between the ocean and mountains if you want both
SC has lower income tax, but significantly higher (esp. near the beach) insurance costs
As of today, Charlotte unemployment = 10% (slight downward trend); Charleston = 7.8% (steeper downward trend)

It may sound like I'm a bit negative on Charleston...I'm not...frankly, I think it's great, and if I were sitting on a pile of cash, retired, kids were grown up and /or I worked in the airline industry (Boeing) I'd choose it over Charlotte. It has 10x more character than most cities, including Charlotte.

Hope these insights help. Who knows, we could end up there ourselves!
Same mountains so add 2.5 hours...

Charleston County is about as blue as you can get in the south, it when for PBO full on in '08, has had a Democrat Mayor for nearly fourty years and is probably the heart of the Democrat base here in SC....

We have alot more industry here than Boeing....

Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM

I'll defer to you on most of those things since you live there. I was pointing out Lake Norman because the OP wanted water and wasn't sure what Charlotte had to offer. I would add that if the OP wants to live near water, those two lakes you mention are a bit far to commute into Charleston for work, whereas Norman is considered "commutable" unless you are north of the halfway point (Rt. 150).

I agree with your assessment of blue...but as a state, SC is considered quite conservative.

Again, my comment about Boeing wasn't to imply there were no other industries, merely that they are a large, healthy employer that would influence my decision to move there (were I in that industry). Please elaborate on the other industries since we are considering it ourselves....

Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Being a Charlottean (native) who absolutely adores Charleston, I have to say Charleston hands down.

If flying is an issue, remember Charlotte is the most expensive airport onthe east coast to fly out of. Now the word is that southwest is coming but time will tell.

I agree with OTC that Charleston county is far more blue than Charlotte.

There is also the National Whitewater Center here, it is going through some changes so who knows how it will fair.

Wed, I would double check that insurance rate, something doesn't sound right.

As we all know bofa is in a tremendous amount of trouble, that is part of the glue for Charlotte right now and its demise is a factor. Just keep that in mind.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Just to put a perspective on it, we moved to Charlotte two months ago and only recently (before buying home) decided it might be worthwhile to check out Charleston, so....

What doesn't sound right about my insurance figures? They came directly from my insurance company based on zip codes in Mt. Pleasant and Cornelius when I thought it would be a good idea to compare rates in each area. Obviously those are for MY car and MY driving record and MY coverage, but stratified for those variables, there is the difference I cited. This is from the Insurance Information Institute

Old 01-27-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedmiston View Post
I'll defer to you on most of those things since you live there. I was pointing out Lake Norman because the OP wanted water and wasn't sure what Charlotte had to offer. I would add that if the OP wants to live near water, those two lakes you mention are a bit far to commute into Charleston for work, whereas Norman is considered "commutable" unless you are north of the halfway point (Rt. 150).

I agree with your assessment of blue...but as a state, SC is considered quite conservative.

Again, my comment about Boeing wasn't to imply there were no other industries, merely that they are a large, healthy employer that would influence my decision to move there (were I in that industry). Please elaborate on the other industries since we are considering it ourselves....
The traffic on I-77 makes the commute from Lake Norman worse than anything that Charleston has to offer, we are talking about taking an hour on I-77 from downtown Charolette to I-85 where it opens up a bit than another 35-40 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic up to Lake Norman....

Here you have a little traffic on either I-26 at Ashley Phosphate and/or I-526 or you have some traffic on HWY-52 heading out towards Moncks Corner.....

Lake Marion would be a hall from the far side but the areas that my wife and I are looking at near the lake will shorten my commute by about 5 minutes and lengthen my wife's about 15 minutes.....

Industries: Bosch, Bayer, Behr, Alcoa, JW Alum, Nucor Steel and it surrounding support industries, BP Polyester, Dupont Polyester, DAK America, etc.....

Those are just some of the big players in the area, lots more smaller industries and few other large as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area