U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,644 posts, read 9,009,064 times
Reputation: 5917

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
Well put Mustang.

My issues with Mt P are many, but most of all is the attitude of the people. They are the most politely bigoted group I've ever lived around. They are just outright arrogant about their wealth, OR their determination to pretend they have wealth. How they view themselves and others in comparision is just sickening. I too prefer "community", a place that wouldn't jail a woman for a messy yard. Not a hazard to the community, a safety issue.....but just a yard that neighbors didn't like the looks of.

I'm sure there are many other places in the US like Mount Pretentious. But my gosh is this place so not worth the money. But rather than just "its not for me", I've had first hand experience, multiple times, as have friends, of the outright arrogance and bigotry of this "town", and can't wait to get back to the real world outside of Mt P and the Chas peninsula.
There are things that you can say about your own personal experience in Mt Pleasant but when you try and portray it as some crime ridden area that even your own data does not support, that is an inaccurate portrayal of the town.

I am moving from Mt Pleasant in a couple of years when my daughter graduates because I prefer the country and the extra space that affords. Even though, I have decided Mt Pleasant is not for me, I will not come and try to paint it as something it is not.

It is a suburbia with low crime rate, good schools, and a fairly high median income. It is also quite crowded, dominated by HOA controlled neighborhoods, and has an increasing amount of traffic. If a person wants that type of environment, then they want to know what Mt Pleasant is actually like but trying to portray it as some crime ridden area is simply not an accurate portrayal of the town.

In addition, your insistence that Mt Pleasant is some over the top arrogant and snobby town is not my or many others experience. It is like many other above average income towns across America. It values and places importance on cleanliness, good schools, and facilities. There are a lot of people that are looking for that combination and if it is not for you, that's fine, but no need to be so darn vicious about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,794,568 times
Reputation: 2534
Basically... this ^ .

Even I'm not a huge fan of the place because it's a huge pain to get around and a few other reasons amounting to the fact that outer suburbia is SO not our thing, but it's getting a bit old.

And the people there seem ok, albeit afraid of crossing bridges. Crossing on foot is apparently ok, but only if they turn around before they get to the icky part of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:23 AM
 
Location: Windsor Hill, North Charleston, SC
1,075 posts, read 1,775,697 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
There are things that you can say about your own personal experience in Mt Pleasant but when you try and portray it as some crime ridden area that even your own data does not support, that is an inaccurate portrayal of the town.
The exact same thing can be said about the railings going on in this forum against North Charleston by people that reference 5-10 year old statistics and antiquated prejudices.

What you seem to miss about the OPs thread is that he does, in fact, state fact.

Just because he didn't use a number or data you liked does not change the fact that his numbers are accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 AM
 
Location: Windsor Hill, North Charleston, SC
1,075 posts, read 1,775,697 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post

And the people there seem ok, albeit afraid of crossing bridges. Crossing on foot is apparently ok, but only if they turn around before they get to the icky part of downtown.
LOL .. this made me laugh .. nearly spit coffee on my monitor .. ROFL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 AM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,644 posts, read 9,009,064 times
Reputation: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
The exact same thing can be said about the railings going on in this forum against North Charleston by people that reference 5-10 year old statistics and antiquated prejudices.

What you seem to miss about the OPs thread is that he does, in fact, state fact.

Just because he didn't use a number or data you liked does not change the fact that his numbers are accurate.
Actually, my rebuttal earlier in the thread used his exact same statistics that he linked. He was trying to portray Mt Pleasant as one of the most or more dangerous areas of South Carolina. The statistics, and to be more to the point, his statistics, did not tell that story. It actually showed that Mt Pleasant's crime rate is quite low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:33 AM
 
Location: Windsor Hill, North Charleston, SC
1,075 posts, read 1,775,697 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Actually, my rebuttal earlier in the thread used his exact same statistics that he linked. He was trying to portray Mt Pleasant as one of the most or more dangerous areas of South Carolina. The statistics, and to be more to the point, his statistics, did not tell that story. It actually showed that Mt Pleasant's crime rate is quite low.
I get your point.

But what you want is to state per capita stats.
He is stating hard numbers.

His numbers are right no matter how you twist it.

More murders is more murders is more murders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:39 AM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,644 posts, read 9,009,064 times
Reputation: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
You want to state per capita stats.
He is stating hard numbers.

He is right no matter how you twist it.

More murders is more murders is more murders.
Yes there were 2 murders in Mt Pleasant. There were cities and towns with less than that. But, it was obvious that the OP's inference was that Mt Pleasant had a huge crime problem.

I think the crime rate is a pretty important thing to look at because I'm pretty sure there is no place in the United States that has absolutely zero crime (why we do not look at just the counts). The easiest measure, for comparative purposes, is to look at the crime rate. Per the OP's statistics, the crime rate in Mt Pleasant is quite low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:46 AM
 
Location: Mt. Pleasant - Charleston, SC
167 posts, read 269,454 times
Reputation: 107
Why do we keep engaging this obvious troll in his incessant drive to rail against Mt. Pleasant? It is clear he has an axe to grind but I am not going to let his crap attitude ruin my enjoyment of this forum and no one else should either.


I AM TELLING YOU ALL THAT THIS WORKS:


My Settings link at top of page
Edit Ignore List on left
SeaBass08 in open field
Hit Save


His ridiculous, skewed banter will show up in a much more palatable form like this:

seabass08 This message is hidden because seabass08 is on your ignore list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:46 AM
 
Location: Windsor Hill, North Charleston, SC
1,075 posts, read 1,775,697 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes there were 2 murders in Mt Pleasant. There were cities and towns with less than that. But, it was obvious that the OP's inference was that Mt Pleasant had a huge crime problem.

I think the crime rate is a pretty important thing to look at because I'm pretty sure there is no place in the United States that has absolutely zero crime (why we do not look at just the counts). The easiest measure, for comparative purposes, is to look at the crime rate. Per the OP's statistics, the crime rate in Mt Pleasant is quite low.
There are no murders on my street.

The only crime is the neighbor burning leaves in an open pit in her backyard.

Per there OPs stats there were more murders in Mt. Pleasant than there were in Myrtle Beach, Mauldin, Summerville, Moncks Corner .. etc etc etc. Those are hard numbers and you cannot deny them.

That's it.

Saying it doesn't count because of how many people live there so a person can say the crime RATE is low is just adding to the OPs stance that MtP does that .. twists things around to make themselves appear better than everyone else.

Don't feed the trolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,644 posts, read 9,009,064 times
Reputation: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
There are no murders on my street.

The only crime is the neighbor burning leaves in an open pit in her backyard.

Per there OPs stats there were more murders in Mt. Pleasant than there were in Myrtle Beach, Mauldin, Summerville, Moncks Corner .. etc etc etc. Those are hard numbers and you cannot deny them.

That's it.

Saying it doesn't count because of how many people live there so a person can say the crime RATE is low is just adding to the OPs stance that MtP does that .. twists things around to make themselves appear better than everyone else.

Don't feed the trolls.
There are no murders on my street either and I can actually remember these two that did occur in Mt Pleasant because it was pretty big news down here.

Not twisting around anything. Shoot, one of my degrees is in Mathematics. Thus, to me it simply doesn't make sense to use counts of two measures when other factors are not equal; in this case population. In order to make an even comparison, you must look at the ratio which then allows for a comparative analysis. That or you either look at two measures of equivalent weight (e.g. population).

Should a person look at the counts? Sure. But let's also put it into context and that was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top