U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM

131 posts, read 303,719 times

Advertisements

Beckycat, I would recommend West Ashley for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM

11,785 posts, read 26,703,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl1 View Post
Beckycat, I would recommend West Ashley for you
Thanks! I'm trying to understand the area since I haven't visited yet. From what I've heard it's split up into 2 sections, in the belt and out of the belt, if I'm correct? Is the area spread out or are there different sections where you would shop? Are your everyday needs in one area or do you have to go from one side of the town to the other to get to things? I'd like most things to be within 2 miles or so from home. I'd like to work close to home. Important things would be Walmart, Ross, TJ Maxx, Home Depot, dollar stores, restaurants, entertainment, doctors, and hospitals. I like town centers and downtowns with shops, restuarants/bars, cafe's as well. How is the traffic? Is there a more desirable area?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,598,603 times
Hi Becky,

We've recently moved to the westernmost part of West Ashley. I have no idea if your town in Florida is a major metro area or not. Charleston is not. It is a marvelous small city that will have anything your little heart desires. No matter where you choose to live, you can hop in your car and be to any other part of Charleston in a time frame that makes people from major metro areas smile. All the stores you like are here. Anything you like to do you can find. You'll find more, in fact than you think at first. There are little treasures everywhere.

My wife searched the web for months, and months. She had a list of places she was interested in a mile long. When we arrives the first time, all of that was out the window. It will never be what you think you see on a web site. Come here, and come here a couple or three times at least. Get a realtor, they do not bite, and the DO know every area to take you based on your preferences. They'll drive Ours bought meals (Our budget was very blue collar too)

At night check out the night life. you will not find the treasures on these visits. That takes time, and they are very personal choices too. (ie: I go to the beach at Folly to just meditate on things for an hour or so, most would not) Go to the tourist traps. Folks on this board will make fun of them sometimes, but we have a couple we love to go to.

The point is, you can ask questions all you want, that's what this board is about. At the end of it all though, you need to see for yourself. There is no other way.

I currently commute between Charleston, and the Chicago area for work. I'm not the only nut here who does that kind of thing. It makes you wonder, doesn't it, what about Charleston would make that insanity worth while?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
Hi Becky,

We've recently moved to the westernmost part of West Ashley. I have no idea if your town in Florida is a major metro area or not. Charleston is not. It is a marvelous small city that will have anything your little heart desires. No matter where you choose to live, you can hop in your car and be to any other part of Charleston in a time frame that makes people from major metro areas smile. All the stores you like are here. Anything you like to do you can find. You'll find more, in fact than you think at first. There are little treasures everywhere.

My wife searched the web for months, and months. She had a list of places she was interested in a mile long. When we arrives the first time, all of that was out the window. It will never be what you think you see on a web site. Come here, and come here a couple or three times at least. Get a realtor, they do not bite, and the DO know every area to take you based on your preferences. They'll drive Ours bought meals (Our budget was very blue collar too)

At night check out the night life. you will not find the treasures on these visits. That takes time, and they are very personal choices too. (ie: I go to the beach at Folly to just meditate on things for an hour or so, most would not) Go to the tourist traps. Folks on this board will make fun of them sometimes, but we have a couple we love to go to.

The point is, you can ask questions all you want, that's what this board is about. At the end of it all though, you need to see for yourself. There is no other way.

I currently commute between Charleston, and the Chicago area for work. I'm not the only nut here who does that kind of thing. It makes you wonder, doesn't it, what about Charleston would make that insanity worth while?
Thanks Silversides! I just can't wait to get up there to look around more to see what it is actually like. Can you recommend a good realtor? Did you buy a home or rent first?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Thanks Silversides! I just can't wait to get up there to look around more to see what it is actually like. Can you recommend a good realtor? Did you buy a home or rent first?
Hi Becky,

I sent a DM with our realtors info

We purchased. The journey here took us about 4 years or so, and we visited a number of times (I forget exactly how many) Because of where we came from, we knew immediately what we did not want, and that made it quite easy to pick a spot we did want to live. You will find also that your budget quickly dictates where you will not live as well We had several really sweet deals to pick from, and things have changed for the better, so you may have to search harder to find good deals.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
Hi Becky,

I sent a DM with our realtors info

We purchased. The journey here took us about 4 years or so, and we visited a number of times (I forget exactly how many) Because of where we came from, we knew immediately what we did not want, and that made it quite easy to pick a spot we did want to live. You will find also that your budget quickly dictates where you will not live as well We had several really sweet deals to pick from, and things have changed for the better, so you may have to search harder to find good deals.
Wow, four years. Glad you like it there. It says you live in the westernmost part of West Ashley. How long does it take you to get to stores, like the grocery store? Is it more spread out over there or is WA all about the same?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,366,142 times
Silversides doesn't go to the grocery store.. he goes to the tequila store!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Wow, four years. Glad you like it there. It says you live in the westernmost part of West Ashley. How long does it take you to get to stores, like the grocery store? Is it more spread out over there or is WA all about the same?
It's more spread out, and filling in rapidly.

Publix is 6mins away, Walmart is 4mins

The subdivisions down here are unique to me. I've been in construction all my life and have not seen anything quite like them. The main development is quite huge, the sub sections are built with different types of housing depending on which builder does the work. It is over 2 miles from our driveway to the entrance of the subdivision on Bees Ferry. (I've started running..well walk jog walk huff walk) so I pay attention to distances a lot more

Downtown is 15 mins after work (it's not a rush) hours and the beach (Folly) is 20-40mins depending on when you go. We go to Folly Beach fairly often for dinner and hanging out. The drive to Folly is all on local roads, with many lights, etc. In contrast, Isle of Palms (Windjammer) is probably farther, but all interestate from here, so it's a shorter trip (and it's possible I drive faster than the posted limit too )

We thought about the layout of things before our first visit. When we drove out of the airport we just smiled at each other, and never thought about it again. I guess if you choose out this way your only limitation will be that you can't realistically walk to the shopping.

WA is not all the same. The older sections are more like what I would call city developments. Closer to city block layouts, etc.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Silversides doesn't go to the grocery store.. he goes to the tequila store!
<snort> I would if they carried the good stuff

Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Wow, four years. Glad you like it there.
It's really not over, I'm still traveling back to this frozen wasteland

It's so cold it hurts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area