U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 AM

3,131 posts, read 3,115,719 times

Advertisements

You missed my point. I never suggested we adopt traffic from other cities (checking my post -- nope didn't say that). I said that I didn't want Atlanta traffic and that's why I don't live there.

Further, saying that Mt. P doesn't have 'real traffic' because it isn't as bad as Atlanta could easily be turned into Atlanta doesn't have real traffic because it isn't as bad as 'Boston' and on up the ladder. There's almost always a worse case scenario.

The idea of road expansion when built to not only accommodate the current traffic, but to try to project future need because it's very expensive to do expansion. It's cheaper to do it at one time than force the public to deal with constant smaller projects playing catch up in shorter time frames.

The issue is their expansion has dealt with the traffic now. It's heavy, but still handles rush hour ok now. But I feel they did not do a very good job of projecting growth for housing that was already in the works as there are not a lot of options to move traffic in Mt. P. An expansion of 41 would help, but I doubt that will come any time soon. This is especially true between 41 and Longpoint.

Most of the rush hour traffic in the morning between 41 and Longpoint is driven by the primary, elementary, and middle schools in Park West as a crush of parents are waiting on their kids to head to school before going in. During the summer they have more flexibility when they travel and you don't get the crush as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM

140 posts, read 235,736 times
I drive from the Wando high school area to downtown daily. The traffic lights are adjusted during weekday mornings to stay green longer running north-south on 17. It takes 25 minutes to get from Wando High School to MUSC downtown. The widening of the lanes have greatly increased traffic speeds and congestion. Those who are complaining now obviously do not know how bad it was pre-construction.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 AM

It all depends on when you drive.

I'd rather have a big box store than more apartment complexes. There's enough housing and population. More dense housing like apartments create more traffic than a big box store.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
It all depends on when you drive.

I'd rather have a big box store than more apartment complexes. There's enough housing and population. More dense housing like apartments create more traffic than a big box store.
My drive starts at 8am everyday onto 17 at Wando HS.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlothian Bull View Post
They need new apartments in Mt. Pleasant because the low supply of them allows those apartments to price gouge people, effectively preventing younger people from living in Mount Pleasant.

My friend is paying over 1000 a month for a 1 bedroom in a older complex there.

I didn't think traffic in Mt. Pleasant was bad at all but I was there during the winter.
Why not move to West Ashley if you want affordable living? Same distance to downtown. Do you prefer MtP to become another West Ashley with low income housing and pockets of crime throughout.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,614,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlothian Bull View Post
They need new apartments in Mt. Pleasant because the low supply of them allows those apartments to price gouge people, effectively preventing younger people from living in Mount Pleasant.

My friend is paying over 1000 a month for a 1 bedroom in a older complex there.

There's a reason for this, son. Come back in ten years once you've made your first 100-500k & have some life experience under your belt. You'll understand then.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_home_owner View Post
My drive starts at 8am everyday onto 17 at Wando HS.

Which much of the morning traffic has passed as people try to get to work by 8. It's heavy now.. but my concern is 3 years from now.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:15 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,952,316 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but MtP has no land inside the forest along 41.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:50 PM

FWIW, the master plan for Park West had additional condos and apartments that haven't been built yet. Park West is still under developer control because there hasn't been enough homes built to effect the turnover.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Which much of the morning traffic has passed as people try to get to work by 8. It's heavy now.. but my concern is 3 years from now.
You have statistical data to support that or is that an assumption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or