U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:27 PM

3,145 posts, read 3,130,260 times

Advertisements

I have driven it at both times enough to have historical knowledge. Do you have statistical data to support that it's the same or is that an assumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM

49 posts, read 82,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
West Ashley, and West Ashley + North Charleston. They're here.
Yes, but some of us don't feel safe commuting and shopping around North Charleston. Also, why should I have to drive 35mins to shop?

I think the areas growth is being restrained right now. Mount Pleasant really has potential to boom and grow, especially with new companies moving into the area.

The traffic in Houston is bad but they also have 10 other highways or roads you can take to avoid it. Charleston is barely a city and shouldn't have so many traffic issues.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM

49 posts, read 82,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_home_owner View Post
You have statistical data to support that or is that an assumption?
I've lived in Houston, TX and can say that at certain times during the day on certain roads it's comparable. I think areas like Plano, Katy, West Lake Hills and Frisco, TX are FAR nicer than Mount Pleasant. The area just needs refinement.

I'm sorry but North Charleston and West Ashley are a dump. Mount Pleasant is much nicer... Daniel Island is nice but overpriced...

Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 AM

10,653 posts, read 9,032,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishacadiana82 View Post
Yes, but some of us don't feel safe commuting and shopping around North Charleston. Also, why should I have to drive 35mins to shop?

I think the areas growth is being restrained right now. Mount Pleasant really has potential to boom and grow, especially with new companies moving into the area.

The traffic in Houston is bad but they also have 10 other highways or roads you can take to avoid it. Charleston is barely a city and shouldn't have so many traffic issues.
Quote:
I've lived in Houston, TX and can say that at certain times during the day on certain roads it's comparable. I think areas like Plano, Katy, West Lake Hills and Frisco, TX are FAR nicer than Mount Pleasant. The area just needs refinement.

I'm sorry but North Charleston and West Ashley are a dump. Mount Pleasant is much nicer... Daniel Island is nice but overpriced...
You can't compare the two. Texas - wide open spaces - plenty of room to expand. Charleston - surrounded by water and rivers. Very little room to expand.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,824,855 times
Quote:

The stores were probably there before you moved to the area. If driving 35 minutes to get to them is that much of an issue maybe moving to a different part of the city would have been a better decision.

Quote:
I'm sorry but North Charleston and West Ashley are a dump.
The same could be said for your attitude. It sounds like you don't get out much.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,672,990 times
Quote:
If the thought that rural West Ashley is a "dump" keeps people with bad attitudes away, I'm all for that.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,604,125 times
Quote:

Why shouldn't you have to drive 35 minutes to shop? Bet you also whine about the entitlement mentality, with others.

Feeling safe in and around NC and you want to use Houston as a comparison?? Thank goodness the roads that lead in are the veryones that lead out.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 AM

234 posts, read 315,989 times
As a future transplant who's actually looked at the real estate and toured Charleston in depth, I can confirm that West Ashley is by no means "a dump"... I would also not put North Charleston in the "dump" category. As with all areas, they both have their problem spots... If you classify them as dumpy, you seriously have to get out and see the world a little.

Perhaps we can take a trip to South Bronx and Soundview in NY. Those areas are lovely this time of year

Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM

3,145 posts, read 3,130,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
The stores were probably there before you moved to the area. If driving 35 minutes to get to them is that much of an issue maybe moving to a different part of the city would have been a better decision.
Shopping areas like housing are a part of a growth discussion, they aren't static and while it may have been acceptable to drive 20 mins 15 years ago doesn't mean that you want to drive 35 mins today. Just like they have added hospitals in Mt. Pleasant to meet demand. They should also build shopping and recreational centers to meet current demand.

The question is, would a majority of the people in Mt. Pleasant desire a few big box stores to come in, or more high density housing. As far as I'm concerned, I believe we have plenty of housing and there are other areas that housing can go into. There are only a few areas right now where we can attract big box stores.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:26 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,378,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Shopping areas like housing are a part of a growth discussion, they aren't static and while it may have been acceptable to drive 20 mins 15 years ago doesn't mean that you want to drive 35 mins today. Just like they have added hospitals in Mt. Pleasant to meet demand. They should also build shopping and recreational centers to meet current demand.

The question is, would a majority of the people in Mt. Pleasant desire a few big box stores to come in, or more high density housing. As far as I'm concerned, I believe we have plenty of housing and there are other areas that housing can go into. There are only a few areas right now where we can attract big box stores.
yep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or