Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 AM

315 posts, read 623,483 times

Advertisements

Big stores opposed in Mount Pleasant | The Post and Courier - Charleston, South Carolina

Mount Pleasants massive growth continues, now with the announced 400,000 square foot complex of "big box" stores. Come on...Mt P city council has been in bed with developers for years. You thought US 17 widening was for residents? HA!! It was to open room for development, aka, money under the table to council.

Anyway...on Mt P resident feared we would look like "Rivers Avenue"!! Oh the horror, we'll resemble a North Charleston road, which btw has propelled N Char to the #1 retail sales city in SC (aka, bigger tax base for services).

A resident said we (Mt P) can afford to be "more particular". Of course. We're Mt P. We're too...important...for places that lesser people shop at, like Home Depot. Sam's?? What are we, Mexico or Africa now? GOD O Mighty, a Sam's in Mt P??? Those people from across the bridge will be here, in our town. Next thing you know...it's too horrible to fathom. Sam's???? We are Mt P. We can be particular. We're just.....better than that, ya know?

An HOA director said we'd look like "Myrtle Beach". HA!! Since when did Home Depot and Sams have neon signs and 400 hotel rooms with strip clubs? Also said it would create huge traffic problems. Yes, like Mt P doesn't have that now.

A petition has been started by 80 residents. Just remember, we're Mt Pleasant. We're better than.....COSTCO??? YUCKY!!!! WE dont have places like that in our neighborhood. Thats for those other people to deal with, for us to drive "over there" to shop then come home. Now...they'll come HERE to shop?????

WE can afford to be "particular". Heck, we tossed a woman in jail because we didn't like how her yard looked, SURELY we can stop HOME DEPOT from coming!! Dont they know what type of people Home Depot attracts? The people that work on our mansions...they'll be coming here, not to work for us, but to shop amongst us. Sign the petition, this must be stopped!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 AM

Re-read it. Too funny. "More particular" haha!! Costco? Home Depot? Do they not know this is Mount Pleasant? I mean, we sacrificed and allowed two WalMarts here, heck, we even let McDonalds open up. We should settle for no less than Macy's. Maybe even a Dillards, but thats really pushing it. COSTCO? Home Depot? Next thing you know, our roads will have pickup trucks outnumbering Lexus and BMW's.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
And if the people of Mount Pleasant were celebrating these new stores you would be chastising them for killing the mom and pop stores by bringing in national chains.

Transparent? Oh yeah. I hope you can find some happiness in your new home, but I also hope you aren't holding your breath.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
And if the people of Mount Pleasant were celebrating these new stores you would be chastising them for killing the mom and pop stores by bringing in national chains.

Transparent? Oh yeah. I hope you can find some happiness in your new home, but I also hope you aren't holding your breath.
Not at all. Mom and Pop stores are a thing of the past. Globalization killed them, not WalMart or Costco.

I actually love box stores. Living in Mt P, I hate the drive to get to great stores like Best Buy, Costco, Dicks Sporting Goods. I wish Mt P had them the last 5 years I've lived here, woulda saved me a lot of drives. Mt P will be better off with them. We've been driving and shopping in NC and Chas for years, congesting THEIR roads and doing all the bad things that Mt P folks are afraid box stores will bring. We should have our own here so we can stop going "over there" for it.

I'll find plenty of happiness. I've lived 10 years in North Chas, 5 in Mt P, and 1 in the Folly area. I was happiest in North Chas, and May 1st will be back. Just hope to inform others so they wont make the same mistake.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
I was happiest in North Chas, and May 1st will be back.
Do we have to wait that long?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
As a person who advocates and uses small businesses, I am happy to see the residents coming out against the big box stores. Mt Pleasant has won awards as one of the best locations in America to start and have a small business because our community supports them. I say we continue to do so. All the big box stores we would want is right up 526.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
As a person who advocates and uses small businesses, I am happy to see the residents coming out against the big box stores. Mt Pleasant has won awards as one of the best locations in America to start and have a small business because our community supports them. I say we continue to do so. All the big box stores we would want is right up 526.
But the people of Summerville, West Ashley and North Charleston are TIRED of the 70,000+ residents of Mount Pleasant coming over there, congesting their roads, bringing crime and light pollution....you know, all the things Mt P folks are complaining about that they dont want box stores for? Well, they're tired of carrying the load.

Mt P, you're the 4th largest city in SC. Your resident + daily tourist population is probably 80-90,000, more in the summer. Time to grow up and act like a real city. Best Buy, Dicks and Costco are part of it. Ya ain't Mayberry any longer, and you can thank your mayor and "town" council for selling you out literally.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Do we have to wait that long?
Yes, you do. But dont worry....I'll be back to shop at your new Dicks Sporting Goods, Best Buy and Costco that is soon to come. Heck, in 5 years you'll probably even have a Hooters and maybe even strip club. Prostitution is already going on in the subdivisions, may as well let the commercial version in

Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
...great stores like Best Buy...
Does not compute...

Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Mt. Pleasant wants to stay a town like it is. It is not like the City of Charleston , which has Costco, and other large stores the people from Mt. P must travel 30 minutes to get to. They are whining because they do not want great stores coming to the town. Why not move to Sullivan's island or another tiny place if you do not want growth? I moved out of the town of Mt. Pleasant because it was too small for me. I agree with Seabass. I like Rivers Avenue with Sports Authority and all the new cool places and things to do there and would drive there before from Mt. Pleasant when I lived there. Are these the same people that want to stop the Cruise ships and 526 completion from happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area