U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:51 PM

870 posts, read 1,428,544 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for all the information you provide in this website! It is invaluable! The question that many have asked before is which would you choose, Daniel Island or Mt. Pleasant. We love both for different reasons but what it seems to come down to is the schools. We love the K-8 school on Daniel Island (allows our 5 yr old to go to school with her 11 yr old sister) and our realtor told us that it was an amazing school (that many teachers travel to to learn about their curriculum) however, we hear amazing things about the Mt. Pleasant high school and not so much about the High school option for the Daniel Island residents. We know there is a private school on Daniel Island but have spent way too much on private schools thus far and are trying to get away from that...we have read very different reviews from parents on the school rating sites but would love to get an opinion from you all. Thanx so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:05 PM

315 posts, read 542,060 times
You'll hear a lot of great things about Wando High, and deservingly so, as it's a great school. Some not so great things? That school has a really bad problem right now with prescription drug abuse among a lot of students. They steal it from parents (most of whom are wealthy, and thus have health insurance and plenty of pills). The local police dept doesn't really do a lot of drug enforcement from what I hear, other than crack and heroine and hard drugs, but they dont mess with pills. So there are a lot of parties with lots of pills etc, and the town has the highest suicide rate in the state. I've just known some parents that made a point to talk with their kids about that issue so they dont associate with those crowds.

Now....I know a LOT of schools in America have the same problem. And like them, Wando has a few groups that partake in it pretty heavy, so aside from all the great things that school has, If it were my kid I'd be sure to at least make them aware of it so they can avoid it.

Wando sports programs are absolutely among the best around. Football/basketball aren't as highly successful, but both are very respectable, and the individual sports teams and baseball are elite.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:30 PM

480 posts, read 676,809 times
I was suprised to hear about the drug problems at Wando. You never hear anything about it. I have asked several people including police and lawyers about it and they all confirm. I would definately make your child aware.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:30 PM

23,060 posts, read 12,281,155 times
Sad statement of any middle or high school -- drugs and alcohol are a problem. They have been for at least 40 years and continue to be so. I went to a small private Catholic all girl high school -- and guess what -- alcohol and drugs were there -- and that was 30 something years ago.

Wando is a BIG school but for the most part the kids don't notice. Their world centers around their world. The arts, sports, academic opportunities are amazing. I really enjoy the atmosphere in the school. I volunteer and interact with students and administration on a regular basis. I love the environment and find it to have a strong community feel.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingping View Post
I was suprised to hear about the drug problems at Wando. You never hear anything about it. I have asked several people including police and lawyers about it and they all confirm. I would definately make your child aware.

I dont think it's as much a Mount Pleasant problem as it is a society problem in upper/middle class neighborhoods. Families with a bit of money also have good health insurance, and (just my opinion here) the medical industry is fanatical about dishing out pills for every single thing they can. So....a city with lots of pills in households will surely end up with lots of kids stealing/abusing/sharing them.

But Wando certainly has a big problem with this. I, too, have asked cops and a few teachers, and they say it's not just a problem, but a very big problem that no one really knows how to approach either. Kinda ties into the suicide rate being so high in Mt P as well.

But I wouldnt let that mean Wando isn't a great choice, because it is a very good school. I would just tell any parent to be VERY aware and cautious of the party and drug culture that flows through those halls so their kids can avoid it. Again, it's high school, so thats everywhere, but its usually beer and maybe weed. I personally find the pill abuse thing to be a bit more dangerous because it takes far less to do real damage.

But a bit off topic....the BEST high school in the entire region and state, in fact ranked #12 in the United States, is Academic Magnet High...ironcially located in North Charleston!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,258,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
Kinda ties into the suicide rate being so high in Mt P
Would you please share your sources for this. You keep mentioning it, but I haven't been able to find any figures on the Internet regarding suicide rate by city.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Thank you for the feedback..I tend to believe that that has got to be true. I went to a large wealthier high school and the high end expensive drugs were like cand..the wealthier the town it seems the more available it is. This is important to think about. Thank you.
Question about that Magnet School..because Daniel Island is part of the Charlestown school district, can you apply to that school or is North Charleston different?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Regarding the suicide rates being the highest in state (in Mt. Pleasant)...I did read that online. Moultrie News stated it in an article at the end of December as well. They didn't give any resources other than the Police Citizens Academy staring it...sadly.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Would you please share your sources for this. You keep mentioning it, but I haven't been able to find any figures on the Internet regarding suicide rate by city.
My source: Mount Pleasant Police Department's Citizens Police Academy: http://www.moultrienews.com/news/-14VICEKYPOLICEPICS (broken link)- scroll down through the article, the moultrie news ride along was given this info.

Suicide isn't technically a crime, so it wont be on crime stats. And I'd guess that any info regarding autopsy would be considered private for medical records, just a guess. But MPPD said so. And while it's unofficial, my ex roomy was a local cop, and he said its ridiculous, like almost daily they get these calls.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Default Hijacked post..anyone? Anyone?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area