Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 PM

315 posts, read 623,483 times

Advertisements

Sheriff admits to slapping handcuffed suspect | The Post and Courier - Charleston, South Carolina

Everyone saw and heard about the chase. This is bad news. The Chas Co Sheriff Al Cannon slapped the guy while cuffed in the police car. I, for one, am a fairly big supporter of law enforcement, and HATE that politicians have warped their mission to include things that cops arent for. They ARE, however, for this, meaning catching bad guys. That guy deserved more than a slap. BUT...in todays touchy-feely society, emotion from cops isn't allowed, and many other cops have been fired or even prosecuted for losing their temper with a dangerous suspect. Sheriff Cannon thinks he'll suffer in elections for it, but I doubt it. Most Chas County residents are SICK of this crime and want it stopped.

However, he did the noble thing and self-reported it to SLED, who is investigating whether any charges should be filed on the sheriff.

I encourage everyone to support Sheriff Al Cannon through this. The crime rate in Charleston and North Charleston has been cut by a HUGE amount the last 10 years, and CPD and NCPD get a lot of help from the sheriffs department in doing that. Hope he doesn't get in any trouble over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,987 times
He should have beat the hell out of him!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 AM

26 posts, read 84,729 times
I am sure there are alot worse things that have been done in law enforcement than a slap. He just came clean about doing it. Al Cannon you are my hero!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Those of us not in law enforcement can never know the difficulties, horrors and sentiments of those who put their lives on the line....

no doubt after that chase, when that idiot guy could have killed many, any one of us might, in that final moment, want to give him a smack....not defending, just understanding how it could happen.

The sheriff immediately making his error known is the sign of that wonderful quality:

integrity.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:59 AM

9 posts, read 13,077 times
seabass I cant believe we agree on something. They should have let that dog tear him to pieces for a good 5 minutes before stepping in.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
I don't think it is a big deal either, the sheriff will probably not have any problems because of it. He did not slug him or beat him , just a slap.
However; this chase was for failure to stop and driving on a suspended license x3. Any chase is dangerous, but it was not even for a felony such as robbery, aggravated assault or kidnapping. This chase was all for driving with a suspended license? So, I am suprised at the high level of excitement and chase. If you all want the dog to chew the suspect up or to beat him, what would you do to a felon that was fleeing from an armed robbery with several victims shot ?
Can you see my point of view...

Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontmissFL View Post
seabass I cant believe we agree on something. They should have let that dog tear him to pieces for a good 5 minutes before stepping in.
Oh crap, the video is out, and they sort of did just that: Video shows Charleston County Sheriff's deputies beating suspect | The Post and Courier - Charleston, South Carolina

I personally dont have a problem with it. But of course some do and the cops will likely get a lot of heat.

Yeah, I roomed with a local cop for a couple years. The crazy stories were just unbelievable. This isn't a comment to knock Mt P (as you know I love to do).......so hope it is on context, but if the stories that go unreported in Mt P are happening....my god I can only imagine some of the **** that happens in the East Side downtown, Spruill Ave, Atlanta, Charlotte, Columbia, etc, etc, etc. I've always had a huge respect and admiration for the military, and cops are right up there with them to me. Putting their life and reputation on the line daily, on behalf of a population that half loves them, 1/4 indifferent, and 1/4 of whom probably hate them. No excuse for the bad apples either, they make the rest look bad, but I can't imagine how I'd be if I dealt with those types of criminals 40 hrs a week every week for my career.

Anyhoo......support Charleston County Sheriff and all PD's, thanks to all of 'em!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I don't think it is a big deal either, the sheriff will probably not have any problems because of it. He did not slug him or beat him , just a slap.
However; this chase was for failure to stop and driving on a suspended license x3. Any chase is dangerous, but it was not even for a felony such as robbery, aggravated assault or kidnapping. This chase was all for driving with a suspended license? So, I am suprised at the high level of excitement and chase. If you all want the dog to chew the suspect up or to beat him, what would you do to a felon that was fleeing from an armed robbery with several victims shot ?
Can you see my point of view...
Well, look at the cops point of view: A car driving reckless (before the blue lights went on) endangering the drivers on US 17. THEN the sheriff hits the lights and the chase is on. In hindsight, yeah, it's just a suspended license.

But the cops didn't know that before it was over. He could have been fleeing a murder or had a kidnapped hostage. And no matter the crime, the cops dont know him. Why give him the chance to reach for a gun? Or a knife? If I had to make that arrest, and I dont know who the guy is or what he has, you better believe I'm gonna throw the first punch and go home to my kids that night.

Recent stories the past 2 years across America of cops being shot and killed is scary enough that if I was a cop, I'd do everything I could to make it home at night.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
As dramatic as you make it sound (getting home & seeing your kids that night and such) your point of view bears no weight in this case.

The sherrif's action (slapping the cuffed perp while sitting in the car) and the action of the officers upon apprehending the perp (what looks like multiple officers easily subduing him until the dog shows up at which point they let the dog chew on him for a bit) were totally uncalled for.

There is a limit to what the officers are allowed.

It's funny how you are the first to condemn the action of police when they put a woman in jail for having a dirty yard, but you're the first to praise the police when they overstep their bounds when it comes to this guy. You need to make your mind up.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,669 times
not sure what people don't understand about "don't move", but if u "don't understand it" then you are very likely to get beaten and dog bitten by the cops and their dogs...

you must completely submit or the threat is not eliminated and they will continue to work you over until you either submit or they get u in the car with the door closed... and if u spit or lunge at them again after they open the door, they will continue to force u to submit

see the perp in the video continue to wiggle all around and fight? he caused his own demise IMHO

the sheriff should have b*tch slapped him a few more times...

just like they didn't know if bombs were really in that car on the bridge today, they didn't know who or what that guy was up to in that chase until way after they had him locked down in the back seat of a car

someone said something about innocent people being in harms way when they were shooting at him, ever been out there to that section of steed creek rd? the cops already had it partially blocked and it's right on that road that leads to twin ponds rifle range, that's about the safest place you could ever discharge a firearm... there's no traffic out there, a random car here n there, but they had that blocked off by then I'm sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area