Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 PM

26 posts, read 122,608 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been considering a move to the Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area and finally made a trip down to check it out. I've been gathering information on this forum for a couple years and have really enjoyed it. I thought I'd share some of my own feedback with you.

We currently live in New England with 3 children ages 3, 7 and 10. Our target house price is approx 450K. Because the schools in Mt. Pleasant ranked the highest we focused on that community first. We looked at Rivertowne, Dunes West, Park West, Brickyard, Hamlin, Darrell Creek, to name a few. The neighborhoods were beautiful with plenty of amenities, and we loved the great shops (Whole Foods & a new Trader Joes opening). Plus the beaches at Isle of Palms are gorgeous and so convenient. What we didn't like is how all the subdivisions feed off one long hwy-17, and parts of the highway and roads that lead off it are not that nice. For example you might turn out of a high-end neighborhood and find yourself in a Waffle House parking lot. Nothing against Waffle House ( I do enjoy some late night pancakes - but that day I swear there was a drug exchange going on. Maybe this is what they mean by North of the IOP Connector or South of the IOP Connector. Rte 17 was definitely nicer the closer you drove towards Charleston.

Then we drove to Daniel Island. Everything is new and there are no bad sections, that I could see. Although it's a "planned community" with houses close together, it's VERY well done with tree-lined streets, sidewalks, green spaces, parks and bike trails. It reminded of the New England town feeling we're used to. I didn't like that the shops seemed sterile with a few empty stores (maybe they need a Waffle House - ha ha), but maybe that will improve as the economy rebounds. I also liked that the island has a 1-town feeling with a K-8 school the kids bike to, library you can walk to, etc. Mt. Pleasant isn't all that far (15 mins?) for great shopping. I've heard the school is getting much better (ranked 9 out of 10 on great schools.net) so maybe it will be fine. The high school would have to be the private one (Bishop England) as Hanahan does not sound like an option (not so great scores).

Overall we loved Daniel Island the best even though it is the highest price per square foot in the area. I think it will be worth it for the neighborhood.

I'd love to hear from any Daniel Island residents on how they like living there? Also any idea on what the rental market is like on DI? We're probably going to rent first before buying to make sure we made the right choice.

We can't wait to move down there and start enjoying the layed back lifestyle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,662,315 times
Just to clarify. Daniel Island is a part of the City of Charleston. Patrolled by Charleston Police and you vote in Charleston City elections.

The Charleston County Schools struck a deal for DI kids to go to Berkley County Schools as DI is out in the middle of nowhere. They do not go to Mount Pleasant Schools.

General feeling is there presently are not enough residents to support many businesses on the island. Some open, some close.

Good news for you (bad for many living there) is that home prices have fallen drastically for the last 4 years or so. You can get much more house for less money then 4 years ago, but that is true of the entire area.

In the long run many are questioning what Daniel Island Development Corp? will do with the golf courses once they sell off all the lots/homes. Most agree they will sell the courses as they are not in the golf course management business. As history has shown in this area (Dunes West, Rivertowne, Charleston National, Wild Dunes, etc.), the courses will probably end up going public once real estate sales are done.

I do agree that in MTP you often have to drive thru some older, shabby areas to get to the better places. This happens when "Older" towns are developed verus new, sterile, planned ones.

PS

Waffle house does not serve pancakes.......LOL

Hope this helps.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:13 PM

75 posts, read 244,542 times
No doubt about it that Daniel Island is a lovely little community. But if there is an accident on 526, which is fairly frequent, you're screwed if you've got to get to work. Life on an island can be very limiting. I have some friends, a young couple (early 30's) that bought there about a year ago. They're regretting their decision. Not 'cause they don't love their house - they do, not 'cause they don't love the little Daniel Island community and the few shops - they do, but because to do everything else...they have to drive, drive, drive. Consider it all before you buy. And yes, Berkeley County schools are nothing to get excited about. Mt. Pleasant schools are all good - especially the ones at the North end (Laurel Hill, Pinckney, etc.) are the top tier in the entire state. Just things to consider...

Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 PM

217 posts, read 573,293 times
I live in that neighborhood you mention that "leads" into a Waffle House parking lot. Honestly, anyone who's that concerned about the parking lot can avoid it completely and drive down a different road to get back to Long Point. But really, who doesn't like breakfast food? If you are worried about crime in my neighborhood stemming from the Waffle House, rest assured, it is very quiet back here. I've never seen anyone roaming around looking for trouble either on foot or in a vehicle. If you're worried about being burglarized, our subdivisions aren't mapped out well for those. There's only one way in/out and our streets are fairly narrow and winding. I suppose they could run, but they'd only end up in the marsh.

And I promise you this, wealthy people buy drugs, too.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:43 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,063,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Just to clarify. Daniel Island is a part of the City of Charleston. Patrolled by Charleston Police and you vote in Charleston City elections.

The Charleston County Schools struck a deal for DI kids to go to Berkley County Schools as DI is out in the middle of nowhere. They do not go to Mount Pleasant Schools.

General feeling is there presently are not enough residents to support many businesses on the island. Some open, some close.

Good news for you (bad for many living there) is that home prices have fallen drastically for the last 4 years or so. You can get much more house for less money then 4 years ago, but that is true of the entire area.

In the long run many are questioning what Daniel Island Development Corp? will do with the golf courses once they sell off all the lots/homes. Most agree they will sell the courses as they are not in the golf course management business. As history has shown in this area (Dunes West, Rivertowne, Charleston National, Wild Dunes, etc.), the courses will probably end up going public once real estate sales are done.

I do agree that in MTP you often have to drive thru some older, shabby areas to get to the better places. This happens when "Older" towns are developed verus new, sterile, planned ones.

PS

Waffle house does not serve pancakes.......LOL

Hope this helps.
Charleston County school district did not "strike a deal" for DI kids to go to Berkley County schools. Since DI is in Berkley County, it is obligated to provide public education for DI.

DI is a relatively new community and a number of businesses there have closed but this is true for all communities, especially in these recessionary times. DI's population is growing and is doing fine considering the economic downturn.

It probably will be a few years before DI gets a Waffle House though. LOL

Old 05-15-2011, 03:59 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,676,997 times
It sounds like you really like Daniel Island and it will be a good fit for you. I really like it too, and if the schools were better we may have chosen a home there also. A few years ago my husband and I lived in a home just south of a military base that was right by the water. To get past the base to our home we only had one commute option, unless we were on our boat.
Accidents could tie up our commute for HOURS, so I understand the posters comments about being stuck. Unless it's a really severe accident even people who have the option of going a different route would spend more time traveling around than to just sit it out, so I don't know if that's enough of a dissuasion. My son volunteers at the Battery a few times a week so I usually just hang around Daniel Island until he is finished. I do quickly run out of things to do there, but Long Point Road is just a quick hop down the freeway and there's lots of shopping there.
Personally, I like the older homes I see along the highway in Mount Pleasant. Just because they are older, smaller, or even poorer doesn't mean they are dangerous to be around. Plus I think it's important for my kids to see that the entire country doesn't live in the scrubbed clean environment they are used to. I lived my high school years in a master planned city in S. California, and even to my young eyes the place seemed too sterile.
But it all comes down to personal preference. You know better than anyone what will make you happy. It sounds like you know the drawbacks to your choice as well as the advantages, and that DI has resonated for you. At my husband's office they call it "Boeing Island", so it clearly appeals to a LOT of transplants! I hope you find the perfect home! Be sure to check out then waterfront on DI. It was months before I found it, and just the oak lined street is worth seeing.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:43 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,131 times
absolutely love it here. We dont ever plan on leaving. Its as close to paradise as it gets in my opinion. Concert in the park was this weekend and was an absolute blast. Kids everywhere, music, good food, good drinks, it was great. We're constantly pinching ourselves living here.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,662,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Charleston County school district did not "strike a deal" for DI kids to go to Berkley County schools. Since DI is in Berkley County, it is obligated to provide public education for DI.

DI is a relatively new community and a number of businesses there have closed but this is true for all communities, especially in these recessionary times. DI's population is growing and is doing fine considering the economic downturn.

It probably will be a few years before DI gets a Waffle House though. LOL

I was wrong. Daniel Island is in Berkley county but it was annexed by the City of Charleston, hence the City of Charleston government.

Sorry for the error.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,781 times
Default Charleston Area Real Estate

When wanting to know about the differences between Mount Pleasant subdivisions and all of the neighborhoods on Daniel Island, come to a professional who has been working in these Charleston sub-markets for the last two decades. Let me introduce you to Charleston Preferred Properties [URL="http://www.CharlestonPreferredProperties.com"]www.CharlestonPreferredProperties.com[/URL] which specifically and exclusively helps buyers relocate to the Charleston area. Bart Jackson is a certified residential appraiser who is the president and owner of Charleston Residential Appraisals as well as the primary buyer representative for Charleston Preferred Properties. He has developed an extensive knowledge and experience level in the Charleston real estate markets, and combined with his work ethic, attention to detail, and a priority on customer service, he has the ideal skill set to represent buyers and not only help them find the right home but also make sure they find the right neighborhood or community that best suits their lifestyle. With almost 20 years of actively working in the Charleston real estate market, Bart is qualified and knowledgeable to show buyers property anywhere in the Charleston Tri-County area and can help describe all of the social and market nuances that exist throughout the Lowcountry. Bart’s appraisal experience makes him extremely qualified to prepare and negotiate offers, and he has developed an extensive network of loan originators, home inspectors, contractors, insurance agents and real estate attorneys that will help ensure a positive home buying experience. Charleston Preferred Properties fully and exclusively represents the interests of the buyer. This is very important as so many people buy real estate without someone professionally looking out for their interests. Charleston Preferred Properties would welcome the opportunity to assist anyone in buying just the right Charleston area property at just the right. Please visit the website for more information and to make contact with any inquiries. [URL="http://www.charlestonpreferredproperties.com/"]www.CharlestonPreferredProperties.com[/URL] "I don't sell real estate - I help people buy it" - Bart Jackson - [EMAIL="Bart@CharlestonPreferred.com"]Bart@CharlestonPreferred.com[/EMAIL]

Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
Bart, read the TOS before you post such spam......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area