U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:17 PM

51 posts, read 54,301 times

Advertisements

OK, my wife and I have been discussing moving to the Summerville/Charleston area for years now. We have made the decision to make the plunge in July/August.

Some key topics I would like to find out:

1. Summerville the right place for us? We are in our 30s, 3 children ages 7-13. Love activities, specially free ones We don't want an area full of retired people, but 30-50 years young.

2. Jobs, I realize commuting to Charleston will most likely be happening. How is the job market looking? I am experienced in everything from Fast food management to sales (my main love) to remote information management.

3. Music scene? My daughter and I are into music and it would be great to be able to catch some major shows and some indie as well. Much a scene in the area? I see venues, but there are venues everywhere.

4. Anyone in the cigar industry want to help me get my foot in the door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 01:51 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,061,137 times
Summerville would work, but you will have to go elsewhere to get big name music acts, we get the occasional big name here but most times it is small acts....

Old 02-04-2012, 02:53 PM

870 posts, read 1,425,411 times
Full house 22,
Why are you choosing Summerville? (we are moving too but haven't visited Summerville yet..only MP)

Old 02-04-2012, 03:59 PM

More house for less money in Summerville, overall the better school district in the area, lower taxes and homeowners insurance, etc....

Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Better than Mt. pleasant schools?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 PM

10,644 posts, read 9,007,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
Better than Mt. pleasant schools?
Dorchester 2 schools as a whole are better than Charleston County schools. Mt Pleasant schools (they're part of Charleston County district) tend to rank the highest in the area behind Academic Magnet. The remainder of the Charleston County schools do not rank anywhere as close to Dorchester 2 and Mt P.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 AM

661 posts, read 1,202,233 times
Summerville is a great place to live, it's affordable and in close proximity to anything you could want. The price of homes is lower than has been in many many years and there's still plenty to choose from. It is also true about the schools. The Dorchester County schools have a reputation for being the best public school system in the State. There is a lot of industry coming in to the Palmetto Commerce Parkway area where Boeing just opened their airplane interiors manufacturing facility. If anyone would like more information, just ask and I'll be happy to provide details. Lisa

Old 02-05-2012, 08:09 AM

I have heard about the Academic Magnet school. Do you get in by lottery? Could you live on DI and go there?

Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,598,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse22 View Post
3. Music scene? My daughter and I are into music and it would be great to be able to catch some major shows and some indie as well. Much a scene in the area? I see venues, but there are venues everywhere.

4. Anyone in the cigar industry want to help me get my foot in the door?
As far as music goes, I follow the Charleston City Paper on twitter. There are lots of posts about the upcoming musicians shows, and plenty of cross posting with lots of information to get you started.

As far as cigars, I'll help out by buying a few nice ones now and then

Old 02-05-2012, 04:30 PM

There are several Cigar shops around, Lighthouse over here is Summerville is where I usually, they are close and I like the owner....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area