U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:01 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,671,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedmiston View Post
Wife and I, but we have an old car and there are a lot of variables to determine a rate (age of car, driving record, ages)
From where to where and shopping around in the answer.

While not all is up to date:

We pay the same for auto insurance for two cars in SC as we did for one car in MA.

We pay about 70% less for real estate taxes then we did in MA for about same house sale price.

I have a BIL that pays 30-40% more here in SC for auto insurance then I do. We are about identical in age, driving record, etc. but I (my wife actually) shopped around.

Where would you be moving to SC from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 PM

157 posts, read 273,567 times
Charlotte, but what I'm really more concerned about is flood insurance, wind & hail coverage, both of which are MUCH more than we have ever paid in the past.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,249,248 times
When we bought our home we had planned on sticking with USAA, who has been our insurance carrier for 17 years. Once we got the actual figures it was no longer reasonable though. They don't deal much with homes in flood zones, so their quote included a portion that was "contracted out" to cover wind and hail plus additional flood coverage. Our realtor directed us to a few insurance companies that specifically dealt with coverage in this type of area. We are east of highway 17, so we have wind and hail and surge coverage, and our insurance premiums are still the same as they are on our house in Seattle that is valued at almost the exact same amount. We had many recommendations for Capitol Insurance, so that's who we went with. USAA still covers our other house, but I'm wondering if I can get some kind of bulk deal if I move all my insurance over to Capitol.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:36 PM

157 posts, read 273,567 times
Can you DM me with an idea as to your cost?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 AM

3,383 posts, read 7,091,396 times
For comparison, I pay less then $2k in Summerville area, for home owners insurance, flood, earthquake actually closer to $1900 We have a decent sized house too. Also auto insurance, This is the cheapest I have ever paid in my life. I pay $700 a year, for my wife and I's cars. Granted one is a "cash car" and has liability only, other a 2007 that is paid off.

LOL $6k a year is not uncommon in FL, for insurance, my auto insurance was more then double in FL as well(then again we didn't have state taxes either)

Mt. P is nice, but in my opinion, and just my opinion not worth the extra money. Yes you are near the water, but I guarantee you still hop in your car to go to the beach, as well as downtown. I have also lived right near the beach so maybe I got it "out of my system", along with going "downtown" all the time but to me wasn't worth the price tag. We all have different financial situations, and preferences, just didn't meet mine.

As for Goose Creek, do you guys want a newer house, or a BRAND NEW, built for you house. There are alot of areas that are nice in GC too. Like Crowfield Plantation.

BTW I use Liberty Mutual, and if there are any Boeing people you get a company discount. They also have Travelors and some others I believe.

Also a heads up, if we get hit by a CAT 5 storm, the flood water is the least of our worries. Might protect the house better. LOL.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:32 AM

10,642 posts, read 8,983,262 times
Yes, homeowner's insurance in Mt Pleasant is something to keep in mind. First, there are few companies that actually write insurance for the East Cooper area. Second is the cost. Mine is around $5K per year. When I moved here many moons ago, it was closer to $1K a year. In the last couple of years, it has finally stabilized.

Now that said, if I make some changes to my house for hurricane protection, I can save a ton on money. So, in some respects, the newer homes might actually have lower insurance costs because they are built with better hurricane protections. I know houses in other areas of Charleston do not pay as much and when I questioned various insurance companies on this, the claim was that the cost to replace in Mt Pleasant was considerably more. Whether that is true or not, I do not know. However, homeowner's insurance costs is indeed something to take into consideration when you are calculating how much house you can afford in Mt Pleasant.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 AM

661 posts, read 1,200,104 times
I have a house in downtown Charleston near the Crosstown that requires flood insurance. I had a new elevation certificate done and an additional vent opened in the crawl space and my flood insurance was reduced significantly; by around 2/3's. And, there are even places in Summerville that require flood insurance unless you have a new elevation cert done. I've sold plenty of houses that initially require it.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,464,015 times
Goose Creek, 2700 sq foot home, Crowfield. I pay 2000 a year home owners insurance which includes wind hail. Our home is in a 500 year flood zone, so that is good as that is the lowest rating, but the quote hasnt come back.
Cars I pay 600 a year for each of my 4 cars, 98 Civic, 02 Corolla, a Corvette and CRv

Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 PM

39 posts, read 53,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Goose Creek, 2700 sq foot home, Crowfield. I pay 2000 a year home owners insurance which includes wind hail. Our home is in a 500 year flood zone, so that is good as that is the lowest rating, but the quote hasnt come back.
Cars I pay 600 a year for each of my 4 cars, 98 Civic, 02 Corolla, a Corvette and CRv
What is the average elevation in Goose Creek?

Old 02-11-2012, 09:10 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,464,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
What is the average elevation in Goose Creek?
Data here says around 41 feet.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Goose-...-Carolina.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or