Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:46 AM

67 posts, read 104,380 times

Advertisements

Ok, you guys are hysterical but I'm actually serious!

As we've been exploring neighborhoods we've been looking at schools, proximity to beach/highway/shopping/etc, prices, crime rates, HOA/non-HOA and so on. Hadn't occurred to me that we need to think about where we are more or less likely to find deadly animals in our yard or on our sidewalks.

I'm actually serious, do kids not go outside to play? Do you build large fences in your backyard to keep out scary things?

We're looking primarily in Mt Pleasant and possibly Daniel Islan - are there neighborhoods that are more or less likely to have scary things? Yes, things like palmetto bugs will gross me out, but they're a fact of life. I'm talking snakes and gators here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
You're talking serious bidness if you want a fence to keep out snakes.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:39 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimom70.3 View Post
Ok, you guys are hysterical but I'm actually serious!

As we've been exploring neighborhoods we've been looking at schools, proximity to beach/highway/shopping/etc, prices, crime rates, HOA/non-HOA and so on. Hadn't occurred to me that we need to think about where we are more or less likely to find deadly animals in our yard or on our sidewalks.

I'm actually serious, do kids not go outside to play? Do you build large fences in your backyard to keep out scary things?

We're looking primarily in Mt Pleasant and possibly Daniel Islan - are there neighborhoods that are more or less likely to have scary things? Yes, things like palmetto bugs will gross me out, but they're a fact of life. I'm talking snakes and gators here.

I have been here for 3 years and the only alligators and bad snakes that I have seen have been at Magnolia Plantation. The snakes were in enclosures so you could see what they looked like.

Maybe look at places that aren't near the water or woods?

Don't forget about black widows. I see them all summer long. They seem to love our patio set.

Kids are always outside playing.

Before I moved here I kind of felt the same way as you. You don't see all the "deadly animals" on a daily basis. You will be fine. The cockroaches a/k/a palmetto bugs are the worst.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:13 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
I have only seen one palmetto bug in my home since moving to Charleston, and I moved here in January 2013. I saw more of them while living in Myrtle Beach.

I have never, ever seen snakes or gators in residential neighborhoods in my entire 8 years of living in SC. Stop fretting

Old 02-18-2014, 01:03 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
even living in the midlands we've seen our share of snakes since moving to SC, including some from the "not so friendly" group. As we live near the lake i expect to see some, what i can say that helped for us around our home is getting rid of the dang pine straw by the house. Had a couple curled up in the straw by our porch, which is not a good thing. So straw is no more, and since we've had stone around the home, zero snakes hiding. Cant say the same for the wooded area in back, but as long as i dont step on one coming out my back door i'm ok.

As for gators, i actually look forward to our trips to Magnolia each spring, to see all those magnificent beasts out sunning themselves. For a northerner, i cant get enough of that sight.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post

As for gators, i actually look forward to our trips to Magnolia each spring, to see all those magnificent beasts out sunning themselves. For a northerner, i cant get enough of that sight.

I like seeing the gators too. When I first moved here I drove around looking for some, but could never find them.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:35 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
To get a heavy dose of gators, go to the Donnelley Wildlife Management Area down 17 south just past the Ashepoo:
https://www.dnr.sc.gov/mlands/managedland?p_id=58

There are causeways that crisscross the wetlands (old rice fields) and at times the gators are so thick and large it's unnerving. Don't be afraid though. Just take a few people with you and remember you'll only have to outrun the slowest member of the group.

It's a great birdwatching area too.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
OK so I went through the sticky thread with all the pictures yesterday and the picture of the alligator was freaky! Where was that? Do alligators come up in your yard? How do you deal with them? Help!
If you live near water you might well see some. In a driveway at Rivertowne.
Attached Thumbnails
Dealing with Alligators-localgator-800x600-.jpg  

Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
even living in the midlands we've seen our share of snakes since moving to SC, including some from the "not so friendly" group. As we live near the lake i expect to see some, what i can say that helped for us around our home is getting rid of the dang pine straw by the house. Had a couple curled up in the straw by our porch, which is not a good thing. So straw is no more, and since we've had stone around the home, zero snakes hiding. Cant say the same for the wooded area in back, but as long as i dont step on one coming out my back door i'm ok.

Getting rid of the pine straw + sealing up the crawlspace = no creepy bug encounters in 2013. I'm hoping for a repeat next year.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,716 times
Getting rid of the pine straw ...

When we moved here, we heard that getting rid of pine straw around your house will eliminate the palmetto bugs. We did that when we moved into our house here in 2011 and haven't had one palmetto bug since... seriously...NOT ONE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area