U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,369,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Only caution I have is be a little cautious about your dog near wild waterways, and even then they are fine, just don;t walk fluffy every day next to gator infested waters and let her sniff by the edge for 15 minutes a day.
I do walk my dogs daily, but mostly just around the neighborhood. I'll avoid the water areas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,254,819 times
We have lots of alligators in the ponds in Charleston National. I have yet to see one actually move. The only precaution I take is to keep my dogs and my kids out of the ponds.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,067,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
We're moving in a short while, and I enjoy quiet time in the woods, and by the water. Everyone I've asked about gators and snakes says the same thing...be aware and enjoy yourself. I've been told that gators are gonna be there, give them respect.

We've got a lab puppy, I'm curious to see what she does.
Don't let your dog anywhere near a gator, dog is like chocolate cake to a diabetic, they just can't resist......

Old 02-07-2012, 01:55 PM

870 posts, read 1,426,069 times
I think I could perform the miracle of walking on water if I came across one on my walks

Old 02-07-2012, 02:59 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,704,889 times
Alligator...tastes like chicken.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,416 times
Don't you watch TV?

Just jump on their back and hold their mouth shut.

Problem solved!

Old 02-07-2012, 04:12 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,054,315 times
,,,,,,,,,that gator will eat that dog SilverSides! QUICK!
You better keep him away from the gator.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,788,549 times
They are absolutely beautiful creatures. I'm new to alligators and have seen about 10 since moving here in July. The reason why I've seen them is that I happen to go places where they live (to fish with my kids). I've seen the most at Bushy Park. I've never seen them at a place that I've felt threatened by them. I've been on docks (up off the water) or not too close (70 or so feet away). I've NEVER just stumbled upon one. the key is to just use common sense and don't feed them.

So if you are on a dock, just simply move to a higher area and keep an eye on where the alligator is. I've only see one come partly out of the water (small, young one) toward a group of birds on a boat ramp but he retreated all in one motion.

You'll see warning signs near water areas, just as a warning. I've known people who have lived here for years and have never seen one. I actually think it is worth trying to see one in the wild, they are THAT beautiful in the wild.

We did just buy a paddle boat to use at the Crowfield Plantation lake but I'm feeling nervous, as I've heard there are LOTS in there even though they've weeded them out to about 100. I've only seen one in there.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 AM

3,383 posts, read 7,110,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
I do walk my dogs daily, but mostly just around the neighborhood. I'll avoid the water areas...
We walk ours alot too, its really not a big deal.

People seem to think gators just roam the streets like pigeons in new york.

When I was a kid, I lived in a huge development, with an intricate canal system. Full of gators. I have gone fishing, thrown rocks, sticks, soccer balls, whatever a stupid kid can find at gators. Worst they will do is open their mouth an hiss.

Never once lunged, moved, hell barely jumped in the water quickly to swim away.

For the most part they are big floating lazy logs. Crocodiles are a bit more aggressive but usually smaller, not even sure if they have them up here.

They are pretty tame animals overall... I'd be more worried about a pitbull then a gator.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,776,583 times
Surveying just isn't surveying until you've found yourself doing a topographic survey 3 miles into the woods shooting the bottom of a creek and come across a 12 footer.

That'll wake you .. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area