U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,062,370 times

Advertisements

That only works with the king snake vs the coral snake....

Rattle Snakes, Copper heads, Cotton Mouths are all different colors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,367,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
That only works with the king snake vs the coral snake....

Rattle Snakes, Copper heads, Cotton Mouths are all different colors...
Those 3 are easy and don't require special sayings... for me anyway

Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM

870 posts, read 1,425,560 times
Bulldogrsp61...I am speechless (and that doesn't happen much). NINE copperheads? OMG! And you pulled 2 out? OMG! tell me you were actually copperhead hunting and didn't just come across them by chance? Ok, this may be silly, but does it help to have your house on stilts? Do they get into garages? I think I need a therapist...

Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,697,080 times
I have met more "snakes" in the halls of the SC Capital Building then anywhere else in SC.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Yea, I guess they are not as easy to wrangle up and hog tie, huh? Definitely wouldn't suggest that hatchet w/them

Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,775,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
Bulldogrsp61...I am speechless (and that doesn't happen much). NINE copperheads? OMG! And you pulled 2 out? OMG! tell me you were actually copperhead hunting and didn't just come across them by chance? Ok, this may be silly, but does it help to have your house on stilts? Do they get into garages? I think I need a therapist...
I think it was just a fluke happening .. like I said there must have been a nest in the woods behind my house or something.

And even if your house is on stilts .. there is still a means for YOU to get into it and thus a snake can find a way.

I'm happy to report I've never had a snake in my house ... cold blooded or political.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Ha ha ha..and THAT is a good thing

Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 PM

68 posts, read 145,884 times
Default Gator and Puppy!

Remember a story about 2 years ago, believe it was in West Ashley of a lab puppy swimming in an area pond and a gator decided to snatch it....but the story has a happy ending! The owner's boyfriend jumped in (true love) and rescued the dog...so anyway as previous poster said 'Watch the dog around lagoons, ponds, etc." We've seen a couple at the county parks around the area.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:23 PM

180 posts, read 381,752 times
I would be more worried about snakes than aligators. I have seen about 50 in Donley wildlife management area in Jacksonboro. Quite inpressive in their habitat. You cant exactly miss a gator. Snakes are anpther story.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 PM

15 posts, read 32,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
There are more cool things around here that outnumber the bad things. We have the cute little green lizards, dolphins are everywhere, pelicans, all the birds that have flown south for the winter, plus our regular birds, and some cool looking spiders.
I have been curious about the dolphins since my last visit. We were at a secluded beach off of one of the inlets and there were dolphins EVERYWHERE, it was amazing to see. My friend, who is a low-country native, said they were feeding. I was wading out a few feet and one surfaced not more than 4 feet in front of me; scared the bejesus out of me. It got me to thinking...if I weren't such a midwestern chicken afraid of ocean creatures and had tried to approach it is there a risk of "attack"? What if I had been so bold (no way Jose - the current alone would have prohibited that) to swim out to where they were largely gathered?

I'm just curious and reading this thread brought the curiosity back to the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area