U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:46 AM

10 posts, read 8,446 times
We used to drop our boat in at the dock behind the bowling alley in Summerville (can not remember the name of it) but we saw alligators all the time in the Ashley river. Scared me thinking what would I do if the boat sunk lol..but if you leave them alone, they won't bother you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 01:39 PM

1,042 posts, read 726,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdcollette View Post
We used to drop our boat in at the dock behind the bowling alley in Summerville (can not remember the name of it) but we saw alligators all the time in the Ashley river. Scared me thinking what would I do if the boat sunk lol..but if you leave them alone, they won't bother you.
The end of Ladson Rd? We saw a HUGE one there this past summer. The people on the dock were guestimating 12ft. To me, that is huge!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 8,660 times
Just got back from a trip to Charleston. Wife and I are thinking about relocating from CT. We were looking in Hamlin Plantation and saw no less than 5 alligators on different ponds. I have a friend who lives in Rivertowne and I've visited him several times over the past 5 years without seeing a single gator before.

Hasn't reduced our desire to move there, though the mere thought of snakes gives me the heebie jeebies and the bugs were pretty bad too. Do people spray their yards for mosquitoes like we do for tics up here?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,438,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhauck View Post
Just got back from a trip to Charleston. Wife and I are thinking about relocating from CT. We were looking in Hamlin Plantation and saw no less than 5 alligators on different ponds. I have a friend who lives in Rivertowne and I've visited him several times over the past 5 years without seeing a single gator before.

Hasn't reduced our desire to move there, though the mere thought of snakes gives me the heebie jeebies and the bugs were pretty bad too. Do people spray their yards for mosquitoes like we do for tics up here?
You visit and see alligators, and I have lived here for a year and have not seen one! I really have to get to Charleston National to see some alligators.

I have also not seen any snakes. I tend to visit the beach areas and not the wooded areas, so maybe that is why. I have been told about all the precautions to take when walking where there could be snakes and bought a laminated brochure type of thing showing all the snakes in the area.

As far as mosquitoes, I have had zero problems with them here and found there to be a lot less than up north. I was told though that my area might spray for them. I also read something recently that you can call the county to have them come by and spray for you.

There are definitely more things to have to look for, or be careful of here. Up north we didn't have any bad snakes. I would walk in the woods, through long grassy areas, and not give it a thought. There is no way I would do that here. The worst that would happen up north is to get a couple of ticks on me. We also didn't have any bad spiders up north. I mostly saw daddy longlegs. Down here there are black widows and other types of spiders, and the spiders are bigger here. There are roaches a/k/a palmetto bugs here also. I see a lot of them outside during the warm weather. They are harmless, but gross. I was proud of myself the other night when I almost stepped on one outside and didn't go running and screaming when I noticed it.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM

850 posts, read 683,116 times
When we were in Daniel Islad 2 weeks ago, we saw about 12 alligators within the weekend.
Are the snakes really that bad?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM

731 posts, read 578,583 times
OMG! This may sound stupid, but I didn't know there was alligators there!! I guess I'll change my plans about moving there & stick with Greenville, SC!!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM

4,281 posts, read 4,868,739 times
Alligators..they taste like chicken.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,269,393 times
How many variety attacks on people are there a year.

People worry too much about them.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM

161 posts, read 147,967 times
Saw this one way across the pond last weekend in Mt. Pleasant:

Yeah I know . . . I need a better camera.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 AM

5,081 posts, read 7,493,988 times
That alligator is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area