Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
That alligator is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here!
means he has rabies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
You do need to watch out for the ones that glow. They are especially dangerous.

That pond looks familiar, where did you take this pic?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM

313 posts, read 709,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMc View Post
Remember a story about 2 years ago, believe it was in West Ashley of a lab puppy swimming in an area pond and a gator decided to snatch it....but the story has a happy ending! The owner's boyfriend jumped in (true love) and rescued the dog...so anyway as previous poster said 'Watch the dog around lagoons, ponds, etc." We've seen a couple at the county parks around the area.
Actually, it was a big ole German Shepard and it was the grandfather that jumped in. The pond is right behind my house and they live a couple houses down from us.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:41 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,694 times
When I was a kid we lived in Miami for a year. My grandparents came from Los Angeles to visit for a couple of weeks and we went out somewhere and ended up seeing a "gator wrestling" show. It wasn't really wrestling so much as it was poking an angry lizard with a stick but to each his own. Before the "match" started, the brave gator wrestler wiped the sweat from his forehead proudly displaying the three fingers remaining on his left hand....

Fast forward to a few months ago when a buddy and I were out on the reservoir. We stumbled across a ginormous gator (had to be 10 feet minimum). My buddy hit the wrong way on the trolling motor and we got a little too close so the big nasty beast went from the shore to the water. The next time we saw him, he was 30 feet off and going the other way.

The moral of the story? Don't poke big angry lizards with sticks.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 PM

67 posts, read 104,431 times
Yikes, resurrecting this thread. I'm starting to re-think our move. Terrified of sharks. Saw an alligator in the yard of the very first house we toured during our visit last year. Do you not let your dog out in the backyard to take care of his business when it's raining? Do your kids not go outside to play?

Mosquitos are annoying but you can deal with them. Seriously, poisonous snakes and alligators are that rampant? I'm not kidding, I just read this thread and I'm about to make peace with my life here.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimom70.3 View Post
Yikes, resurrecting this thread. I'm starting to re-think our move. Terrified of sharks. Saw an alligator in the yard of the very first house we toured during our visit last year. Do you not let your dog out in the backyard to take care of his business when it's raining? Do your kids not go outside to play?

Mosquitos are annoying but you can deal with them. Seriously, poisonous snakes and alligators are that rampant? I'm not kidding, I just read this thread and I'm about to make peace with my life here.
When we get home we usually sit in the car for a couple of minutes scanning the yard for gaters. I then let my wife out first, choosing to sit in the car and watch her run for her life inside the house. Only when she has the door unlocked and wide open do I choose to exit the safety of the vehicle and run like the wind inside.

It's a jungle out there...

Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
Actually, it was a big ole German Shepard and it was the grandfather that jumped in. The pond is right behind my house and they live a couple houses down from us.
Gnu, there must be two similar stories. There was a guy in a West Ashley park who jumped on a gator to save his girlfriend's dog. He ended up wrapping his arms around the gator while the beast did a roll. Then they both got away from each other as fast as they could. The guy had to get stitches from the rough ride, got grief from the Fish and Wildlife Dept for harassing a gator but I think the dog was ok.
A friend of mine worked with the guy. Said he's pretty crazy anyway....

Trimom, What Cape said is true but that's because he's actually an armadillo. (notice he hasn't posted a picture) Gators love armadillos. Humans don't have as much to worry about. That said, I wouldn't let a dog swim in fresh water unless I was pretty sure it was gator-free and there's some waters I wouldn't swim in either.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:08 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
When we get home we usually sit in the car for a couple of minutes scanning the yard for gaters. I then let my wife out first, choosing to sit in the car and watch her run for her life inside the house. Only when she has the door unlocked and wide open do I choose to exit the safety of the vehicle and run like the wind inside.

OMG!!! LOL!!!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post

That was hilarious

Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
That was hilarious

My wife doesn't think so...but a guy can't be too cautious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area