U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:30 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,775,697 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the feel in here was on the I-526 extension.

In my opinion another (some might even say BETTER) way to get on and off the island is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,367,675 times
It would probably be a good thing when running from a hurricane. But I've never even been there, so what the heck do I know?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,062,370 times
It isn't an extension it is the completion of I-526, from the initial concept it always went over to the islands and looped back to the peninsula, right where the JI connector is now....

I say finish it already....

Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 AM

22,785 posts, read 12,182,899 times
Yeah what Tom said -- be done with it.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 PM

183 posts, read 303,790 times
Against it. One reason I love going to Johns Island, Seabrook, and the public beach at Kiawah is because of the unique feeling and to get away from the interstates. The completion of 526 would ruin that, just as much of the development threatening the islands now.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 PM

26,850 posts, read 5,749,057 times
I too say complete it ...please! To get to and from 526 from James Island is a mini-nightmare in the best of times. Of course no one wants folks to lose their homes in the process...but the longer they wait, the more homes there will be in the proposed areas.

Trying to get to 526 in event of evacuation of James/Johns Islands:

....oh boy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
It isn't an extension it is the completion of I-526, from the initial concept it always went over to the islands and looped back to the peninsula, right where the JI connector is now....

I say finish it already....

Old 02-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
Against it. One reason I love going to Johns Island, Seabrook, and the public beach at Kiawah is because of the unique feeling and to get away from the interstates. The completion of 526 would ruin that, just as much of the development threatening the islands now.
It's all well and good until you island inhabitants NEED to get off the island.

Then it's complaints galore about how bad traffic is and 'why was I sitting in a parking lot when I'm supposed to be evacuating,' and complaints about how long it takes to get to or from work/home if you are on the island.

The completion of 526 will be isolated to a specific corridor of right-of-way and wouldn't 'ruin' the entire island or your feelings therein and would make traffic exponentially better.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 PM

10,644 posts, read 9,009,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I too say complete it ...please! To get to and from 526 from James Island is a mini-nightmare in the best of times. Of course no one wants folks to lose their homes in the process...but the longer they wait, the more homes there will be in the proposed areas.

Trying to get to 526 in event of evacuation of James/Johns Islands:

....oh boy....
Actually, those people who do own real estate in the proposed path are in a no win situation right now. They can't sell their real estate because of the possible highway going to be an issue for any future homeowners. Conversely, it's a proposed plan and not definite so they can't even sell out to the state/county. Really, they're stuck unless and until a definitive decision is made once and for all.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Actually, those people who do own real estate in the proposed path are in a no win situation right now. They can't sell their real estate because of the possible highway going to be an issue for any future homeowners. Conversely, it's a proposed plan and not definite so they can't even sell out to the state/county. Really, they're stuck unless and until a definitive decision is made once and for all.
I wonder who's fault it is that there is no definitive plan yet?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM

167 posts, read 269,454 times
Anything that can get more traffic moving on James Island I am in favor of. One road in/one road out kind of sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area