Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 02:19 PM

314 posts, read 436,804 times

Advertisements

My dad used to be a plumber/pipefitter for roughly 45 years before his sudden death last year. In the 80's when I was a teenager, I used to help my dad make belt buckles out of stainless steel pipe and he would sell them to help make ends meet during tough times.

After my dad died, I sat back and watched some of my siblings fight over stuff and my older brother, who was in charge, asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted one of the buckles I helped dad make and that was it. I did not want anything else. To me, that would give me more pleasure then anything in his house. Funny, when my grandpa died all I asked for was the ragged deer antlers that hung outside over the lean-to on his shed. To me, that was grandpa.

So, there was only one buckle left and my older brother actually made that one with my dad so it was only fitting (no pun intended, LOL) that he keep it.

Now I am looking to find scrap stainless steel pipe of different size diameter about 6"-12" in length. Stainless steel round stock and rods would be needed to.

Anyone out there that can help me to make a stainless steel buckle? I would pay someone that would help me actually make one, I am not asking for something free as I know your time and material is not free. I did see some online and I could just buy them, but this may sound silly to some but I would feel as if my dad were right there with me as I made the buckle like he showed me then buying one. Although I guess I would purchase one as a last resort.

I thought about going to a scrap yard but I do not know if they would sell small pieces of SS pipe.

Thanks for your time,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,265,128 times
you can buy pipe nipples in that length at any plumbing supply store along with the other pieces you need to make the buckle...

Old 02-11-2012, 08:46 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,623,279 times
I have a frend that is a custom metal worker that is VERY good.

Send me a "PM"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area