Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 PM

49 posts, read 105,261 times

Advertisements

I am from the South, born and raised.

However, I have never lived in South Carolina. My wife did her basic at Parris Island for the Marine Corps. Yet, we've never been to the area.

We have two younger children and a dog. Ideally we would like a safe area with community oriented people, if that still exist. I want to try to avoid all the high school and college kids. Our rental budget is $1,700 - $2,100 a month.

I really enjoyed Sullivan's Island, beautiful place. The area kind of reminds me of parts of Louisiana. My wife and I love to fish and shoot at the range. We're very right wing conservative minded individuals.

Initially we would like to rent and eventually buy. My work location is irrelevant as long as it's under a twenty-five minute commute to Charleston.

All help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Sulivan's Island is expensive...

MtP would work though....

Old 02-15-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Sulivan's Island is expensive...

MtP would work though....

Yes, we're finding that to be true! Wow!

Is there any truth to the crime statistics on Trulia about Mt. Pleasant? Showing lots of auto-theft and burglaries in the area for 2010 and 2011. I compared to Texas and some other places and it just seemed really high. Although, those statistics might be incorrect.
Attached Thumbnails
Good Areas? Looking at Mt. Pleasant and James Island-crime-mtp.png  

Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Yes it is true, but don't talk about it too much you may get band like someone else who will go unnamed.....

Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Yes it is true, but don't talk about it too much you may get band like someone else who will go unnamed.....
Get banned? Why would I get banned?

Sounds like the mob or something. Guess Mt. Pleasant really is bad from the sound of things?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishacadiana82 View Post
Get banned? Why would I get banned?

Sounds like the mob or something. Guess Mt. Pleasant really is bad from the sound of things?
OTC is kidding. There was a prior poster that hated Mt. P and made it sound like Harlem or something.

I used to get the crime reports emailed to me (they haven't come in a while since they changed their website), and I noticed it was mostly cars being broken into. Just like anywhere in the world, don't leave anything valuable in plain sight in your car.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
Mt.P. is a target area, generally because of higher priced homes, higher priced autos, etc. It doesn't take much for someone looking to commit property crimes and theft in a down economy to find out that Mt. P or some more affluent section of the low country is a target rich environment. Mt. Pleasant is a great, family friendly section of the lowcountry. I wouldn't classify it as crime-ridden or dangerous in my personal opinion, but I always caution people to tour the areas for themselves to determine if they're a fit.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
OTC is kidding. There was a prior poster that hated Mt. P and made it sound like Harlem or something.

I used to get the crime reports emailed to me (they haven't come in a while since they changed their website), and I noticed it was mostly cars being broken into. Just like anywhere in the world, don't leave anything valuable in plain sight in your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Mt.P. is a target area, generally because of higher priced homes, higher priced autos, etc. It doesn't take much for someone looking to commit property crimes and theft in a down economy to find out that Mt. P or some more affluent section of the low country is a target rich environment. Mt. Pleasant is a great, family friendly section of the lowcountry. I wouldn't classify it as crime-ridden or dangerous in my personal opinion, but I always caution people to tour the areas for themselves to determine if they're a fit.
Something to note. Most of the auto-related crimes were because so many people were leaving their cars unlocked. I remember the cops going to the neighborhood HOAs and start an informational drive that people shouldn't leave their cars unlocked and their garage doors open (they would do this even when not home). There's very low crime in Mt Pleasant but no place is perfect and a little common sense goes a long way.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I know every city has its crime but some do better than others. I think we're going to look at Johns Island. I grew up in Cajun country fishin' the bayous. I feel like country people are a little more community oriented for the most part. We also like our guns and space.

I like structure and organization but not too keen on the suburbs. It seems like they try to organize too much and it feels like you're living on a movie set or something. Just sayin'

Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM

183 posts, read 356,612 times
John's Island is great, but the area is growing rapidly and if you stay there for a long time you will probably have less space as time goes on. But it's a great area if you like to fish, boat, kayak, etc. The only problem from what you've expressed is that it's a long drive to the best gun shop/range in the Charleston area, ATP in Summerville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area