U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 PM

780 posts, read 1,339,660 times

Advertisements

Charleston Youth Lacrosse is based out of Summerville. They operate on a shoe string budget. They were looking for a field to call home and when inquiring about Gahagan, the door was slammed in their face since the city wanted a substantial fee for using the field. Too bad since many of the kids who play live in Summerville. Even the mayor won't do anything for the league to get the team into Gahagan.

Fortunately for the team North Charleston stepped in and allowed them to use Danny Jones Oark for a very small fee. The down side is that it is quite a drive to get there from Summerville.

I simply wish the city would give these kids a place to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,067,633 times
And who is to pay for it?

Gahagan fields come at a premium, so my tax money should pay for the field so your kid can play Lacrosse?

Come on now, if it made money in concessions or what not may be there could be something done...

Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
And who is to pay for it?

Gahagan fields come at a premium, so my tax money should pay for the field so your kid can play Lacrosse?

Come on now, if it made money in concessions or what not may be there could be something done...
Who pays for it now? Our tax money.

When I was young parks were established for recreation in order to give kids an opportunity to be engaged in productive activity. Unfortunately the city of Summerville has not grasped this concept, yet tends to complain about kids on skateboards etc.

The only expense incurred for the filed is the lights. The club is self-insured and helps maintain the field.

Personally, I have always been of the opinion that if my tax money helps kids remain active in a positive environment, I am all for it. It is much better that funding some of the crap my tax money funds now.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM

All towns complain about kids on skateboards, look a few years back at the City of Charleston cop that took that kid off of his board physically at the water front park....

Grounds keeping isn't cheap, that grass doesn't just grow there on it's own....

If you want your kid involved in sports pay for it yourself, don't ask me to foot the bill...

Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM

3,140 posts, read 4,955,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
the city wanted a substantial fee for using the field

Was this their "normal" fee?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM

1,765 posts, read 3,841,267 times
Magnaasty,
Unfortunately, we live in a child hating society.
It's true. I personally was shocked by the child haters out there
when I was raising my kids.
I lived in a small town, (I mean small), whose city counsel decided they were going to build an iceskating rink for the hockey teams in the area.
They built the rink, charged rent for hockey teams, and charged the neighborhood kids 10.00 to skate there.
Well, the council President decided he would build another one.
OMG! Another ice skating rink? In this postage sized small town?
Yeap! He got his way and they spent millions more on a second iceskating rink for more hockey money.
Well, don't you know the bigger town over built a real big one too!
No one came to my towns ice skating RINKS anymore.
Guess who ended up paying for the rinks?
I did. All the little towns residents, and we are talking only thousands of people.
Our town never let the kids skate there for even 5.00 on a Friday night.
So, I paid for 2 stupid iceskating rinks and the kids on my little block of homes couldnt skate there.
I moved from that crappy little corrupt place, but still, if the residents
are footing the bill, their kids should take advantage of whatever it is
YOU are paying for.
If you pay, you have a say.
That's the way it works people.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
All towns complain about kids on skateboards, look a few years back at the City of Charleston cop that took that kid off of his board physically at the water front park....

Grounds keeping isn't cheap, that grass doesn't just grow there on it's own....

If you want your kid involved in sports pay for it yourself, don't ask me to foot the bill...

Trust me, I do pay for all of my kids participation. I even have assisted in paying for kids who cannot afford to participate, so this is never an issue. This includes volunteerism.

Did you miss the part that stated that the lights were the only issue? Meaning this includes helping with groundskeeping...which we are not required (but volunteer) to do in N. Charleston.

So if the citizens are complaining something should be done correct? Unfortunately there are far too many complainers and far too few complainers who offer solutions. I had this same conversation with a citizen whose myopic vision prevented him from looking at things objectively. He, like many, did not understand how important it is for us as a society to put money into positive activities pro-actively.

Last edited by magnasty; 02-16-2012 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Was this their "normal" fee?
Honestly, I have no basis for comparison. I realize "substantial" is all relative, but when you have a limited budget any financial outlay can be tough.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
Honestly, I have no basis for comparison. I realize "substantial" is all relative, but when you have a limited budget any financial outlay can be tough.
I am sure that they were not charging the Lacrosse team any more than anyone else who wanted to use the field, your liberal idea of the society has to pay for your kids wants is one of the major down falls of this country, it is how we ended up with Barack Obama and 15 Trillion in federal debt....

Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,369,880 times
Quote:
I am sure that they were not charging the Lacrosse team any more than anyone else who wanted to use the field, your liberal idea of the society has to pay for your kids wants is one of the major down falls of this country, it is how we ended up with Barack Obama and 15 Trillion in federal debt....
Amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area