U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 PM

7 posts, read 28,549 times

Advertisements

I have an option to transfer to N.Charleston with my job but my wife and kids (esp. My teenager) are not always open to change. We currently live in Connecticut and my wife and I are tired of the winters and living in the tax-you-to-death state.

We also are looking for a fresh start so when this opportunity came up, it is an easy decision to at least check it out with the family. My commute will be to approx. Exit 14 off of I-526. So in looking for an average commute time (30 minutes) with traffic and good school systems for my 3 kids (ages 15, 10 and 5) where would be a good place to look?

We are townhouse/condo lovers and would be looking for a 3 bedroom condo/townhouse in a safe neighborhood in a rural area in the range up to 175k. Or there-abouts. We are more country lovers rather than city-dwellers.

Also, to make this as interesting as possible for the kids in making it a vacation, what would you recommend that we do, visit or tour while we are there? We will be going sometime in April.

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,793,868 times
The beaches are a hit with my kids. They are into fishing, crabbing and sand so that was a huge draw for us. We moved out of the north east without regret....7.5 years ago. We lived in the Charlotte area until this past July. We miss family but our quality of life seems so much better here. My kids are now 14, 10 and 8. Good luck with it all!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM

1,924 posts, read 3,017,574 times
I moved here from MA a year ago and it is so much better! Tell your wife she will never have to open a door if a man is around. You could take the kids to the beach, on a harbor cruise, carriage ride, Patriot's Point, and just walk around downtown. There is so much more to do around here than in the northeast.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,088,120 times
Fishing Charter, just ask Captain Rick...

Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 PM

3,383 posts, read 4,332,103 times
The 175k price point, 30 minute commute, top schools, rural and condo/townhouse are not a standard combo in the charleston area. Mt Pleasant would be the top schools but that price point is going to be tight.

Summerville could give you good schools & the other attributes but commuting from closer to charleston to outer summerville for the rural aspect will give you a brutal commute.

Your best bet might be West Ashley in the Glenn McConnell/Bees Ferry area. It will be compromising on all fronts but not majorly so. That also gives you a decent variety of nicer/newer townhomes.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,779,836 times
Your best bet would be the Dorchester District 2 school district in North Charleston or Summerville..

Meets your price point, lots of new homes being built as well as nicer established communities, and it is the best school district in the state.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,088,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Your best bet would be the Dorchester District 2 school district in North Charleston or Summerville..

Meets your price point, lots of new homes being built as well as nicer established communities, and it is the best school district in the state.
Not true....

The best overall school district in this area yes, but not in the state, that would be Lexington County...

Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 AM

212 posts, read 428,330 times
Here are the links to the greatschools.org ratings of Dorchester 2 school district (Summerville) and mt. pleasant school district. You can see for yourself. There are also great community feedback ratings/comments as well. Its a great comparison when trying to decide which district is the better choice for your family.

Dorchester 2 School District

Dorchester 02 School District in Summerville, SC | GreatSchools

Mount Pleasant School District

http://www.greatschools.org/search/s...ls=h&st=public

Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,793,868 times
I live in Goose Creek and couldn't be more happy with my childrens' schools. Berkeley County is hit or miss (maybe even GC is hit or miss) but we found a nice fit.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,779,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Not true....

The best overall school district in this area yes, but not in the state, that would be Lexington County...
I meant ONE OF .. I would go back and edit it if I could.

To anyone reading .. my post above quoted by OTC should read "... Meets your price point, lots of new homes being built as well as nicer established communities, and it is ONE OF the best school districts in the state."

My apologies .. it was like 530am when I posted it and I was only starting my first coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area