Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
If I remember correctly for the first two years of the president's administration he had a bullet proof majority in both houses and still didn't do anything that was helpful, only more job killing legislation more bailouts and so on, now he kills the pipeline authorization and stifles drilling in our waters, all this does is drive up the price even more....
I'm not necessarily saying I'm an Obama supporter .. but I know more than well that he isn't the sole reason gas is high.

The current energy policy (not Obama's) continues to import more and more oil when the U.S. currently has the cheapest natural gas reserves. But lobbyists for imported oil lining the wallets of congressmen cannot be thwarted on their mission to continue milking this cash cow.

As for Canada's oil sands .. oil sands are only even a REMOTE possibility as long as the price of a barrel of oil REMAINS high because it costs so much to process oil from that source. Until the system is improved, extracting oil from oils sands is way too far from efficient (basically, as it sits, it takes more energy to extract oil from oil sands than it produces).

Off shore drilling would help, but that will require more stringent codes and enforcement on companies like BP who get away with lax standards that allow for things like the Deepwater Horizon oil spill .. environmentalists are all over that like naked women hugging a tree (yeah .. Angel Oak all over). And let's not get into the fact that so many talk about not wanting to have their ocean view spoiled by the site of a rig ... even though the rigs are so far out you are not going to see them.

Domestic drilling is already up. Over 6,000 wells were completed in the fourth quarter of 2011. That's up around 10% from the year before. And there is still plenty more to be drilled. Hell .. as it stands the U.S. is EXPORTING more gasoline than it imports. Explain THAT.

With it being easier to drill now than it has been in the past, you tell me why increased domestic drilling hasn't lowered the price of gas? Because Obama put the cabash on the Canadian pipeline? I don't think so.

Instead of wagging fingers at Obama and pinning our future hopes on the coattails of the likes of Romney or Santorum, people should be sending letters to their congressmen with a stiff warning... Fix it or get out.

(And for the record, Congress has the power to overturn a presidential veto ... if they want to)

I come from the oilfields .. I know all too well about how the price of a barrel of oil effects the price of gas and employment of hardworking derrick hands.

Last edited by bulldogrsp61; 02-29-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
When gas prices broke $3 under Bush, the lamestream media reported on it FOUR TIMES more than today under Obama.

Unrest in the Mid-East has NOTHING to do with the price of gas at the pump. The fact is, the price of gas is based on the value of the dollar and the value of our dollar is in serious decline because of the outrageous debt this president has burdened our country with.

Obama has not presented a budget that has been passed IN HIS ENTIRE PRESIDENCY!

Here on Long Island, there are now several gas stations charging over $5 per gallon. Now that is simply local price gouging and anyone who pulls into those stations is an idiot.

Drill here, drill now! Approve the Keystone pipeline! Stop "doubling down" on failed green energy projects with taxpayer money!

Reduce the Federal tax on gasoline!

Why did Obama give $2Billion to Brazil for George Soros to be able to invest in oil exploration down there? How many rigs moved out of the Gulf after the BP spill to be used by other "oil friendly" countries?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,669 times
I just cant understand the logic in what he does,,,,,and just think,,,,people voted for him....................................

Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Until the money and banksters is removed from politics NOTHING will work as it should. Not a one of them is working for you or I.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,701 times
Here is an article I just came across. It interestingly enough does not list the President as one of the reasons gas will potentially reach $5.00/Gallon this year. I know that those who disagree with anything the current administration does will dismiss it as something from the "lamestream" media, but I thought I would share it anyway.

Eight Reasons Gas Will Hit $5 This Year - Yahoo! Finance

Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
I'm not necessarily saying I'm an Obama supporter .. but I know more than well that he isn't the sole reason gas is high.

The current energy policy (not Obama's) continues to import more and more oil when the U.S. currently has the cheapest natural gas reserves. But lobbyists for imported oil lining the wallets of congressmen cannot be thwarted on their mission to continue milking this cash cow. Isn't this what Nancy Pelosy said she was going to fix during the first year of their total control of the congress, "drain the swamp" as she said.

As for Canada's oil sands .. oil sands are only even a REMOTE possibility as long as the price of a barrel of oil REMAINS high because it costs so much to process oil from that source. Until the system is improved, extracting oil from oils sands is way too far from efficient (basically, as it sits, it takes more energy to extract oil from oil sands than it produces). Canadian Oil sands are about $75.00 a barrel to get out of the ground and the myth about it taking more energy is false. http://www.cdnoilsands.com/Theme/COS...001_a3an1u.pdf

Off shore drilling would help, but that will require more stringent codes and enforcement on companies like BP who get away with lax standards that allow for things like the Deepwater Horizon oil spill .. environmentalists are all over that like naked women hugging a tree (yeah .. Angel Oak all over). And let's not get into the fact that so many talk about not wanting to have their ocean view spoiled by the site of a rig ... even though the rigs are so far out you are not going to see them. Deep water horizon was an accident that the then standards were suppose to have covered, the oil shutoff valve on the sea floor failed that is why it kept going and going.

Domestic drilling is already up. Over 6,000 wells were completed in the fourth quarter of 2011. That's up around 10% from the year before. And there is still plenty more to be drilled. Hell .. as it stands the U.S. is EXPORTING more gasoline than it imports. Explain THAT. Up 10% while demand went up 25%, the president's moratorium on drilling is keeping that low...

With it being easier to drill now than it has been in the past, you tell me why increased domestic drilling hasn't lowered the price of gas? Because Obama put the cabash on the Canadian pipeline? I don't think so. He is still limiting domestic drilling, it isn't easier, it is harder, Should the U.S. end restrictions on domestic oil drilling? No: This will discourage green energy - Other Bee News - The Sacramento Bee

Instead of wagging fingers at Obama and pinning our future hopes on the coattails of the likes of Romney or Santorum, people should be sending letters to their congressmen with a stiff warning... Fix it or get out. I am all for changing out the current batch of politicians for they are like diapers...

(And for the record, Congress has the power to overturn a presidential veto ... if they want to) Not when over half of the congress agrees with him....

I come from the oilfields .. I know all too well about how the price of a barrel of oil effects the price of gas and employment of hardworking derrick hands.
see above

Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post

The current energy policy (not Obama's) continues to import more and more oil when the U.S. currently has the cheapest natural gas reserves. But lobbyists for imported oil lining the wallets of congressmen cannot be thwarted on their mission to continue milking this cash cow. Isn't this what Nancy Pelosy said she was going to fix during the first year of their total control of the congress, "drain the swamp" as she said.

As for Canada's oil sands .. oil sands are only even a REMOTE possibility as long as the price of a barrel of oil REMAINS high because it costs so much to process oil from that source. Until the system is improved, extracting oil from oils sands is way too far from efficient (basically, as it sits, it takes more energy to extract oil from oil sands than it produces). Canadian Oil sands are about $75.00 a barrel to get out of the ground and the myth about it taking more energy is false. http://www.cdnoilsands.com/Theme/COS...001_a3an1u.pdf
Deep water horizon was an accident that the then standards were suppose to have covered, the oil shutoff valve on the sea floor failed that is why it kept going and going.
Up 10% while demand went up 25%, the president's moratorium on drilling is keeping that low...
He is still limiting domestic drilling, it isn't easier, it is harder, Should the U.S. end restrictions on domestic oil drilling? No: This will discourage green energy - Other Bee News - The Sacramento Bee

Not when over half of the congress agrees with him....

It's not a myth .. even at $75 a barrel that isn't significant enough to make it worthwhile for the long term and even right now it is only CLOSE to being efficient enough ONLY AS LONG AS THE CURRENT PRICE REMAINS HIGH .. (currently floating just over $100/barrel and forecast to go UP).

By the way .. it costs around $10 to $15 (depending on your source and the difficulty to reach the well) a barrel to produce a barrel of crude oil currently in the U.S. Deepwater wells run around $30 to $50 per barrel.

It is hands down WAY less efficient to produce a barrel of oil from oil sands than from 'conventional' drilling. Compared to conventional oil, all unconventional oil supply options have significantly lower energy efficiency ratings. http://fossil.energy.gov/programs/re...Fact_Sheet.pdf

In the future, they will probably improve the process and make it more efficient .. that is a ways off and as that efficiency improves (hopefully) the price of a barrel of oil is likely to go down (hopefully) too with less demand (hopefully).

Do me a favor .. don't quote an oil sands company trying to move their product and sell stock.

I know Deepwater Horizon was an accident .. the reason it passed 'standards' is because they were lax and not enforced as strictly as they should have, or could have been. According to the official report, '... a series of cost-cutting decisions and the lack of a system to ensure well safety were to blame ...' for the disaster.

Again .. explain to me why the price of gasoline is up DESPITE more exports than ever? Oh wait .. the president said so in a double super secret Oval Office meeting. If the supply of gasoline is so high that we are exporting so much then why is the domestic price still rising? It isn't because Obama gave the order.

The president's so called moratorium has more wells being drilled now than most people alive now can remember .. that MUST be it.

If it weren't easier to drill now there wouldn't be more rigs drilling now (see above graph). Oilfield companies don't INCREASE production because it gets harder to drill. Currently there are nearly 300 more rigs drilling in the U.S. than there were this time last year. The number of active drilling rigs TRIPPLED between 2002 and 2008. Despite a sharp decrease in active rigs in 2009 (around the time the economy started suffering) they have steadily and more actively INCREASED in number to the point that they are now just short of the all time high count set in 2008.

If congress agreed with him things would get done (even if it were not things we want to see happen) .. instead they knee cap every piece of legislation that comes to the floor over petty political bickering. If Congress agreed with Obama it would not have been necessary for him to VETO the pipeline.

Last edited by bulldogrsp61; 02-29-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
There's really no need for these lengthy arguments... bottom line is Obama Sucks and that's all you need to know

Old 02-29-2012, 01:49 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
There's really no need for these lengthy arguments... bottom line is Obama Sucks and that's all you need to know
Well said, Robynn, I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Well, some of us are of the opinion that he is a better option than any of the alternatives from a certain party that espouses limited government except when it comes to telling other people what they can and cannot do in their personal lives. That's all I need to know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area