U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 PM

212 posts, read 427,359 times

Advertisements

Questions for readers who have moved to the Charleston area from somewhere else (out of state, etc)...

1. Are you happy with your choice to move to the low country?

2. If there was anything you wish locals would have let you know before you moved, what would it be?

3. Do you have any advice to people who are debating on whether or not to move to Charleston?

4. What part of Charleston did you choose to move to and why (Are you happy with your choice or would you choose another area in Charleston instead)?

5. Is there anything about Charleston that you hate/dislike?

6. What do you love about Charleston?

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,060,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preparing2move View Post
Questions for readers who have moved to the Charleston area from somewhere else (out of state, etc)...

I didn't have much of a choice, Uncle Sam moved me here and I liked it so much that 20 years later I am still here...

2. If there was anything you wish locals would have let you know before you moved, what would it be?
I had to learn that the way things are done else where does not apply here, they don't it that way accept it and move on..

3. Do you have any advice to people who are debating on whether or not to move to Charleston?
Get used to doing things slower, life is less hectic here, things move at a slower pace...

4. What part of Charleston did you choose to move to and why (Are you happy with your choice or would you choose another area in Charleston instead)?
I love Summerville, but it is getting too crowded for me, so I am looking at moving a little further out of town...

I really dislike driving down town, I usually make the wife do it...

Everything else....

Thank you so much!!
See comments above...

Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 PM

506 posts, read 851,162 times

1. Are you happy with your choice to move to the low country? Yes.

2. If there was anything you wish locals would have let you know before you moved, what would it be? We knew before moving here that not everyone is in a giant hurry down here as it seems like they were in the Northeast. We find the slower pace refreshing and that is one of the reasons we moved here.

3. Do you have any advice to people who are debating on whether or not to move to Charleston? If you are coming from a place that has a faster pace and do not want to adjust to a slower pace, you probably don't want to move here.

4. What part of Charleston did you choose to move to and why (Are you happy with your choice or would you choose another area in Charleston instead)? We are in the part of North Charleston that is in Dorchester County. We are 10 miles from Summerville, 15 miles from downtown Charleston, about 25 miles from Folly Beach and within 5 miles of several supermakets, two Walmarts, two Lowe's, one Home Depot, a good sized shopping mall and several other shopping options. We are very happy here but if we had an unlimited budget we would probably live closer to the ocean. It is not just the real estate itself that costs more, the insurance can get pricey too.

5. Is there anything about Charleston that you hate/dislike? No.

6. What do you love about Charleston? The history, restaurants, the ocean and most of the people.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,904,464 times
. Are you happy with your choice to move to the low country?
Yes..very happy. It's always a daunting task coming from another area and hoping you will like it. Also visiting a place is much different than living in a place.

I know people have their own view on this but my commute to work every day is horrendous. I go up 526 from West Ashley to Mt Pleasant and if the ride there is tolerable.. the ride home is horrible. Some days it takes me an hour each way.

Definitely have a job secured before you come here. Don't think just because you are a professional, have a trade or think you'll have no problem.. you will be wrong. Jobs are not easy to come by here.

When we first got here we rented a house in Summerville and while it was nice and we likes Summerville, we knew when we bought we wanted to closer to the downtown area of Charleston and also the beach. We finally bought in West Ashley (off of Bee's Ferry Rd) and I don't regret it one bit. It will be 2 years this August and I love where we live.

I will be honest and say the humidity in the summer is brutal. I don't go out in the heat of the day if I can help it. I knew about it before I came here, but I will take it compared to the snow and ice in winters in New England. It's a trade off, but I don't regret coming here because of it. I don't like the Palmettos and huge spiders they have here, but again.. it's a trade off.

I love the low country.. the marshland, the draping Spanish moss and live Oak trees. The beautiful flowers in the spring, the coastline, the food, the sky is just beautiful here full of all colors and cloud patterns. I love the downtown area with his beautiful architecture and historical buildings, the waterfront and all the different varieties of birds here. Lastly.. I love the people..they are people from all over but they are, for the most part, hospitable, kind and just good human beings. I have found my paradise.. here to stay..

Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 PM

1,923 posts, read 3,009,674 times

Yes. I was tired of cold weather, icy roads, snow, high heating bills, driving defensively, and rude people. It is the complete opposite here. It's nice. I also like how people seem to value life more than work here.

Flooding!!! I had no idea about the flooding downtown! My car is low to the ground and there is no way I can drive through it. It is amazing to see. I have only seen flooding like that on TV. I think it only floods bad when it rains heavily at high tide.

It is a lot less stressful here, and people are super nice everywhere you go. The weather is really great from September through May. It is very humid June, July, and August, but there is air conditioning and the beach! It is a more laid back life here, which is quite enjoyable. I used to be completely stressed at my job every day before moving here. I do the same job now, and there is just as much work, but people seem to work with the deadlines better, which makes work less stressful. I would say just move here. If you don't like it, you can always move somewhere else.

I was looking at Mount Pleasant, James Island, and West Ashley. I chose Mount Pleasant because the townhouse I live in has a fenced in back yard with a privacy fence. I thought that would be better for my dog instead of a regular apartment complex. If I didn't get this townhouse, I would have probably moved to James Island. I am very happy here. I love having 7 regular grocery stores, Wholefoods, Trader Joe's, Town Centre, 2 movie theaters, Target, Lowes, 2 Walmarts, tons of restaurants, 2 Sonics (love the cherry limeades), 5 ice cream places, and the beach all within 5 miles of where I live. I moved here from a small town of 5,000, and it took me a minimum of 40 minutes to get anywhere. Heck, I would have loved the big box stores!

Palmetto bugs and the thought of the bad snakes (I haven't seen any yet).

The people, the beach, the little green lizards, black widows (I am fascinated with them because the are really cool looking), dolphins everywhere, Shem Creek, the weather, walking around downtown at lunch, all the tourist attractions, the fact that there is always something going on, southern food, how the moon seems so much bigger here, it is sunny all the time, and all the county parks and waterfront parks.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:28 AM

22,754 posts, read 12,169,353 times
1. Are you happy with your choice to move to the low country? Yes.

2. If there was anything you wish locals would have let you know before you moved, what would it be? No Not really -- we had been living in the south for 11 years and it wasn't a huge adjustment

3. Do you have any advice to people who are debating on whether or not to move to Charleston? I wouldn't move anywhere without securing a job. If you are moving here without any real experience...rent first and get to know the area before making a financial commitment of a purchase of a house

4. What part of Charleston did you choose to move to and why (Are you happy with your choice or would you choose another area in Charleston instead)? My husband first got an apartment in Summerville, we thought we couldn't afford to live in MP, the schools weren't great on James Island, Daniels Island was too expensive, etc. The down market meant MP became affordable for us. After a month of living in Summerville my husband HATED the commute. We realized we would be living so much further out from the beach, downtown, etc. I love being 10 minutes from the beach (actually less but you have to account for set up time for the beach umbrella) and being close to downtown. 15 minutes I'm on King Street trying to stimulate the economy or enjoying one of the many fine restaurants downtown.

5. Is there anything about Charleston that you hate/dislike? Struggling for dislike comments but the shopping & the live theater scene are not comparable to a big city....

6. What do you love about Charleston? I love the ocean, the history the charm.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 AM

661 posts, read 1,202,114 times
1. Are you happy with your choice to move to the low country? Yes

I can't think of anything
3. Do you have any advice to people who are debating on whether or not to move to Charleston? There is so much diversity about the area and everything is truly close to get to. If you have children weigh in heavily on the schools, if not, determine your priorities and go for it.

4. What part of Charleston did you choose to move to and why (Are you happy with your choice or would you choose another area in Charleston instead)? I am in Summerville (in Wescott). I have a daughter and son in law who live in downtown Charleston and both my daughters graduated from C of C. I'm close enough to everything I enjoy and am living afford-ably. I'm very happy here.

5. Is there anything about Charleston that you hate/dislike? I'm not too fond of the two snakes I've met at my house, but they're not around anymore.

6. What do you love about Charleston? The beaches and dolphin, the history and beauty of downtown and the diversity of the people. Over the years I've become accustomed to the slower paced lifestyle (I'm originally from Connecticut) and generally nicer more friendly people. I hope I blend in well!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 AM

3,383 posts, read 7,104,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preparing2move View Post

Yep

As stated above have a job. I relocated because of my job, thought my wife woudl have no problem getting a job. She got one quick, but it wasn't exactly what she was looking for. She also travels to Monck's Corner for it.

Summerville, I love the quint small town feel, yes its no longer a small town, but I am over the "south/Central Florida feel" where everything was developed or redone in 20 years. Areas that seem too "sanitized" I like the feel of the area having character and not seeming new and fake. I see the appeal of the other stuff, but I have lived in it, and am over it.

That being said, I still love having access to all the amenities, within about 5-7 miles, have 2 Lowes, 1 Home depot, more then one Ace Hardware, 2 Walmarts, 1 Target, Best Buy, kohls/etc. a Regal Cinemas, some good local restaraunts, great parks, half dozen or more Grocery stores. No whole foods, but I am a Publix man.

I like that I have 3 main ways to and from work. One of which is a breeze. I have seen the "bridge people" run into an issue every now and then.

Also love the housing prices, taxes/insurance.

Weather is great, yes summers are oppressive, but in FL, its hot, then 2 weeks of nice weather, then hot. Here seems about half the year is perfect weather, 1/4 is oppressive, 1/4 cold, but not ice/snow cold, but 30-50.

Dislike, the low taxes show a little. Streets are a little rough(potholes), street signs are pretty horrendous, but once you get a little familiar its not bad. But that is part of being an old place as well.

Its great living in a city that has character, things are cheaper, I love the parks, seems like there are things to do, still have what I am used to, no snow, some swamps, some gators, palm trees(most useless tree ever) and beaches.

Thank you so much!!

hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:52 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,775,323 times

--- No. Leaving my job as Sports Editor at the paper back home sucked (yeah .. I got PAID to go watch and report sports events .. everything from middle school basketball to NFL football). But I didn't have any choice in the matter as the move was to get my wife back to her family and make her happier. I didn't like the move but I don't regret it.

--- Have a job lined up before you come. There are jobs to be had, but there are a lot of people competing for the same ones you are.

--- North Charleston because that was nearest to her family. I am content with where we are because we bought a house in our price range in a great neighborhood and our kids are in one of the best school districts in the state and probably the best one in the greater metro area. Of course I'd rather be independently wealthy living on Folly .. but that's for another thread .. lol.

--- I prefer wide open spaces and small town life with less humidity. The opposite of the greater Charleston Metro Area. But I suck it up and deal with it.

--- That my wife is happy, my family is healthy and doing well.

I make no bones about not being happy living here as I might be living back out West, but I take everything with a grain of salt for the greater good. In the end it will pay off ........

.... won't it?

Last edited by bulldogrsp61; 02-28-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM

543 posts, read 1,021,507 times
Love it here. It's paradise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area