U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 AM

7 posts, read 11,761 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Madison, WI this summer looking for a nice small town to live in the Charleston area. From research I've done I'm considering Summerville and Goose Creek because of their perceived better school systems. Although after reading posts on here I'm getting very worried from the comments on SC's public education systems. Where we live now my children attend a superior public school so this is concerning. My fiancé works for Boeing which is the reason we are moving. We are also a biracial couple/family, it is very prevelant and accepted in Madison but not sure how things are down south. Any advice about the area, culture or move would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know about the town of Ridgeville? I found a dream home there but not sure about the town. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 PM

1,762 posts, read 3,818,452 times
Christie,
The public school system in South Carolina lacks.
That's all I can say about it.
Education is paid for by the sales tax in this state.
The schools should be better than they are, even with the sales tax
to support them, but I have a feeling all the sales tax money
doesn't make it to the schools 100 percent of the time, if you know
what I mean.
Most people who are concerned about their children's education
enroll them in private schools in the south.
I am sure if you aren't happy with the schools after you move,
you will find a private school nearby that you can afford.
Being a biracial couple in the Charleston area will not cause
any concern for you at all. That is only my opinion, but I am sure it will
be like the state you are moving from.
Good luck with your hunt for a home.
I am sure you will love it in Charleston.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the info

Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 AM

10,642 posts, read 8,981,294 times
Research the individual schools. Schools in the South cannot be measured by district alone. In South Carolina, we have some of the best and the worst public schools in the nation, resulting in an overall poor rating of the entire educational system. However, like most places in the South, your own individual school can be utterly fantastic if you live in a good area, have great parental involvement, and have good teachers.

In the Charleston area, you will find those schools in Summerville and Mt Pleasant. Mt Pleasant has the very best schools in the Charleston area followed by schools in Summerville. And then, of course, we have Academic Magnet, which is one of the best schools (top ten) in the entire nation.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie8255 View Post
I am relocating from Madison, WI this summer looking for a nice small town to live in the Charleston area. From research I've done I'm considering Summerville and Goose Creek because of their perceived better school systems. Although after reading posts on here I'm getting very worried from the comments on SC's public education systems. Where we live now my children attend a superior public school so this is concerning. My fiancé works for Boeing which is the reason we are moving. We are also a biracial couple/family, it is very prevelant and accepted in Madison but not sure how things are down south. Any advice about the area, culture or move would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know about the town of Ridgeville? I found a dream home there but not sure about the town. Thanks
If schools are your concern I would seriously suggest Dorchester District 2.

It is the best school district in the area and one the best in the state. My family and I live in North Charleston and my sons attend Dorchester District 2 schools and we could not be more please.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Yes that's what I've been reading about the Dorchester 2 Districts so I've been looking out for that school district. How about the town of Moncks Corner, any info? Rentals and homes seem to be cheaper there.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:34 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie8255 View Post
Yes that's what I've been reading about the Dorchester 2 Districts so I've been looking out for that school district. How about the town of Moncks Corner, any info? Rentals and homes seem to be cheaper there.
I have a buddy that just bought a house up there. He seems happy with it, but doesn't have any kids so I can't give you a report on the schools.

Let me talk to him (he's coming over tomorrow night actually) and I'll get some specifics.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Great thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area