U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,181,107 times
I thought it was funny that they chose to talk to my kid. He's never even met this teacher before, and I'm sure he formed an immediate opinion based on what the kids around him were saying. It was fun to see him on TV though. I know you all want to stay up until 11 to see him on the rebroadcast, right??? LOL
Channel Two, 11pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,770,798 times
Being a one-time incident, I think suspension without pay would have been punishment enough. He didn't have sex with a student, he didn't give the kids drugs or alcohol, didn't physically abuse anyone, didn't come to school drunk or high, didn't steal money, etc. If it was proven that he regularly watched movies on his laptop at school or had shown students inappropriate material before, firing might be the right thing to do...but if this was the only time it has happened, no, I don't think he should be fired. Everyone makes mistakes and poor judgement calls now and then. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,770,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I thought it was funny that they chose to talk to my kid. He's never even met this teacher before, and I'm sure he formed an immediate opinion based on what the kids around him were saying. It was fun to see him on TV though. I know you all want to stay up until 11 to see him on the rebroadcast, right??? LOL
Channel Two, 11pm.
I'll watch for him!

Old 03-01-2012, 02:31 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,323,755 times
Ok, for all of you who have never had to sign an acceptable use policy for a work computer what he did was clearly a terminable offense, I have seen the policy for CCSD, it is very clear on this and EVERYONE who works for CCSD has to sign one....

Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 AM

1,074 posts, read 899,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Ok, for all of you who have never had to sign an acceptable use policy for a work computer what he did was clearly a terminable offense, I have seen the policy for CCSD, it is very clear on this and EVERYONE who works for CCSD has to sign one....
Just what CCSD needs ... fire a good teacher over a single case of bad judgment.

I'm quite certain that a strict adherence to that policy would have half the teachers in CCSD schools fired.

The acceptable use policy states "Do not swear or use vulgarities or other inappropriate language." Well what is considered bad for one is not necessarily bad for another. Many English words in everyday use are profane in other languages. Not to mention that some, let's say anal retentive, parents don't even want to have the word HECK used around their children.

Yeah .. stricter policy enforcement should warrant a lot of firings in the CCSD on that one point alone.

Then there's the point "Downloading and/or printing files and images containing content which is inappropriate for a K-12 setting is prohibited."

So that covers a LOT of content that should have a teacher fired. The policy doesn't say 'age appropriate' ... it says ".. inappropriate for a k-12 setting.." which basically says that any computer with an image or file that would be inappropriate for a kindergartner to look at is an offense that can warrant termination.

Common sense would say that showing a WWII history movie or a sex ed film to a senior in high school would be ok .. but not according to this policy.

But then .. who brought up common sense in Mr. Poston's case?

FYI ... source : http://www.ccsdedtech.com/employee.pdf

Last edited by bulldogrsp61; 03-01-2012 at 04:32 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 AM

261 posts, read 146,590 times
Actually it is a pretty big offense. We are thinking of it from an adult perspective. This was an incident in a school with children. Just because we don't find it offensive (which I do, Jackass is NOT watched in my home, even by my husband) doesn't mean another CHILD isn't going to find it shocking or offensive. I don't think it's okay to sit back and excuse the behavior because it is the norm for most teenagers. That child obviously was put into a very uncomfortable position. By a teacher's actions. It wasn't a miscommunication or misinterpretation, it was a bad judgement call. Sounds like he was trying to be the cool teacher.

As for the computer usage form, I had to sign that when I was a substitute and knew what it meant. It meant I could have been fired if I did something as foolish as searching the c-d forums when I subbed. I had to get administration permission to use the computer for my grad school work (during planning periods and study halls ONLY) when I was a substitute. As a teacher I have to screen videos very carefully, and make certain of their rating before I show them. That is just teaching 101.

I am sorry OP but I think your son deserved harsh punishment, and most likely the firing will stand.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 AM

16,668 posts, read 15,711,740 times
I don't think the teacher is the OP's son, I think her school age som was interviewed about the firing.

Dumb move on the teacher's part, likely violated 5 or 6 mandatory guidelines. Would have been fired or suspended in a lot of systems. Either that or made an administrator, but that's usually for teachers fooling around with a student or stealing.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 AM

Thanks North Beach, I see that now.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 AM

1,074 posts, read 899,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyskies1 View Post
Actually it is a pretty big offense. We are thinking of it from an adult perspective. This was an incident in a school with children. Just because we don't find it offensive (which I do, Jackass is NOT watched in my home, even by my husband) doesn't mean another CHILD isn't going to find it shocking or offensive. I don't think it's okay to sit back and excuse the behavior because it is the norm for most teenagers. That child obviously was put into a very uncomfortable position. By a teacher's actions. It wasn't a miscommunication or misinterpretation, it was a bad judgement call. Sounds like he was trying to be the cool teacher.

As for the computer usage form, I had to sign that when I was a substitute and knew what it meant. It meant I could have been fired if I did something as foolish as searching the c-d forums when I subbed. I had to get administration permission to use the computer for my grad school work (during planning periods and study halls ONLY) when I was a substitute. As a teacher I have to screen videos very carefully, and make certain of their rating before I show them. That is just teaching 101.

I am sorry OP but I think your son deserved harsh punishment, and most likely the firing will stand.
LOL .. read my above post and re-think your stance before you get fired.

Should Mr. Poston be disciplined? Sure. But fired?!? Come on now.

This is as much about 'acceptable' and 'normal' and the modern definitions therein as anything.

Why is it unacceptable for one student to show her ankle or even wear shorts or a skirt and it is ok for another female student to wear shorts? What happens when the first girl is offended because a TEACHER wears a skirt or even slacks that show her bare ankle? Or what if that teacher shows an image of a woman in a skirt?

If we're going to be strict let's be strict. But don't fain strict policy agreement only when it is convenient.

Again .. a lack of common sense says fire them all.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
LOL .. read my above post and re-think your stance before you get fired.

Should Mr. Poston be disciplined? Sure. But fired?!? Come on now.

This is as much about 'acceptable' and 'normal' and the modern definitions therein as anything.

Why is it unacceptable for one student to show her ankle or even wear shorts or a skirt and it is ok for another female student to wear shorts? What happens when the first girl is offended because a TEACHER wears a skirt or even slacks that show her bare ankle? Or what if that teacher shows an image of a woman in a skirt?

If we're going to be strict let's be strict. But don't fain strict policy agreement only when it is convenient.

Again .. a lack of common sense says fire them all.
A reprimand would be appropriate if it were indeed questionable material. However the movie Jackass is not questionable material, it is inappropriate.

In the school where I subbed you cannot show a movie unless you have first proved the educational value of the film, you have to have a learning objective for the children in watching the film. Then, if it is a film with any hint of a controversy to it you have to send home a permission slip for students to watch it. If the slip is not signed the kids don't watch the movie. Also, any movie rated R has to be approved by administration (they watch it) AND have a permission slip.

Teachers do not show movies for the fun of it.

In the school I am at (elementary) it has to be rated G. No exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area