Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,375 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading through the forums here to try and get a good idea of places to live. I may be moving to the area in the near future to begin work at MUSC. I am a young professional without a lot of money. I am trying to find a place to live that is affordable, a nice area with decent living conditions, and hopefully someplace out of the "hood." I've been perusing Craig's List and some other renting sites, as well as this forum, for ideas. Most of what I have been seeing has either been way out of my price range (I will be making a very small amount and will have a lot of graduate school loans to make payments on as well as my rent) or I have had difficulty telling the quality of the area.

I have spent the last four years in Detroit. I have had my fill of inner-city life and would like to try and avoid that if I can. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I end up back in the hoods, but I am hoping for some suggestions from you all about places to live or where to look.

I don't expect to be able to afford to pay more than 1,000 - 1,200 a month and most of what I found has been more than that... I would also like to try to stay close to MUSC or within a 15 minute drive. The type of housing doesn't matter so much to me ( apt / condo / rentable house ) as long as it is peaceful. Am I out of luck or are there some places I have not come across yet? What are the nicer areas and where should I stay away from (esp if I am looking around the MUSC campus...is that a decent area?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM

24 posts, read 36,795 times
Hey man,
I've been living in the "hood" for about 3 years and Charleston in general is very safe. Don't listen to people that assume they know the East side unless they own property and/or currently living in that area. To be honest, your best bet is to find something downtown. The closer to MUSC, the better.

Cheapest and best apartment living is Sgt. Jasper: Prices were about 700-800 for studio-1 bd/ Electricity and Water included. about a mile from MUSC

Anything below Calhoun your looking at 800-1000+ for 1 bedroom
Anything around Cannon St is priced a little bit lower 550-800 range for 1 Bd

*The more north you go from Cannon St, the cheaper rent will be.

*If you're scared of "diversity" anything above Spring St, isn't for you.

Just my 2cents

Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
You can find yourself a 1-2 bedroom apartment in Wagener Terrace which is just behind the citadel, and Hampton Park for well under $1000/month. It's a terrific spot, and certainly within biking/walking distance to MUSC (it's about 1.5 miles). Just keep looking and if you need help, I can likely refer you to a few landlords in that area.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 9,375 times
Thank you both for the info! I will start looking into those areas. Having been born and raised in and around Detroit, I'm not afraid of diversity Was just wondering if there were areas I shouldn't live in mainly.

Thanks again!

Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM

217 posts, read 573,322 times
Do you want to live downtown at all? Personally, living downtown does not appeal to me in any shape or form, regardless of crime, demographics, etc. It's just too congested. I was cooped up in a big city for 20 years, so now I appreciate my space. If you like the downtown feel, then I'm sure it'll work fine for you. If you're considering living off the peninsula, I'd suggest West Ashley or James Island. They're both close and have affordable apartment options without being too "hood." Even Mt Pleasant has options within your price range. It all depends on your preference of location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area