Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
It's the whole judicial system. Life is too easy in prison and these scum bags get out early for good behavior and just keep recommitting crimes because going back to prison isn't so bad. I say bring back the chain gangs and get serious with all these offenders and re-offenders. How many times have we heard about a horrible crime only to find out they had been in jail before but got out early because of overcrowding of prisons and they had good behavior? I'm sick of hearing about these low lifes that should never had gotten out in the first place.

You are right, recidivism is out of control but much of what we are seeing now is drugs, economy and downright desparation in some cases.

Here in the Charlotte area, they are cutting their leg monitors of and escaping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 03:43 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Many do carry. You draw the line at: YOU (meaning an individual) will not be a victim. You can not control the actions of others, only yourself. Knowing that, one has a choice to make. And YES, everyone that can legally do so can carry a firearm.
I disagree.. I say "SOME" young people carry not "MANY". It all depends on where you were raised and your parents decision on whether to raise you that way. I don't draw the line saying "I won't be a victim". But where I do draw the line is..If you can't prove yourself to be a lawful abiding citizen then you lose your freedom for a VERY long time. So many of these "victims" would not have died if we "ENFORCED" laws and didn't "BEND" them. Some of these crimes would never have happenend if those criminals had been in jail as they were sentenced. You get a 10 year prison sentence.. you can be out in 3 years..it's sickening.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:47 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
I disagree.. I say "SOME" young people carry not "MANY". It all depends on where you were raised and your parents decision on whether to raise you that way. I don't draw the line saying "I won't be a victim". But where I do draw the line is..If you can't prove yourself to be a lawful abiding citizen then you lose your freedom for a VERY long time. So many of these "victims" would not have died if we "ENFORCED" laws and didn't "BEND" them. Some of these crimes would never have happenend if those criminals had been in jail as they were sentenced. You get a 10 year prison sentence.. you can be out in 3 years..it's sickening.

I would encourage you to do some research on who/age groups carry. You will be surprised.

Once again, you are looking for others to take care of your safety and security and in this day and time, it just is not going to happen. For a plethora of reasons! You are living in a dream world of today's court system sadly.

Eta: we all wish that people would act like they should and when they don't the courts would do their jobs but for many reasons, sometimes it doesn't work that way.

Last edited by sundrop; 03-11-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
Absolutely disgusting.
May God bless this person and their family.
May those responsible feel the wrath of justice.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:38 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,445 times
We need to bring the guillotine back....

Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
I don't carry a gun at the present, but plan to very soon. I'm taking a course to get my CWP this summer. Here's what made me decide: a few months ago, I was playing tennis with a good friend who is always armed and has had her CWP for about 15 years (she's a St. George native - I think they ALL have them up there! lol). Anyway, we played until after the lights came on and it was almost completely dark. Got our things together and walked out to our cars to find a couple of young "thugs" (20-somethings) from a neighboring community standing in the parking lot just behind some trees near our cars. As we got closer, they stepped out from the trees and started walking towards us making crude, threatening comments. My friend, pulls out her gun from her tennis skirt (you would never know from her petite size and looks that she would be armed!), and tells them they need to move away. Meanwhile I pulled out my cell phone and started dialing. They took off running through the trees and over in the next neighborhood. She says her gun scared them but I like to think it was my cell phone! lol j/k The police came and went to find them using our description, but we never heard anything more.

She's not afraid to use it and her motto is "shoot to kill not to maim". If they had pulled a weapon or tried to grab one of us, she would have used it I am sure. It certainly served as a good deterent that evening!

Lesson we learned: never play tennis after dark!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
It's horrible and sickens me that a young man who was willing to work for his money and doing the right thing, lost his life so senselessly. Our laws and penalties are much too lenient. my heart goes out to this young man's family.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
We need to bring the guillotine back....
Public hangings and floggings would do for me....

Madam Guillotine is too messy....

Old 03-11-2012, 06:06 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Me too, SCB... Heartbreaking...

Those with no respect for life and no feelings of remorse for a life taken...sociopaths/psychopaths..

...they need their own planet. Then they can kill each other and let the innocent live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
It's horrible and sickens me that a young man who was willing to work for his money and doing the right thing, lost his life so senselessly. Our laws and penalties are much too lenient. my heart goes out to this young man's family.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Public hangings and floggings would do for me....

Madam Guillotine is too messy....
I was about to post the same thing.

Public hangings would go a long way toward discouraging would-be criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area