Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 15,304 times

Advertisements

My husband's is being relocated from the Seattle area (which we love!). We can choose between Franklin, TN, Tampa, FL (near the airport), and North Charleston, SC. I have been doing research on these area's, trying to decide which would be the best for our family. We have 6 children, ranging from 3 to 20, so good public education is a priority, as well as safety! I'd like to get an insiders view to some of these areas. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:16 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
His work will be in North Charleston? You could be in Charleston, Mount Pleasant, West Ashley, Goose Creek, Hanahan and Summerville, including a few other spots, and still be within a very reasonnable commute for him. I'd recommend checking into all of the above areas as well as making a couple trips down to see the places for yourself. That'll work wonders in helping you decide which is a best fit for your family.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Ollie, Your budget will determine alot about where you can afford to live...

Old 03-16-2012, 04:27 PM

272 posts, read 909,065 times
North Charleston is in Charleston County, bad bad schools

Old 03-16-2012, 09:47 PM

370 posts, read 947,474 times
Charleston has a lot to offer, but hopefully you would be able to visit all 3 cities to get a better feel as to what each area has to offer. Where in North Charleston will you be working? Summerville would be a good nearby option for schools. Mt Pleasant is in Charleston County but has some great schools. If you are a beach person, then Franklin is a long distance from water. Franklin home prices are also higher than in the North Charleston area, if that is important to your budget. Franklin would be a pretty safe area, whereas North Charleston is sketchy. Keep us posted on your decision!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgrammie View Post
North Charleston is in Charleston County, bad bad schools
Part of North Charleston is in Dorchester County - good schools.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,119 times
Dorchester County Schools have one of the best reputations in the State. Sounds like your husband is being transferred with Boeing. I've helped many families relocate here. Good luck to you.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
While there are some good neighborhoods in North Charleston, they will be the exception not the rule. In other area towns, the good neighborhoods will be the rule, not the exception.

One area considered most desirous for living conditions and schools is Mount Pleasant but it will be costly there.

The general Summerville area will be attractive as it is one of the nicer, more reasonable cost areas.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,015 times
Ollie, my family just recently relocated here from the PNW as well. We lived all over Snohomish, Pierce and Thurston counties. If you tell me the communities you like best in WA I can tell you what would suit you here. As stated above, your budget is a HUGE factor.
The one thing you'll find is how much more cleary defined the subdivisions are here. If I said I live in "Charleston National" in Mount Pleasant nearly everyone would know what I was talking about. If I told someone on a similar board in WA that I lived in Brighton Park in Lake Stevens they would all look at me like I was nuts. Don't be surprised if people start pointing you towards specific subdivisions within cities, as the styles within the subdivisions vary significantly.

I'm going to assume with the size of your brood that you will be looking for a fairly large house. The one thing I noticed was how small the older homes were. Feel free to respond here or PM me directly if you have any questions.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:52 AM

10 posts, read 15,304 times
Thanks everyone for your input. Sounds like the Summerville area would be a good fit for our active family. We would need at least 4 bedrooms, and couldn't go above about $230. Still trying to decide between Tampa and Charleston. I don't know if we will be able to visit both before having to make our decision, so I'm relying a lot on word of mouth. Thanks for all your comments!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area