Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:28 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
One of my son's former health aides is from an old Charleston family who owned land on Daniel Island. They like so many other farmers got bought out by the big developers at very unfair prices for their land and way of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdchs View Post
I'm familiar with the development of Daniel Island and therefore can't help but correct the misconception that farmers were forced to sell their land to make room for development.

Before development began, the island was owned by a member of the Guggenheim family and used as a private hunting retreat.
So. I wonder which it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdchs View Post
I'm familiar with the development of Daniel Island and therefore can't help but correct the misconception that farmers were forced to sell their land to make room for development.

Before development began, the island was owned by a member of the Guggenheim family and used as a private hunting retreat. As 526 was getting ready to open (making the property directly accessible to Mt. Pleasant and North Charleston) a Guggenheim family foundation funded master planning for the island to establish a vision for what the island would become. The desire was for it to develop with a sense of place, not become a disconnected collection of strip malls and subdivisions. The Guggenheim foundation sold the land directly to the developer.
This is how I understood it too.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM

3,839 posts, read 3,066,312 times
jdchs has it pretty much nailed correctly.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Sterile
Ditto.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
Yes,,,,they used some kind of particle board on the exterior of the house. It would soak up water and swell up. Ive seen a LOT of the houses in there with wood and mold problems.
Yes. It is MDF. When they use it for siding on houses they call it "hard board". It swells up like a balloon if any moisture gets in. When I was looking at houses in Charlston, I saw one in West Ashley where they had tried to cover it up with vinyl siding.

I saw a video on YouTube where a contractor warned against using ANY mixed mediums such as vinyl clad wood. He says they were all marketed as state of the art but in truth will eventually have to be replaced because the materials aren't compatible long term. In the case of vinyl on wood, if any moisture gets through to the wood it will expand and break through the vinyl. Also the vinyl doesn't allow the wood to breathe. He says get solid vinyl or solid wood or solid fiberglass but not mixed.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Yes. It is MDF. When they use it for siding on houses they call it "hard board". It swells up like a balloon if any moisture gets in. When I was looking at houses in Charlston, I saw one in West Ashley where they had tried to cover it up with vinyl siding.

I saw a video on YouTube where a contractor warned against using ANY mixed mediums such as vinyl clad wood. He says they were all marketed as state of the art but in truth will eventually have to be replaced because the materials aren't compatible long term. In the case of vinyl on wood, if any moisture gets through to the wood it will expand and break through the vinyl. Also the vinyl doesn't allow the wood to breathe. He says get solid vinyl or solid wood or solid fiberglass but not mixed.
Yep, my house was fiberboard and I had to replace all the siding, trim, and most of the sheathing because of water infiltration. It's a VERY expensive thing to do if you end up with one of these houses. In the remodel of my existing home, I've practically built a new house. Will be fantastic for the next owner but a heck of a headache if you end up with one of these houses. Just to note, I live in Mt P and not on Daniel Island so it wasn't an exclusive issue to DI.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:49 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
What gripes my behind is when you see all these houses with cement plank siding and they used particle board for all the trim. What are these contractors thinking?!?

That certainly isn't something contained on Daniel Island. We've not officially looked at a single house on DI, but we see this phenomenon in many homes we have viewed elsewhere. I consider this a bad construction practice.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,669 times
Ive seen the same thing in "Charleston National" (MtP)

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,015 times
The medium density fiberboard was used heavily in Washington when it first came on the market as a siding material, and it became a HUGE problem because of the damp climate. Out there MDF became such a bad word for purchasers that even the greenest of shoppers were asking what kind of siding a house had on its walls. By the time my husband and I bought our first house in 1999 you couldn't go more than a block or so withough seeing a house being re-sided. I imagine that todays MDF is very different than what was used back then, but I will probably always be paranoid.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
The medium density fiberboard was used heavily in Washington when it first came on the market as a siding material, and it became a HUGE problem because of the damp climate. Out there MDF became such a bad word for purchasers that even the greenest of shoppers were asking what kind of siding a house had on its walls. By the time my husband and I bought our first house in 1999 you couldn't go more than a block or so withough seeing a house being re-sided. I imagine that todays MDF is very different than what was used back then, but I will probably always be paranoid.
They used the same stuff here. So, for some of these neighborhoods and houses that were built in the late 1990s, this was a prevalent problem as well. However, most of these homes have been bought and resided now. So, you're less likely to see this issue now but about 10 years ago it was a real concern. Believe Daniel Island had some additional issues with building technique. Saw the same problem happening a lot in Rivertowne too. The houses were having major mold problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area