U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 PM

475 posts, read 398,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorwig View Post
Hey Travelplant and Keithhtt, I see that you both lived in Sarasota, FL and I was wondering if you could please help me out? I currently live in Atlanta, GA and my husband and I are bored living here and we are planning a move to either Charleston, SC or Sarasota, FL. My husband grew up in San Francisco and we to USC in LA and he would like to live close to a beach. He is a hospital software conversion consultant and travels in the SE, so we can live pretty much anywhere in the area. We have 2 young girls, 3 and 6, so schools are important to us. We have taken househunting trips to both Sarasota and Charleston already. My husband thinks that Sarasota is "paradise" and he would love to live there. I am leaning towards Charleston, so I wold be close to my sister in Columbia, SC. We have no family in Atlanta and my husband's family all lives in CA.

We are really torn over where to move this summer. Did you enjoy living in Sarasota and do you think it would be a good place to raise our girls? We just got back from a week there at the Long Boat Key Club and also the Ritz Carlton and we had such an amazing time going to the beach every day. I am concerned about - the hot summers, abundance of retirees, isolation from the rest of the US, schools, cost of living, etc. However, we really enjoy the arts and good restaurants, and Sarasota seems to have a lot to offer in that regard. We looked at Lakewood Ranch, and I agree that it is too manufactured and too far out. My husband fell in love with Bird Key, with its closeness to downtown and the beach. We are looking in the $700 - 1M range and it doesn't seem like we can get that great of a house close in.

In Charleston, I fell in love with the I'on neighborhood and especially Olde Park. My husband is insisting on having a yard, garage and some privacy, so way may not be able to find all of those things in our price range. I definitely want to be very close to the historic district and not too far from the beach.

What are thoughts of living in Sarasota vs. Charleston? I would love to hear your thoughts......why did you move away from Sarasota? Thank you so very much!
I still live in Sarasota but am always looking for another place to live. You seem to have discovered the positives about Sarasota. As far as your concerns... There are a lot of retirees here and we have grown weary of that.However, there are still plenty of young people and I'm sure you could seek them out being so young yourselves. We have no experience with the schools here but many on City Data are happy with them. The kids I have met from the area at work are bright and polite.
We are all less than happy with the months on end of 90 degrees and humid weather but the last 6 months truly would qualify as paradise type weather. I have loved the ocean all my life but the three of us (51,18,19) and my sister's family south of us have grown bored with the beach.However it is the best place to walk or run as far as safety to you knees&feet and the chance of being hit by a car on the beach are nil.
As far as why I want to move. I miss the the fall and the change and coolness it brings. I don't like being isolated from the rest of the country as you mentioned. While I do like the downtown and Bayfront area a lot. I miss houses and buildings that predate the 1920's. I grew up near small towns with Victorian age neighborhoods and downtown's with mature trees growing over the streets and houses with big front porches and I miss it.
And finally, though the people are friendly enough I think I would be happier in a more conservative area. I would welcome the friendliness of the true south over what I have encountered from some of our friends from the New York/New England area. And I do emphisine the word 'some'.
I hope I've helped. Enjoy your fact finding and discovering . It's half the fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 PM

rmorwig, BTW if you decide on Sarasota give the area south of the south bridge a look. It's clearly marked as the Palmer Ranch area and I believe you would find a nice family neighborhood with a garage and some privacy. You would be 25 to 35 minutes from the downtown-Bayfront area but you would be 9 minutes or less from the S bridge to Siesta Key. And you would have a lot less traffic to contend with in your daily lives.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
I still live in Sarasota but am always looking for another place to live. You seem to have discovered the positives about Sarasota. As far as your concerns... There are a lot of retirees here and we have grown weary of that.However, there are still plenty of young people and I'm sure you could seek them out being so young yourselves. We have no experience with the schools here but many on City Data are happy with them. The kids I have met from the area at work are bright and polite.
We are all less than happy with the months on end of 90 degrees and humid weather but the last 6 months truly would qualify as paradise type weather. I have loved the ocean all my life but the three of us (51,18,19) and my sister's family south of us have grown bored with the beach.However it is the best place to walk or run as far as safety to you knees&feet and the chance of being hit by a car on the beach are nil.
As far as why I want to move. I miss the the fall and the change and coolness it brings. I don't like being isolated from the rest of the country as you mentioned. While I do like the downtown and Bayfront area a lot. I miss houses and buildings that predate the 1920's. I grew up near small towns with Victorian age neighborhoods and downtown's with mature trees growing over the streets and houses with big front porches and I miss it.
And finally, though the people are friendly enough I think I would be happier in a more conservative area. I would welcome the friendliness of the true south over what I have encountered from some of our friends from the New York/New England area. And I do emphisine the word 'some'.
I hope I've helped. Enjoy your fact finding and discovering . It's half the fun!
keithhtt,

Judging by your reply to rmorwig you still like Sarasota, FL but you seem to favour Charleston, SC more am I correct? I too am considering moving to Sarasota, but after reading both posts, I am now leaning back to Charleston. I currently live in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ and hate this place with a passion. I miss the beach and friendly, real people not to mention green grass in my yard!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelPlant View Post
Yeah the heat won't be a problem, of that I'm sure, I lived three years on the West coast of south Florida, moved there in July '10 and it was heat and humidity day and night like I'd never seen. That first summer was rough but honestly after the first "winter" and I'm wearing flip flops and t shirts in January the next summer was much easier to tolerate, after being there a year my body had totally acclimated, I was in great shape and loved the heat, summer really didn't bother me anymore at all. I expect the same would happen in Charleston.

I just watched that video posted by Bob the real estate guy on Mt Pleasant, definitely gave it a better view than what I saw, and explained how the town is laid out so I understood which parts would be more agreeable for us. I think after watching that video I'm convinced it's worth a 2nd look if we end up there, if for no other reason that living there I wouldn't have to pay for private school, I'd get a lot more house & lifestyle(community pool, tennis, closer to beach) for the money than living downtown. Downside of course is losing the walkability factor which is big in my book.... as long as there are taxi's to take me back and forth over the bridge when I feel like partying then it would work perhaps.

Seeing the construction does mean the town is investing in itself and anticipates further growth and property value increases. Despite my reservations it's hard to argue that Mt. Pleasant is clearly the area of Charleston poised to continue to appeal to those who have money and are willing to drop it on a home. I think Daniel island would be the place to move if you could afford over 4 million on a house then you can really get a palatial waterfront estate there... so it's out for us!

Which subdivisions in Mt. Pleasant would be considered the most walkable, in terms of walking to grocery store, walk to a pub, walk to a coffee shop. I learned from that video I'On for example has those in the community, any others?
TravelPlant,

Is the heat really that bad in the Sarasota area? How bad does it get? I currently live in Phoenix,AZ and 118 degrees is the summer norm with gusts up to 122! As far as humidity is it like so Cal along the beach? What about Charleston? It's not like Houston, TX with 100+ degrees with 100% humidity? The research that I have done appears to be tollerable around the 80-90 mark with 75 % humidity. Is that right? I'm torn now between Sarasota, FL and Charleston, SC. I know what I want, I just don't know which is more to my liking. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 PM

Catco , I have never been to Charleston so I can't compare it to Sarasota. The heat in Sarasota is upper 80's to low 90's for at least 6 months. It is very humid but the plus is the almost constant Gulf breeze. Many people comment what a beautiful day it is when I'm thinking it's fine for a walk from my car to the store or the car to home but that's it! I guess it's all a matter of what you like and if your body can get used to it over time. Many people leave here and go halfway back up north but many stay. Since my search began for a new place I have explored (online only) all of SC and NC and came full circle to Greenville SC. I don't think I will miss the beach but if I do it's a 3 hour drive. I have yet to visit but am planning one for this fall. It seems to have most everything I've been looking for .

Last edited by keithhtt; 07-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: wrong name

Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,228,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catco100 View Post
As far as humidity is it like so Cal along the beach?

Thanks
Absolutely not. The only time Southern California even comes remotely close to the humidity levels here in the South is on an absolute worst day during an El Niño storm, and even that can't really compare. You have to travel down south past Alcupulco before you start feeling humidity levels that are comparable.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:46 AM

5,081 posts, read 7,698,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Absolutely not. The only time Southern California even comes remotely close to the humidity levels here in the South is on an absolute worst day during an El Niño storm, and even that can't really compare. You have to travel down south past Alcupulco before you start feeling humidity levels that are comparable.
This.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM

146 posts, read 100,417 times
Thanks for writing this up! My husband and I are road tripping down to Charleston next month with our 12 month old, pretty much doing exactly what you did. It was really helpful to read such a detailed review!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM

180 posts, read 152,185 times
I spent time with transplants from New York and also roomed with one for about a year. I understand this is not indicative of all northerners, but they would also gossip. I hats the stereotype that Southerners will be nice to your face and talk behind your back. If you've ever seen reality TV, people from everywhere talk behind your back. Other people might be more direct sometimes, but that doesn't mean people from the south are am exception. I think a lot of us tend to avoid "unpleasantries" more.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
I spent time with transplants from New York and also roomed with one for about a year. I understand this is not indicative of all northerners, but they would also gossip. I hats the stereotype that Southerners will be nice to your face and talk behind your back. If you've ever seen reality TV, people from everywhere talk behind your back. Other people might be more direct sometimes, but that doesn't mean people from the south are am exception. I think a lot of us tend to avoid "unpleasantries" more.
I agree. I think some people may get the wrong impression when they encounter people that are friendlier than what they are used to . They may read more into it (the friendliness )than is there.Friendliness can a part of everyday life because it is the polite way to be. It doesn't mean your best friends out of the gate and no one will talk behind your back. Everyone talks about people. We're darn interesting subjects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area