U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,290,009 times
Default Charleston Thug Life

Anyone see this?

Charleston Thug Life

New blog seeks to draw attention to thugs on Charleston’s streets | The Post and Courier | Charleston SC, News, Sports, Entertainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 PM

152 posts, read 142,754 times
Charleston has a very violent, nasty criminal side. The local cities (Charleston and Mt P in particular) take huge efforts to hide it to keep the image and tourism fresh. But.....it's ok. As long as the local media and many citizens keep trashing on the cops trying to contain it, it'll keep growing and they wont be able to hide it any longer.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:06 PM

895 posts, read 698,174 times
Yikes. As a guy who's had Summerville and Mt Pleasant on a short list of places to consider for a move back to the Carolinas down the road ... to what extent would you say does this violent criminal element affect the safety and quality of life in Summerville and Mt Pleasant?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:04 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,290,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Yikes. As a guy who's had Summerville and Mt Pleasant on a short list of places to consider for a move back to the Carolinas down the road ... to what extent would you say does this violent criminal element affect the safety and quality of life in Summerville and Mt Pleasant?
I just thought it was an interesting blog. All they did was go through facebook pages and find the "thugs." My guess is that the thugs live in certain areas, just like anywhere else in the world.

I have heard Summerville is a great place to live. I haven't been yet, but it looks nice. A lot of people on this forum live there or near there. I live in Mt. Pleasant and it is another great place to live. I wouldn't worry about moving to Summerville or Mt. Pleasant. I don't think you can go wrong with either town.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,258,800 times
It's funny you should post this now, as we just returned from a week in SC, one entire day of which we spent in Charleston. We have been to Charleston at least half a dozen times over the years, and I have always been passionately in love with the city. However, for some reason, I just got a different vibe this time. For one thing, there were tons more tourists than I remember seeing the other times we were there, most recently two years ago. Throngs of people vying--oftentimes very rudely--for space on the sidewalks, quite literally. Also, it seemed that I kept seeing folks who appeared, for lack of a better way of putting it, to be up to no good, and I honestly don't remember this element being there on previous visits. "Thug" would probably be a good word to sum it up, and then I come here and read about Charleston's thug problem. Hmm...IDK, but something just didn't feel "right" about it this time, and for the first time ever I was not entirely sad upon leaving the city, and for the first time ever, I could not remotely envision living there, not that we're planning a move or anything. It left me with a strangely sad feeling, instead of the pleasant satisfaction and awe that I used to feel after a trip to Charleston. Maybe we were just there on a bad day, who knows, but it still makes one think.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,226,604 times
If you just got back -- and it was race week end -- yeah you came at the busiest time. As for 'thugs' downtown -- stuff doesn't happen downtown. The thugs tend to hang together and be thug like with each other <G>........

Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 PM

895 posts, read 698,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I wouldn't worry about moving to Summerville or Mt. Pleasant. I don't think you can go wrong with either town.
Thanks. The next town over from mine has had serious gang problems for years (several different active gangs), but it's restricted to certain neighborhoods and doesn't impact my town at all. Sounds like the greater Charleston area is pretty much the same.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 PM

152 posts, read 142,754 times
The nasty parts are certain parts of downtown, west ashley and north charleston. Some problems in james island and summerville, but not as vast. Mt P has its days, but not bad either.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 AM

6,087 posts, read 2,590,110 times
I would say the crime in Mt Pleasant and Summerville is pretty darn low for towns of similar size. I know I looked it up on a dB that collects those stats once (FBI site maybe??) and those towns had ridiculously low crime compared to other towns of similar size. That being said, North Charleston has traditionally had a very high crime rate for a town of its size. It has improved dramatically but still has a pretty significant crime problem. West Ashley, it seems, is having an increasing crime problem. But, there isn't any single location in Charleston that is completely 100% void of crime but I am guessing there's not any other locations in the US that can claim that for a similar sized city.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:52 AM

870 posts, read 896,594 times
My $.02 for what it's worth (probably a great deal less tha $.02)

I grew up in Summerville. More accurately, I lived in Summerville more than anywhere else between 1981 and 2009 (yeah I stayed at home pretty late in life and didn't move out until I could afford to buy rather than rent).

In the time I spent living in Summerville, we were only the victims of "crime" 3 times.

1. I had a watch stolen at the neighborhood pool one year.
2. Some Christmas decorations we put in the front yard got swiped one year.
3. One morning, we came out to the driveway to find the tires on my Mom's car slashed.

All of these happened in the early to mid 90's in Ashborough East.

I was never overly aware of a "thug" problem in the area until I was much older. Honestly, based on what I've seen on the blog, these guys are confined to specific areas and, if you are considering Summerville or Mt Pleasant, you won't be living in those areas.

This is not to say that crime does not exist here but if your only source of info is this blog then it paints a much bleaker picture of the situation than is actually true.

Crime is here, crime is actually everywhere, but I feel like it's pretty well contained in the "better" areas. If nothing else, local police and the newspaper get together and shame people out of doing it again by printing names, photos, addresses etc of anyone they arrest during drug busts, prostitution stings or almost anything else you can think of.

The one murder I've heard of in Mt P in the last few years ended up getting an article in the paper. The article went something like

"John Smith was shot and killed by Jane Doe and Jack Jones last Thursday in his Mt Pleasant home. Smith first contacted Doe, a prostitute, on Wednesday evening and then refused to pay for her services. Doe and Jones, who runs the service Doe works for, returned to Smiths home and shot him in the front yard. Here are photos of everyone involved. The incident occurred at 123 Oh My God, I can't believe they're actually printing the address Ave. in the Seriously, we need to know the neighborhood too? area of Mt. Pleasant. Smith worked at You've got to be kidding me, we don't need to know where he...oh nevermind."

Bottom line is, you break the law in Charleston and EVERYONE gets to know all of your business.

Prostitution and drug stings get similar writeups with names, ages, addresses, places of (probably former after this article) employment etc.

The point is that yes, crime happens here. It is no where near as bad as the blog makes it out to be. Honestly, I looked at the blog and my guess is that no more than half of the thugs featured on it are anything to worry about. The rest seemed to be either small time hoods who aren't a danger to anyone who lives more than one street away or are just dumb kids showing off trying to look cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area