U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-09-2012, 08:32 AM

15 posts, read 12,119 times
Default Follys, Isle of Palms, and Sullivans Island Beach Parking

My husband and I are coming down to Charleston from April 30th to May 3rd and wanted to visit at least one beach.

Out of the 3 listed, which one do you recommend? Which beach has easy (free) parking on the streets?

Follys Beach - heard that it was closed for the 2012 season due to erosion? Is this true?

Isle of Palms - which streets can we park on?

Sullivans Island - the "calm" non-touristy beach and we can park on Station 22 1/2 and 23rd Streets for free?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-09-2012, 08:54 AM

7,321 posts, read 5,622,980 times
Folly Beach....no it is not closed, however thhe county park there is, due to a storm.

There is some parking on the street at Folly but you best be good at parallel parking. Your tires cannot be on the lines or outside of them, you will get a ticket. There is plenty of parking at Folly, parking prices range from $7-10/day.

Unread 04-09-2012, 08:57 AM

2,500 posts, read 1,420,168 times
We went to IOP last weekend and got there just before 11AM. The street parking was full around there, but there was a lot for 5 dollar all day parking.

Unread 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM

160 posts, read 122,589 times
Street parking at Folly is easy enough but you can't be on the edge of the street - at all - or you will get a $50 ticket as noted above. I know because I had literally about 2" of one tire on the edge of the pavement on Easter Sunday and got said ticket.

Interesting to note that the N.C. car behind me had a ticket as well for being right at the edge, but the large SUV from N.Y. (which was there when I parked and was well over the edge) did not have a ticket . . . I'd hate to think FBPD was targeting the locals & near locals for these BS tickets but it makes me wonder anyway.

Where I parked there was an overgrown bush that made it hard to pull far enough over. "That should be OK" I thought. So much for that. This was on Ashley Ave., between 4th & 5th.

Unread 04-09-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherCountry View Post
Street parking at Folly is easy enough but you can't be on the edge of the street - at all - or you will get a $50 ticket as noted above. I know because I had literally about 2" of one tire on the edge of the pavement on Easter Sunday and got said ticket.

Interesting to note that the N.C. car behind me had a ticket as well for being right at the edge, but the large SUV from N.Y. (which was there when I parked and was well over the edge) did not have a ticket . . . I'd hate to think FBPD was targeting the locals & near locals for these BS tickets but it makes me wonder anyway.

Where I parked there was an overgrown bush that made it hard to pull far enough over. "That should be OK" I thought. So much for that. This was on Ashley Ave., between 4th & 5th.
This is scary news! So the pavement has rectangle lines for the cars and your car must be in the rectangle and the tires must not go over the line? I've never been to any of these beaches so I don't know how parking is done.

Unread 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Folly Beach....no it is not closed, however thhe county park there is, due to a storm.

There is some parking on the street at Folly but you best be good at parallel parking. Your tires cannot be on the lines or outside of them, you will get a ticket. There is plenty of parking at Folly, parking prices range from $7-10/day.
Thanks for this advice! I'm planning on visiting Page's Okra grill I remember your username from my other post!

Unread 04-09-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
We went to IOP last weekend and got there just before 11AM. The street parking was full around there, but there was a lot for 5 dollar all day parking.
Thanks! What was the address of that $5 parking all day lot?

Unread 04-09-2012, 09:32 AM

2,498 posts, read 4,484,749 times
No, on Folly, and most beaches here, you can park along the main roads in front of homes, ec. Folly just requires (and strictly enforces) that if you do so, make sure your tires are not touching the pavement, i.e. your car is -completely- off the road, parked on the sand/dirt/gravel.

Unread 04-09-2012, 09:34 AM

2,498 posts, read 4,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexingtonians View Post
It's just off the main strip. When you get onto IOP from the IOP connector, just go straight through the traffic light, and as you curve around to the right, you'll see signs for the $5 parking lots on your right.

Unread 04-09-2012, 09:36 AM

2,500 posts, read 1,420,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexingtonians View Post
I don't know... We went to Luke & Ollie's for pizza and it was right across the street from that... so if you are trying to map it just map Luke & Ollie's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area